Old 13-06-2010, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Connecting Waterbutt Tap - How ?

I want to replace a waterbutt tap on a Sankey standard butt which is about
3ft tall. How can I reach inside the butt to connect the nut ?

In past years I have laid on the grass with the WB horizontal and got in it
that way. Although clean it still stank, and as I am also claustrophobic I
don't want to do this again. Once I surprised myself by stretching my arm
from above down into the WB to apply the nut, but it was very difficult to
do.

Is their some magic gadget to attach to the plastic nut so it can be
connected up with less effort ?

This must be a problem for many people.

DS

Old 13-06-2010, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DS" wrote in message
I want to replace a waterbutt tap on a Sankey standard butt which is about
3ft tall. How can I reach inside the butt to connect the nut ?

In past years I have laid on the grass with the WB horizontal and got in
it that way. Although clean it still stank, and as I am also
claustrophobic I don't want to do this again. Once I surprised myself by
stretching my arm from above down into the WB to apply the nut, but it was
very difficult to do.

Is their some magic gadget to attach to the plastic nut so it can be
connected up with less effort ?

This must be a problem for many people.

You dangle a grandchild in the water butt by his ankles.

Steve

Old 13-06-2010, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

shazzbat wrote:

"DS" wrote in message
m...
I want to replace a waterbutt tap on a Sankey standard butt which is about
3ft tall. How can I reach inside the butt to connect the nut ?

In past years I have laid on the grass with the WB horizontal and got in
it that way. Although clean it still stank, and as I am also
claustrophobic I don't want to do this again. Once I surprised myself by
stretching my arm from above down into the WB to apply the nut, but it was
very difficult to do.

Is their some magic gadget to attach to the plastic nut so it can be
connected up with less effort ?

This must be a problem for many people.

Only those with claustrophobia and short arms. :-)

You dangle a grandchild in the water butt by his ankles.

LOL

It's best done when the butt is in the dry. Fettle a long-handled
spanner that is a snug fit on the nut and you can keep your head
outside. It has to be a really snug fit so that the nut won't fall out
so perhaps a slot cut into a piece of wood or mole grips taped to a a
stick. I once had to tighten up a nut to stop a tap leaking when it
was accidentaly knocked and loosened by the fencing contractors and
managed to do it with a shortish spanner and a wet arm.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

Old 13-06-2010, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:

"DS" wrote in message
news:f8udneRbfKxxhIjRnZ2dnUVZ8oydnZ2d@giganews. com...
[...]

Sorry I don't know what's happened to my original reply.

Anyway - good reply Phil.

Bill

Old 13-06-2010, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DS" wrote in message
I want to replace a waterbutt tap on a Sankey standard butt which is about
3ft tall. How can I reach inside the butt to connect the nut ?

In past years I have laid on the grass with the WB horizontal and got in
it that way. Although clean it still stank, and as I am also
claustrophobic I don't want to do this again. Once I surprised myself by
stretching my arm from above down into the WB to apply the nut, but it was
very difficult to do.

Is their some magic gadget to attach to the plastic nut so it can be
connected up with less effort ?

This must be a problem for many people.

DS

I fitted a new one a couple of weeks ago, (read I as we)
I got a neighbour to help, he reached inside with the nut and
I worked the outside bit.
I tried holding the nut with a tool but the problem was holding
it level and not getting it x threaded.

Wally

Old 13-06-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
shazzbat wrote:

"DS" wrote in message
om...
[...]

A good reply from someone who usually writes about where his feet have been
:-)
Bill

Old 13-06-2010, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Phil Cook wrote:

It's best done when the butt is in the dry. Fettle a long-handled
spanner that is a snug fit on the nut and you can keep your head
outside. It has to be a really snug fit so that the nut won't fall out
so perhaps a slot cut into a piece of wood or mole grips taped to a a
stick. I once had to tighten up a nut to stop a tap leaking when it
was accidentaly knocked and loosened by the fencing contractors and
managed to do it with a shortish spanner and a wet arm.

But definitely not a wet spanner and a short arm ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-06-2010, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

DS wrote:

I want to replace a waterbutt tap on a Sankey standard butt which is about
3ft tall. How can I reach inside the butt to connect the nut ?

In past years I have laid on the grass with the WB horizontal and got in it
that way. Although clean it still stank, and as I am also claustrophobic I
don't want to do this again. Once I surprised myself by stretching my arm
from above down into the WB to apply the nut, but it was very difficult to
do.

Is their some magic gadget to attach to the plastic nut so it can be
connected up with less effort ?

This must be a problem for many people.

DS

It's a lot easier if you can place the empty water butt at a higher
level than yourself, you'll find that you can now reach in quite easily
whilst you're standing at the lower level, and a friend inserts the tap
for you. I did this about two weeks ago, and it was a doddle. Mind
you, I'm 6'1 tall and long in the arms. If you're 5 foot nothing, then
you have a problem.

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far