Old 05-06-2010, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Whisky Barrel Pond - Mozzie larvae.

I've recently made a small pond from half an old whisky barrel. One
small water lily, couple of good clumps of oxygenating weed and an iris.
Once the water cleared I tried introducing a couple of fish, but they
clearly weren't happy (permanently drunk and hungover, possibly?) and
have been successfully rehomed in a friend's pond.
However, although the fish weren't happy, the mozzie larvae obviously
are - there are thousands of them, and I can see that when they fledge
into grown-up mozzies I'm going to have a house full of the little
blighters.
Any suggestions how I can get rid of them safely - both dog and cat are
partial to a drink from the barrel?

Jill
Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
I've recently made a small pond from half an old whisky barrel. One small
water lily, couple of good clumps of oxygenating weed and an iris. Once
the water cleared I tried introducing a couple of fish, but they clearly
weren't happy (permanently drunk and hungover, possibly?) and have been
successfully rehomed in a friend's pond.
However, although the fish weren't happy, the mozzie larvae obviously
are - there are thousands of them, and I can see that when they fledge
into grown-up mozzies I'm going to have a house full of the little
blighters.
Any suggestions how I can get rid of them safely - both dog and cat are
partial to a drink from the barrel?

Jill

Borrow one or two of the fish back. They'll clear it in no time.

Steve

Old 05-06-2010, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jill Bell
wrote
However, although the fish weren't happy, the mozzie larvae obviously
are - there are thousands of them, and I can see that when they fledge
into grown-up mozzies I'm going to have a house full of the little
blighters.
Any suggestions how I can get rid of them safely - both dog and cat are
partial to a drink from the barrel?

Jill

Something to break the surface tension of the water so the larvae cannot
breath. Perhaps a _couple_ of drops of washing up liquid or a _minute_
amount of WD40.
--
Alan
Old 05-06-2010, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
wrote
In message , Jill Bell
wrote

http://www.ralphmag.org/panama.html

--
Alan
Old 05-06-2010, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2010 10:37, Alan wrote:
In message , Jill Bell
wrote
However, although the fish weren't happy, the mozzie larvae obviously
are - there are thousands of them, and I can see that when they fledge
into grown-up mozzies I'm going to have a house full of the little
blighters.
Any suggestions how I can get rid of them safely - both dog and cat
are partial to a drink from the barrel?

Jill

Something to break the surface tension of the water so the larvae cannot
breath. Perhaps a _couple_ of drops of washing up liquid or a _minute_
amount of WD40.

Thanks Alan - I've gone for the washing up liquid as the lesser of the
two evils - the dog's been blowing bubbles; will update you on the
mozzie larvae in a day or two.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Bell[_2_] View Post
I've recently made a small pond from half an old whisky barrel. One
small water lily, couple of good clumps of oxygenating weed and an iris.
Once the water cleared I tried introducing a couple of fish, but they
clearly weren't happy (permanently drunk and hungover, possibly?) and
have been successfully rehomed in a friend's pond.
However, although the fish weren't happy, the mozzie larvae obviously
are - there are thousands of them, and I can see that when they fledge
into grown-up mozzies I'm going to have a house full of the little
blighters.
Any suggestions how I can get rid of them safely - both dog and cat are
partial to a drink from the barrel?
Will they cause a problem for the dog or cat?

Frogs and newts would see to the mozzie larvae, but if the water conditions aren't yet right for the fish they might not be OK for frogs and newts. If on the other hand it's just the particular fish that you tried which aren't happy, you could always try something like sticklebacks.

Would vegetable oil have the same effect as WD40?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire.

We tried this a couple of years ago with half oak ex whisky barrels. Apart from the car reeking of whisky for a week after bringing them home, we never got any fish to survive for very long. Eventually we bought black plastic tubs that fit the barrel perfectly. Not a long lived project, always cleaning the bloody things out, the dogs always drinking the water and eating my dwarf bullrushes. They look great now though...........one has Runner Beans in it and the other Pelargoniums.

Martin
__________________
Good growing,

Martin Froggatt
Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

'Jill Bell[_2_ Wrote:
;889884']I've recently made a small pond from half an old whisky barrel.
[...]

I would agree with finding yourself some sticklebacks - they will polish
mozzie larva off, quick time. When they've done that, you can put them back
where you got them from.
When I was a child I had a pet female stickleback for a while and I fed her
on mozzie larva all the time - until I put her back into her pond
eventually.
Tina

Old 05-06-2010, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:
"kay" wrote in message

'Jill Bell[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

I have no knowledge of the subject, but it occurs to me that a tub would
tend to get too warm for fish in warm weather, and perhaps too cold in
the very worst winters. I may add that we had a water-butt split by
freezing in one particularly bad British winter.

--
Mike.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2010 21:24, M Froggatt wrote:
We tried this a couple of years ago with half oak ex whisky barrels.
Apart from the car reeking of whisky for a week after bringing them
home, we never got any fish to survive for very long. Eventually we
bought black plastic tubs that fit the barrel perfectly. Not a long
lived project, always cleaning the bloody things out, the dogs always
drinking the water and eating my dwarf bullrushes. They look great now
though...........one has Runner Beans in it and the other Pelargoniums.

Martin

I had one at the previous house and suceeded in keep fish in it for
several years, though keeping the water weed under control was an
ongoing project. I'll give it more time to establish and try again next
season.

Meanwhile - have tried the washing up liquid cure over the weekend and
the mozzie larva just laughed and did somersaults, maybe I should have
used more Fairy!! Will hunt through the shed and see if i've got any
WD40 lurking there.

Jill

Old 07-06-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/06/10 12:40, Jill Bell wrote:
[...]

A thin film of olive oil kills mozzzie larva.
Old 14-06-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"kay" wrote in message

'Jill Bell[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

please note that I said "I put her back in the pond" after she'd eaten all
the mozzie larvae - and very good at eating them she was, too ;-)

1/2 Whisky Barrel Pond misswaterlily Ponds 6 29-07-2011 09:43 AM
whisky barrels for plants martin Gardening 2 26-05-2006 11:22 AM
Mozzie Magnet ellipsis Australia 0 22-10-2005 09:20 AM
Vine Weevil Larvae in outside soil. [email protected] United Kingdom 13 03-04-2003 06:44 PM
It was a *big* mozzie!! gort United Kingdom 0 29-09-2002 09:27 AM