Old 09-05-2010, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant identification

A creeper type plant has started growing, picture he
www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0016.jpg

There is a clump of half a dozen shhots that first appeared a couple
of months ago. It twists itself around anything adjacent and appears
to grow quite fast. Does anyone know what it is?

Dave
Old 09-05-2010, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Dave
writes
A creeper type plant has started growing, picture he
www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0016.jpg

There is a clump of half a dozen shhots that first appeared a couple
of months ago. It twists itself around anything adjacent and appears
to grow quite fast. Does anyone know what it is?

Dave

It looks like an unwelcome guest. Bindweed/Convulvulus type. Try to get
rid of it. It usually runs with roots not too deep.

The following link has lots of info and some good advice.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...yemm/7567181/H
ow-to-eradicate-bindweed-Helen-Yemm.html

or just Google "How to eradicate bindweed" if the link is too long.

Hope this helps.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Dave
writes
A creeper type plant has started growing, picture he
www.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0016.jpg

There is a clump of half a dozen shhots that first appeared a couple
of months ago. It twists itself around anything adjacent and appears
to grow quite fast. Does anyone know what it is?

Dave

As has been said, something in Convolvulaceae. I'd guess at one of the
Calystegias, but until it flowers I can't be sure of the identification.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-05-2010, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 9 May 2010 11:39:19 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Are you sure it's bindweed and not its more desirale cousin, Ipomoea
indica? I wonder what the neighbours are/were growing!

I've just dug down and it is coming from under the fence that backs
onto a public pathway, so would assume it's like the rest of the weeds
that come through and is not there for its beauty!

Dave
Old 09-05-2010, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

Are you sure it's bindweed and not its more desirale cousin, Ipomoea
indica? I wonder what the neighbours are/were growing!

The leaves are wrong (I. indica's are darker, duller and mostly
ivy-shaped) and the stems are a bit too 'translucent'. It also doesn't
grow from deep roots but a rootstock.

As Robert says, it's almost certainly a greater bindweed of sorts;
as you say, a very attractive plant but a terrible thug.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pam Moore
writes
white convolvulus flowers

Calystegia sepium and Calystegia silvatica usually (but not always) have
white flowers, by Calystegia pulchra has pink flowers, and Convolvulus
arvensis can have white or pink flowers. (Around here Calystegia sepium
and Calystegia silvatica are much the commoner - over 10 times commoner
that Calystegia pulchra, and Convolulus arvensis appears to be even
rarer - but I've seen suggestions this isn't true everywhere in the
country.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-05-2010, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article , Sacha
wrote:

Are you sure it's bindweed and not its more desirale cousin, Ipomoea
indica? I wonder what the neighbours are/were growing!

The leaves are wrong (I. indica's are darker, duller and mostly
ivy-shaped) and the stems are a bit too 'translucent'. It also doesn't
grow from deep roots but a rootstock.

As Robert says, it's almost certainly a greater bindweed of sorts;
as you say, a very attractive plant but a terrible thug.

It needs to come up for that reason but I haven't forgotten my neighbour
saying "I have a wonderful lily climbing up my hedge."
I suppose it all depends how you view it.
Tina

Old 09-05-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Are you sure it's bindweed and not its more desirale cousin, Ipomoea
indica? I wonder what the neighbours are/were growing!

The leaves are wrong (I. indica's are darker, duller and mostly
ivy-shaped) and the stems are a bit too 'translucent'. It also doesn't
grow from deep roots but a rootstock.

As Robert says, it's almost certainly a greater bindweed of sorts;
as you say, a very attractive plant but a terrible thug.

It needs to come up for that reason but I haven't forgotten my neighbour
saying "I have a wonderful lily climbing up my hedge."
I suppose it all depends how you view it.

Quite :-)

If they weren't so invasive, most of the bindweeds and dandelion
would be grown as garden plants, and probably have special varieties
developed by enthusiasts!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
Christina Websell wrote:

Are you sure it's bindweed and not its more desirale cousin, Ipomoea
indica? I wonder what the neighbours are/were growing!

The leaves are wrong (I. indica's are darker, duller and mostly
ivy-shaped) and the stems are a bit too 'translucent'. It also doesn't
grow from deep roots but a rootstock.

As Robert says, it's almost certainly a greater bindweed of sorts;
as you say, a very attractive plant but a terrible thug.

It needs to come up for that reason but I haven't forgotten my neighbour
saying "I have a wonderful lily climbing up my hedge."
I suppose it all depends how you view it.

Quite :-)

If they weren't so invasive, most of the bindweeds and dandelion
would be grown as garden plants, and probably have special varieties
developed by enthusiasts!

She was gutted when I told her it was an invasive weed, but I did say it
was OK for her to grow it providing she kept it on her side, as I'd spent
years getting rid of bindweed in my own garden and was free of it
eventually. It's as bad as ground elder and I've got rid of that too.
Nettles are the problem now. I spent two hours digging them up today and
you cannot really see much difference.
Either my garden is now too big for me or I am too small for it ;-)
1,000 sq yds easily get away from me when I'm working 5/7
The birds like the wilderness.

Dandelions are a crop for my chickens, the more the better.
Tina

Old 09-05-2010, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Dandelions are a crop for my chickens, the more the better.

I've been feeding ours the useless white sprouting broccoli that didn't ever
really produce any brocolli this year. They really enjoy it, especially if
I dangle it from the fence.

When you feed dandelions do you just feed the flowers, or the flowers +
leaves, or the whole plant?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post

One thing that makes me hesitate about the Convolvulus ID is that it's
just not very 'twiny'. We have baby convolvulus coming up now that is
no more than 6" high and is already wrapping itself very strongly
around e.g. Allium stems.
My convolvulus (strictly Calystegia as Stewart said, but basically the big white bindweed) is well over 6 inches and still going up like a rocket. If you look at the picture, there isn't anything there for it to twine round - once it gets up to the cross bar on the fence, there seems to be a wire for it to twine round, and it's pretty 'twiny' after that.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5月9ζ—₯, 午後6:40, (Dave) wrote:
A creeper type plant has started growing, picture hewww.dalecu.co.uk/images/Dscf0016.jpg

There is a clump of half a dozen shhots that first appeared a couple
of months ago. It twists itself around anything adjacent and appears
to grow quite fast. Does anyone know what it is?

Dave

it looks to me a moonflower (?). This is just my idea.
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...ane/34f1c2.jpg
Anyway, i think it's not too late to get rid it until you see a
flower.

Ono
Old 11-05-2010, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ono wrote:
On 5=E6=9C=889=E6=97=A5, =E5=8D=88=E5=BE=8C6:40, (Dave) w=
rote:
A creeper type plant has started growing, picture hewww.dalecu.co.uk/i=

mages/Dscf0016.jpg

There is a clump of half a dozen shhots that first appeared a couple
of months ago. It twists itself around anything adjacent and appears
to grow quite fast. Does anyone know what it is?

it looks to me a moonflower (?). This is just my idea.
http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...ane/34f1c2.jpg
Anyway, i think it's not too late to get rid it until you see a
flower.

It does. It isn't. Sorry, but I grow that. It's a strictly tropical
annual, does not produce shoots like that, and I doubt that it would
grow outside anywhere in the UK (or its seeds overwinter).

I can recommend a moonflower as a good conservatory plant.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.