Old 19-06-2010, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Dry Gardening

How do we conserve soil moisture?
Mulches are OK, but in this hot dry weather water well so that the
water goes down below the root level so the roots follow it down, then
hoe the soil to break the capilary action that would cause the water
to syphon out again.
If you keep the soil surface hoed you will not only get rid of weeds
butwill preserve most of the moisture.
When sowing seed take out the drill, soak it well then sow the seed,
rake over the soil, firm it well with the back of the rake then rake
a little more soil over it lightly.
With large seed such as pear and beans soak overnight before
planting.
When planting out try to do so in the evening then puddle the plants
in, just watering around the plant and not all the soil between the
plants, loosen the surface after watering.
If you water in the evening then the plants have all night to take in
water before the heat starts to dry things up.
Old 19-06-2010, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
[...]

What heat are you talking about? It's so cold here today I was thinking
about lighting my woodburner.
What dry weather? It rains most days recently here in Leics.

Old 19-06-2010, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...
"Dave Hill" wrote.
[...]

Rain? What's that?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 20-06-2010, 12:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Rain? What's that?

Yesterday, we went to a very elderly friend's funeral and I thought it
was going to be real funeral weather. The sky was overcast, black at
times, the air was still and it felt truly very thundery and humid.
Nothing. Same for much of today. Until the wind shifts, I'm told we
won't see rain here. Once it goes to the SW, it will/could be another
story. Our borehole has certainly paid for itself this year alone,
never mind the earlier years!

Been piddling it down all day over here in the east. And about time too.
My water butt (not sure of the capacity, but it's nigh on 1m x 1m x 2m) that
I use for the Other Greenhouse is empty down to the last inch of sludge.

Can't wait for the school summer fete in 2 weeks so I can finally get rid of
some of the plants out of the greenhouse and get on with planting out what
doesn't sell!

(btw, anyone want to come and buy some plants off me in 2 weeks? All for a
good cause! Or anyone in the area got plants to spare ... ? :-)
Old 20-06-2010, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
"Bob Hobden" said:
"Christina Websell" wrote ...
"Dave Hill" wrote.
[...]

Looking at the forecast, later this week the wind direction turns to the SW
which would normally mean warm rain, but they are saying the temp will rise
but the projected humidity will drop and no rain here even then.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-06-2010, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Can't wait for the school summer fete in 2 weeks so I can finally get rid of
some of the plants out of the greenhouse and get on with planting out what
doesn't sell!

We made £78 on the plant stall at the church fete yesterday - took me
all evening to thaw out, we were in shade and a wind tunnel!! Only
bought three plants, and they were ones I took pity on at the end when
we reduced them to get rid.

(btw, anyone want to come and buy some plants off me in 2 weeks? All for a
good cause! Or anyone in the area got plants to spare ... ? :-)

I think there was a tray of tomato plants left............. and a couple
of euphorbias, oh and some primroses seedlings;-)

Old 20-06-2010, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
How do we conserve soil moisture?
Mulches are OK, but in this hot dry weather water well so that the
water goes down below the root level so the roots follow it down, then
hoe the soil to break the capilary action that would cause the water
to syphon out again.
If you keep the soil surface hoed you will not only get rid of weeds
butwill preserve most of the moisture.

I would have thought that hoeing the soil would increase water loss by
increasing the surface area, particularly when it is windy. On clay soil,
the hard pan resulting from soil baking dry would be a pretty effective
barrier to water transport - it stops rain entering well enough, which just
runs off!

Mind you, have you ever tried hoeing concrete-hard clay? :-)

--

Jeff

Old 20-06-2010, 10:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 20 June, 09:44, "Jeff Layman" wrote:
"Dave Hill" wrote in message

How do we conserve soil moisture?
Mulches are OK, but in this hot dry weather water well so that the
water goes down below the root level so the roots follow it down, then
hoe the soil to break the capilary action that would cause the water
to syphon out again.
If you keep the soil surface hoed you will not only get rid of weeds
butwill preserve most of the moisture.

I would have thought that hoeing the soil would increase water loss by
increasing the surface area, particularly when it is windy. *On clay soil,
the hard pan resulting from soil baking dry would be a pretty effective
barrier to water transport - it stops rain entering well enough, which just
runs off!

Mind you, have you ever tried hoeing concrete-hard clay? :-)

--

Jeff

The air moving accross the soil surface draws the moisture to the
surpace by capillary action, by breaking the surface when you hoe you
break the capillary so the moisture is no longer drawn to the surface.
If you have a heap of sand, just dig in a few inches and you will find
it is still damp, the loose surface freserves the moisture in the
heap.
David Hill
Old 20-06-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jill Bell wrote:
We made ?78 on the plant stall at the church fete yesterday - took me
all evening to thaw out, we were in shade and a wind tunnel!! Only
bought three plants, and they were ones I took pity on at the end when
we reduced them to get rid.

We made 45 quid last year, and that was when I wasn't given enough time to
be prepared for it. This year I have a /lot/ of baby fuchsia and quite
happy busy lizzies and a few petunias, so at least there will be some things
that are flowering at the right time.

And last year i had a whole table of tomato plants, and about 5 of them
sold! This year I have a load of /very/ healthy looking (but really
desperate for a potting on!!) GD tomatoes, and a couple of more unusual
ones. What i need to make sure I do is get it all on display, but I have
ballet until 10.45 and the fete starts at 11! I may be selling whilst
wearing a leotard this year!

(btw, anyone want to come and buy some plants off me in 2 weeks? All for a
good cause! Or anyone in the area got plants to spare ... ? :-)

I think there was a tray of tomato plants left............. and a couple
of euphorbias, oh and some primroses seedlings;-)

Feel free to drop your primroses off. ;-)
Old 20-06-2010, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:10:45 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote ...
"Dave Hill" wrote.
[...]

Quite.I am having to stretch right in and am about to fall in the
rain barrel next time I go to fill the watering can up!
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Old 20-06-2010, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from mogga contains these words:

Rain? What's that?

Quite.I am having to stretch right in and am about to fall in the
rain barrel next time I go to fill the watering can up!
--

My I tentatively suggest you invest in a water tub replacement tap, less
than a £5 in most garden centres. Releatively easy to fit (once you've

Weather here in mid-Wales has been warm and sunny for the last week,
with a bit of a cool breeze in the mornings. Few more clouds around now.

Roger T

Gardening in rainy weather and how to dry out the mud Zootal[_3_] Gardening 7 05-02-2008 11:08 PM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
dry laid patio - questions Mike Gardening 3 04-06-2003 02:56 AM
Cut Flagstone Patio. Mortored or dry install? kellysheroes Gardening 14 08-03-2003 05:32 PM
Pond sides....dry cement/dirt mix? Kevin Carbis Ponds 1 20-02-2003 12:03 AM