Old 16-05-2010, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default growing mushrooms outdoors in the UK

is it possible?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 16-05-2010, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
is it possible?

It must be, going by the wild ones we pick. Don't ask me how
though.

Mike

Old 17-05-2010, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Gill Smith" contains these words:

is it possible?

That's where they came from.

Janet

quite so

but I vaguely remember a trip to a commercial grower

dark and very hot/humid

I'd grow them indoors but it's the mouldy smell I'm not keen on

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 17-05-2010, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
is it possible?

Possible, as mushrooms grow naturally in the wild.
Effectively, to produce a good crop out of a small area of ground, not so
sure.

Field mushrooms grow under grassland and will pop up if the conditions are
right but they don't seem to do this very often (at least, not in my
previous back garden).
I do have memories of reading about a mushroom picking industry in the 18C -
19C where wild field mushrooms were picked in the fields outside London then
shipped in to the markets, but Google is not being my friend at the moment.

A lot of mushrooms grow slowly in the damp shade of woods on or under
rotting trees.
Unless you have a lot of woodland this doesn't seem cost effective, and the
cropping doesn't seem to be that high.

Also, if you provide good conditions for mushrooms outside, you have to know
your mushrooms when it comes to weeding out unwanted varieties and picking
safe varieties.

So probably you could, but given that you can produce far more mushrooms far
more quickly and consistently in a dark, warm, moist place using
commercially supplied compost and spawn most people would use this method.

Interesting piece on CountryFile yesterday on commercial mushroom growing.
Someone was growing Shitake mushrooms commercially.
He had two shipping containers, one set for permanent summer as in hot and
moist and the other set for permanent autumn as in cool and moist.
He put special sealed packs of sterilised oak compost and mushroom spawn in
'summer' until the mycelia had grown through the compost and then removed
the outer plastic and racked them up in 'autumn' where they started to
develope the fruiting bodies.
So if he was doing this outside he would have one crop a year because the
fruiting is seasonal.
Assuming of course that he could maintain optimum conditions and that his
Shitake mushrooms outperformed all other wild types.

HTH

Dave R

Old 17-05-2010, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
is it possible?

Apparently you can.

http://www.gourmetmushrooms.co.uk/product_home.htm

I've never tried it, so I'm not offering any recommendation

Old 17-05-2010, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 16 May 2010 15:33:31 +0100, "Gill Smith"
wrote:

is it possible?

Did you see the man with the shipping container mushroom farm? One for
each season (It was on tv last night - erm not sure what side could
have been bbc1 or 2)
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 18-05-2010, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gill Smith wrote:
is it possible?

Yes. Easy.

--
Rusty
Old 18-05-2010, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:

You can buy mushroom growing kits in GC's; it would probably work in a shed.

But you *MUST* stop-up any holes with very fine mesh (also obtainable in
GCs) as well as any cracks, fissures, chimneys, vents etc, or the
mushroom fly *WILL* get in, providing you with extra protein.

At our last place , there were grazing farms nearby where field
mushrooms grew so thick, we use to pick them by the carrier bag.
(All gone now thanks to changes in farm practise) I tried many times
to introduce them to our own land with no luck.

Fertilisers and selective herbicides seem to have put paid to them on
pasture.

--
Rusty
Old 18-05-2010, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wafflycat wrote:

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
is it possible?

Apparently you can.

http://www.gourmetmushrooms.co.uk/product_home.htm

I've never tried it, so I'm not offering any recommendation

Either you need a source of well-rotted horse manure, or somewhere ou
can gather fallen spruce (IIRC) needles. These have to be rendered less
acidic by adding ground chalk. (AKA Garden lime)

--
Rusty
Old 19-05-2010, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
wafflycat wrote:

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
is it possible?

Apparently you can.

http://www.gourmetmushrooms.co.uk/product_home.htm

I've never tried it, so I'm not offering any recommendation

Either you need a source of well-rotted horse manure, or somewhere ou can
gather fallen spruce (IIRC) needles. These have to be rendered less acidic
by adding ground chalk. (AKA Garden lime)

--
Rusty

The web site advertises 'plugs' you put into holes you drill in a log
(conifer or hardwood) and the shrooms are supposed to appear from that. How
successfully I know not, as I haven't tried it.