Old 02-05-2010, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dandelions

aquachimp wrote:
On Apr 25, 7:34 pm, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
aquachimp wrote:
Is dandelion wine a laxative?

No. Why?

As mentioned earlier, diuretic was the word I had meant to use;
Applying the same question as to why I might want to know if
dandelions retain their diuretic influence when converted to wine,
well I just wondered. I'm curious about such matters and then some, eg
does the wine making properties change a product, as in alter its
properties (in this case dandelion) so much?

he diuretic properties of dents de lion are not strong. The amount of it
which would find its way into wine would be minute, almost to the point
of homeopatheticism.

--
Rusty
Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 May 2010 12:06:44 -0700 (PDT), aquachimp
wrote:

On May 2, 8:29*pm, Alan wrote:
In message
,
aquachimp wrote

On Apr 25, 7:34*pm, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
aquachimp wrote:
Is dandelion wine a laxative?

No. Why?

As mentioned earlier, diuretic was the word I had meant to use;

Alcohol is a diuretic
--
Alan

Hmm; I wouldn't be in a position to know that seeing as I never did
manage to develop much of a taste or tolerance for the stuff.

Are the flowers also diuretic or just the leaves? I've only ever used
the flowers for wine and had no problems there. I think the
****-en-lit properties apply to the leaves only. I may be wrong!

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-05-2010, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

homeopatheticism.

Oh I like that! I must remember to use it when I'm arguing with quacks!
Graham

Old 03-05-2010, 08:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

graham wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

homeopatheticism.

Oh I like that! I must remember to use it when I'm arguing with
quacks! Graham

Yes, definitely a keeper. On the substantive matter, I think it's the
leaves rather than the flowers which contain the virtue, and it's the
flowers, plus a few calices, that go in the wine.

--
Mike.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
graham wrote:
"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message

homeopatheticism.

Oh I like that! I must remember to use it when I'm arguing with
quacks! Graham

Yes, definitely a keeper. On the substantive matter, I think it's the
leaves rather than the flowers which contain the virtue,

Probably that milky sap.
Graham

"Weed Hound" for Dandelions... some thoughts Brian Gardening 8 07-01-2005 02:27 AM
[IBC] Dandelions as bonsai - was Dormancy for KingswoodYardsai Roger Snipes Bonsai 1 01-11-2003 02:13 AM
Killing Dandelions Andy & Lucinda Lawns 3 21-04-2003 10:56 AM
Dandelions Shadow Gardening 31 03-03-2003 09:51 PM
OT Spring Beauties & Dandelions Nedra Ponds 6 04-02-2003 11:04 PM