Old 24-05-2010, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Chelsea Chop advice please

I saw Toby Buckland mention the 'Chelsea Chop' on GW last Friday; I've
not heard of it before.

I think he said to cut back perennials to about half their height.

I have some foxgloves that look about the right height, but are these
perennials please? And, if they are, would they still be candidates for
the 'chop' if they already have flowers forming at the tops of the stems?

I'm a bit reluctant to chop off the forming flowers if none are going to
replace them.

Thanks in advance,
Meehan Mydog
Cheshire, UK
Old 24-05-2010, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Meehan Mydog" ...
I saw Toby Buckland mention the 'Chelsea Chop' on GW last Friday; I've not
heard of it before.

I think he said to cut back perennials to about half their height.

I have some foxgloves that look about the right height, but are these
perennials please? And, if they are, would they still be candidates for
the 'chop' if they already have flowers forming at the tops of the stems?

I'm a bit reluctant to chop off the forming flowers if none are going to
replace them.

Foxgloves are Bi-annuals not Perennials so if you give them the Chelsea Chop
you will lose the flowers.
BTW, they will die after flowering but hopefully there will already be
plants growing now, in their first year, to flower next year etc etc.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-05-2010, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Meehan Mydog
writes
I saw Toby Buckland mention the 'Chelsea Chop' on GW last Friday; I've
not heard of it before.

I think he said to cut back perennials to about half their height.

I have some foxgloves that look about the right height, but are these
perennials please? And, if they are, would they still be candidates for
the 'chop' if they already have flowers forming at the tops of the stems?

Foxgloves are short-lived perennials usually grown as biennials. (Or
alternatively biennials perennating by means of offsets.) They produce
one large spike in their 2nd season, and tend to produce smaller spikes
in subsequent years. You might gets some small spikes if you chopped
them now, but you'd lose the main body of the flowers. In other words,
they are not a good candidate for the Chelsea chop.

I'm a bit reluctant to chop off the forming flowers if none are going
to replace them.

Thanks in advance,
Meehan Mydog
Cheshire, UK

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-05-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Meehan Mydog writes
[...]

I've never ever had any of mine live after flowering in the second year,
they just give up and die. I've also not seen any offshoots, just seedlings
as I make sure I throw the seed around when it's ready. Perhaps it's the
conditions they grow under that makes the difference as a so-called
perennial one, D. lutea, also gave up after flowering here (and didn't
self-seed either!).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-05-2010, 09:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post

Foxgloves are short-lived perennials usually grown as biennials. (Or
alternatively biennials perennating by means of offsets.) They produce
one large spike in their 2nd season, and tend to produce smaller spikes
in subsequent years.
--
As well as the large spike, they also produce smaller spikes in the leaf axils. You'd encourage these if you chopped the main spike, but they aren't a patch on the main spike, so I wouldn't recommend getting rid of the main spike . Cut off the main spike once it's finished flowering and this will encourage the side spikes - ie you can have your cake and eat it!

Old 24-05-2010, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all that advice; I was wise to seek advice before brandishing
my shears, I think!

I actually grew these foxgloves from seed last year, and they flowered
then. And yet they do appear to have come back again this year though.
(They are the original plants, I think, because the self-seeded
offspring of the originals are still very much smaller.)

Cheers,
Meehan