Old 04-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Dave

Default waterbutt wildlife

Aside from the usual mosquito larva over the last three weeks or so my
water-butt has become full of little red worms thingys about half an
inch long. Now I like seeing wildlife as much as anyone but, well they
look so disgusting my first instinct was to wreak death and
destruction on the lot of them. However as they may well think the
same about me I'm just curious to know what these fellows are. Any
ideas??
thanks

D.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from Dave contains these words:

Aside from the usual mosquito larva over the last three weeks or so my
water-butt has become full of little red worms thingys about half an
inch long. Now I like seeing wildlife as much as anyone but, well they
look so disgusting my first instinct was to wreak death and
destruction on the lot of them. However as they may well think the
same about me I'm just curious to know what these fellows are. Any
ideas??

Bloodworms, much beloved of fishermen as groundbait - well, waterbait.
Quite harmless, they grow into frail mosquito-like insects (Chironomus
....) which do not play at vampires.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 05-06-2004, 12:05 PM
martin

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 09:54:18 +0100, "Douglas"
wrote:

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from Dave contains these words:

Aside from the usual mosquito larva over the last three weeks or so my
water-butt has become full of little red worms thingys about half an
inch long. Now I like seeing wildlife as much as anyone but, well they
look so disgusting my first instinct was to wreak death and
destruction on the lot of them. However as they may well think the
same about me I'm just curious to know what these fellows are. Any
ideas??

Bloodworms, much beloved of fishermen as groundbait - well, waterbait.
Quite harmless, they grow into frail mosquito-like insects (Chironomus
...) which do not play at vampires.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

*************
Interesting!. Thank you for that. I can remember my Dad emptying the butt
because they gave him the abdabs. If I say Please!, will you tell me what a
foobar is. I'd be obliged because I have an enquiring mind and if no
'answer', it stores it.
I spent my life in Comms, so if it is connected with Hi-fi, I've
missed out on it and the Dictionary is no help.
Please?!....?
Doug.
************

Foobar definition at http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/foldoc/5/44.htm

expanded at http://burks.brighton.ac.uk/burks/foldoc/4/44.htm
Old 05-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

Interesting!. Thank you for that. I can remember my Dad emptying the butt
because they gave him the abdabs. If I say Please!, will you tell me
what a
foobar is. I'd be obliged because I have an enquiring mind and if no
'answer', it stores it.
I spent my life in Comms, so if it is connected with Hi-fi, I've
missed out on it and the Dictionary is no help.
Please?!....?

Foobar in a Zetnet address triggers loopback - i.e. you (or better,
spammers) get a bounce. I believe this is a Usenet convention. How long
it will remain useful is a different matter, which is why Jaque
d'Alltrades (who only exists for Usenet purposes) found its way on the
front end.

Old 05-06-2004, 03:08 PM
martin

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:31:55 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

Interesting!. Thank you for that. I can remember my Dad emptying the butt
because they gave him the abdabs. If I say Please!, will you tell me
what a
foobar is. I'd be obliged because I have an enquiring mind and if no
'answer', it stores it.
I spent my life in Comms, so if it is connected with Hi-fi, I've
missed out on it and the Dictionary is no help.
Please?!....?

Foobar in a Zetnet address triggers loopback - i.e. you (or better,
spammers) get a bounce. I believe this is a Usenet convention.

not really, one should never bounce stuff.

How long
it will remain useful is a different matter, which is why Jaque
d'Alltrades (who only exists for Usenet purposes) found its way on the
front end.

I think your message attribution is FUBAR, I never wrote any of the
above.

Old 05-06-2004, 05:19 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

I think your message attribution is FUBAR, I never wrote any of the
above.

I didn't receive the post containing the bit I replied to, so i had to
quote your quotation.

Old 05-06-2004, 06:10 PM
martin

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 16:47:36 +0100, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

I think your message attribution is FUBAR, I never wrote any of the
above.

I didn't receive the post containing the bit I replied to, so i had to
quote your quotation.

yes, but you had to snip my name off first :-)

Time to change to news from Berlin?
Old 05-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Franz Heymann

"Dave" wrote in message
news
Aside from the usual mosquito larva over the last three weeks or so
my
water-butt has become full of little red worms thingys about half an
inch long. Now I like seeing wildlife as much as anyone but, well

they
look so disgusting my first instinct was to wreak death and
destruction on the lot of them. However as they may well think the
same about me I'm just curious to know what these fellows are. Any
ideas??
thanks

They are bloodworms. Sell them to a a tropical fish enthusiast.

Franz

Old 06-06-2004, 01:12 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

I think your message attribution is FUBAR, I never wrote any of the
above.

I didn't receive the post containing the bit I replied to, so i had to
quote your quotation.

yes, but you had to snip my name off first :-)

Time to change to news from Berlin?

That would mean changing a lot more than just a server.

Old 06-06-2004, 08:05 AM
martin

wrote:
The message
from martin contains these words:

I think your message attribution is FUBAR, I never wrote any of the
above.

I didn't receive the post containing the bit I replied to, so i had to
quote your quotation.

yes, but you had to snip my name off first :-)

Time to change to news from Berlin?

That would mean changing a lot more than just a server.

Your whole way of life? :-)