Old 13-05-2010, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plant ID request

I came across this growing in a crack in a pavement. I assume it's an
escape from some garden, but I don't recognise it.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot24.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot25.jpg

Looks as it might be something in the old Scrophulariaceae, perhaps in
the region of Linaria or Antirrhinum.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-05-2010, 12:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I came across this growing in a crack in a pavement. I assume it's an
escape from some garden, but I don't recognise it.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot24.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot25.jpg

Looks as it might be something in the old Scrophulariaceae, perhaps in the
region of Linaria or Antirrhinum.
--

Looks too fleshy for those, more like a flowering sedum or Echeveria.
Does it have white sap? Then, maybe, an Asclepia.

someone

Old 14-05-2010, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , someone
writes

I came across this growing in a crack in a pavement. I assume it's an
escape from some garden, but I don't recognise it.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot24.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot25.jpg

Looks as it might be something in the old Scrophulariaceae, perhaps in the
region of Linaria or Antirrhinum.
--

Looks too fleshy for those, more like a flowering sedum or Echeveria.
Does it have white sap? Then, maybe, an Asclepia.

I agree that it looks too fleshy for the usual run of Linaria and
Antirrhinum (Linaria alpina looked the closest match, but even that's
not fleshy enough, and the flower colour is different), but the flowers
are wrong for Sedum, Echeveria and Ascelepias, all of which have
actinomorphic flowers.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-05-2010, 09:14 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone View Post
I came across this growing in a crack in a pavement. I assume it's an
escape from some garden, but I don't recognise it.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot24.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Dicot25.jpg

Looks as it might be something in the old Scrophulariaceae, perhaps in the
region of Linaria or Antirrhinum.

lobing of the lower lip is right for Penstemon (see palmeiri for example) but leaves are wrong
Quote:
--
Quote:
Looks too fleshy for those, more like a flowering sedum or Echeveria.
Does it have white sap? Then, maybe, an Asclepia.

someone
Not the right flower shape, is it?
Old 14-05-2010, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

It is a Linaria and probably one of the supina group although that
leads us into on of the largest aggregations within Linaria, which is
not too helpful. Judging by the apparently thickened, obtuse-
mucronate leaves, I suspect it's origins are Mediterranean and a plant
of the maquis or similar habitats. Given a warmer, drier climate on
poorer soil, the leaves would not normally be as broad. The flower
colour is wrong for supina, so I'm tempted to think along the lines of
L. depauperata, which has several subspecies, or at least a primary
hybrid with depauperata as a parent. That's about as far as I can
go. I grew L. supina and depauperata many years ago during a brief
phase when I was slightly 'into' alpines and rockery plants.
Seedlings from them did exhibit varying degrees of veining, as well as
colours from yellow to white in supina and off-white to purplish in
depauperata.

Old 14-05-2010, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Dave Poole writes
[...]

I was speculating on those lines, and had gone so far as to download the
Linaria treatment from Flora Iberica. The figures therein show narrow
leaves with acute apices, but reading the text Linaria supina does
sometimes show obtuse apices. The leaf habit does look a bit more like
depauperata than supina.

Stace does mention a hybrid (Linaria x cornubiensis) between Linaria
supina and Linaria repens, but that's stunningly rare (and probably has
a more lax stem structure).

Thanks.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Another mystery plant ID request Merle O'Broham Gardening 2 02-06-2005 06:41 PM
Plant ID request Toni Gardening 3 13-04-2005 08:15 PM
1st Pond cleaning today....Plant request jammer Ponds 5 17-09-2003 12:32 AM
1st Pond cleaning today....Plant request jammer Ponds 0 16-09-2003 02:35 AM
Plant ID request Cindy Gardening 1 13-03-2003 01:56 AM