Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Amber Ormerod

Default cleaning waterbutt

I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the tree and am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure what to
clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok for
plants (not seedlings)?

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
troubleinstore

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message
I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the tree and

am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure what

clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok for
plants (not seedlings)?

Personally I would wash it out with Jeyes Fluid, rinse it and then leave for
a couple of days for odour to disappear. Jeyes Fliud is good for detering
cats as well.
--
troubleinstore
http://www.tuppencechange.co.uk

---

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Kay

In article , Amber Ormerod
writes
I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the tree and am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure what to
clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok for
plants (not seedlings)?

Yes, perfectly OK! Garden soil has plenty of dead slugs and rotting bits
of tree

--
Kay

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes
I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the tree and

am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure what

clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok for
plants (not seedlings)?

Yes, perfectly OK! Garden soil has plenty of dead slugs and rotting bits
of tree

oh, was this a wasted job then?

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Robert

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message
: I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go down the
: pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the tree and
am
: going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure what
: clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I have
: already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok for
: plants (not seedlings)?
:
It's ok for outdoors but you'd need to be careful if you used it in the
greenhouse. Not sure I would trust jeyes fluid as plants don't like it, a
good rinse would be needed. I think you can use potassium permanganate to
keep it clear if required

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message
I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go

down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the

tree and am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure

what to
clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I

have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok

for
plants (not seedlings)?

Plants do not have noses.
{:-))

Just allow your butt to fill and use it as you normally do.

Franz

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Franz Heymann

"troubleinstore" wrote in message

"Amber Ormerod" wrote in message
I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go

down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the

tree and
am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't

sure what
clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I

have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water

ok for
plants (not seedlings)?

Personally I would wash it out with Jeyes Fluid, rinse it and then

leave for
a couple of days for odour to disappear. Jeyes Fliud is good for

detering
cats as well.

That would be a bad thing to do. Jeyes' Fluid is a plant poison.

Franz

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Kay

In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes
I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the tree and

am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure what

clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok for
plants (not seedlings)?

Yes, perfectly OK! Garden soil has plenty of dead slugs and rotting bits
of tree

oh, was this a wasted job then?

No, but it's more for your benefit than for the plants.

Well, indirectly for the plants' benefit, since they'll get watered more
regularly if the butt doesn't stink too much for you to go near it ;-)

Oh, and if you have got bits in your water butt, they get stuck in the
spout of your watering can, and that's a nuisance too.

--
Kay

Old 04-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Rod

On Sun, 4 Jul 2004 16:19:25 +0100, "Amber Ormerod"
wrote:

I have had either dead slugs (hurrah) or rotting bits of tree go down the
pipe into the waterbutt. I just emptied it and have cut back the tree and am
going to put a filter on the pipe and seal it better but wasn't sure what to
clean it with that wouldn't require hours and hours of rinsing. I have
already scrubbed it but it smells a bit still. Is smelling water ok for
plants (not seedlings)?

Just ordinary scrubbing is fine, we do ours when the tanks are nearly
empty after a dry spell. It will stay clearer if you cover it. I don't
use collected rainwater for seedlings in the greenhouse, too many
fungal spores etc in it. It's fine for everything else.
Rod

Weed my address to reply

Old 04-07-2004, 09:07 PM
Amber Ormerod

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Amber Ormerod
writes
[...]

makes a change from smelly dead worms from the wormery doing it.

Old 04-07-2004, 10:03 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Rod contains these words:

I don't
use collected rainwater for seedlings in the greenhouse, too many
fungal spores etc in it.

Oh. I specially use rainwater for new seedlings, to spare than the
chemical contents of our tapwater.
:~}

Janet.

Old 05-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Franz Heymann

"Janet Baraclough.." wrote in
message ...
The message
from Rod contains these words:

I don't
use collected rainwater for seedlings in the greenhouse, too many
fungal spores etc in it.

Oh. I specially use rainwater for new seedlings, to spare than the
chemical contents of our tapwater.
:~}

In spite of the fact that rainwater is often highly acid?

Franz

Old 05-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Just Molly

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message
Oh. I specially use rainwater for new seedlings, to spare than the
chemical contents of our tapwater.
:~}

In spite of the fact that rainwater is often highly acid?

Please provide data about this. Specifically how much by percentage, acid
is in rainwater.