Old 31-03-2010, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Opinions please

Sacha wrote:
Whether it works or not is another matter - I have considered trying to do a
blind trial test on it, but since I rarely get time to even plant, let alone
be told what I can plant when, it seems most unlikely I ever will.

It's used on a commercial basis, too. This wine is wonderful:
http://www.romanin.com/pages/biodynamie.php?lang=en

There is a market for biodynamic crops, same as for organic. It's just a
slightly smaller market, I think. :-)
(I buy occasional biodynamic organic stuff, but the biodynamicness of it is
not relevant to the purchase!)

Although (and I'm sure someone can cite to prove me wrong!) I think
biodynamic takes a lot more into account than just the moon phase, iirc?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Sacha wrote:
Whether it works or not is another matter - I have considered trying to do a
blind trial test on it, but since I rarely get time to even plant, let alone
be told what I can plant when, it seems most unlikely I ever will.

It's used on a commercial basis, too. This wine is wonderful:
http://www.romanin.com/pages/biodynamie.php?lang=en

There is a market for biodynamic crops, same as for organic. It's just a
slightly smaller market, I think. :-)
(I buy occasional biodynamic organic stuff, but the biodynamicness of it is
not relevant to the purchase!)

Although (and I'm sure someone can cite to prove me wrong!) I think
biodynamic takes a lot more into account than just the moon phase, iirc?

Yup. holy grails and gullibility.

D&RFC

--
Rusty
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-31, wrote:

David in Normandy wrote:
My neighbour does his gardening based on the phase
of the moon. Such ancient superstition is common here in rural
communities.

I believe the basis of the moon phase planting (and planting out and
harvesting) is all related to the effect on water by the moon, as displayed
in the tides. It is meant to relate to the water being 'drawn up' more
easily at the times it's needed, etc.

Gruber's Town and Country Almanack (USA) used to print information
about this, and ISTR it was a bit more complicated than just the
phases, but I'm not certain.

Whether it works or not is another matter - I have considered trying to do a
blind trial test on it, but since I rarely get time to even plant, let alone
be told what I can plant when, it seems most unlikely I ever will.

A friend of mine told me that he and his father built a fence on the
farm in stages, and that the fenceposts they put in when the moon's
horns were pointing down stayed stable longer than the others, but
they didn't do an organized trial.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Adam Funk wrote:

A friend of mine told me that he and his father built a fence on the
farm in stages, and that the fenceposts they put in when the moon's
horns were pointing down stayed stable longer than the others, but
they didn't do an organized trial.

Now that *IS* clever - the moon's horns *NEVER* face down...

--
Rusty
Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-07, Rusty Hinge wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

A friend of mine told me that he and his father built a fence on the
farm in stages, and that the fenceposts they put in when the moon's
horns were pointing down stayed stable longer than the others, but
they didn't do an organized trial.

Now that *IS* clever - the moon's horns *NEVER* face down...

Doh! I don't remember the details very well. He noted whatever the
moon is supposed to be doing to "keep things down".

Old 08-04-2010, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-07 20:21:24 +0100, Adam Funk said:

[fence posts & the moon]

Doh! I don't remember the details very well. He noted whatever the
moon is supposed to be doing to "keep things down".

The general belief is that things grow better if planted when the moon
is waxing, not when it's waning.

Right, and the oppositie condition (waning) is supposed to be
favourable for "keeping things down", e.g., weeding and setting fence
posts.