Old 29-07-2010, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Moles

What to do about moles. They wreck my veg plot.

I think I have the final solution. I am digging into the ground a
barrier of old corrugated iron sheet. I'm going down about 18". I do
one sheet a day, working my way round the plot.

Now, just got to get rid of the little *******s I have fenced in
though. Grrrr.
Old 29-07-2010, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 29, 8:15*am, harry wrote:
What to do about moles. They wreck my veg plot.

Go down to Cats Protection and adopt a moggy! Mine not only keeps my
garden (and the neighbours) clear but also the field beyond. Of course
I could rent him out to you at very reasonable rates!
Old 29-07-2010, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/07/2010 08:49, moghouse wrote:
On Jul 29, 8:15 am, wrote:
What to do about moles. They wreck my veg plot.

Go down to Cats Protection and adopt a moggy! Mine not only keeps my
garden (and the neighbours) clear but also the field beyond. Of course
I could rent him out to you at very reasonable rates!

Mine brings them home - live!!

On one fateful morning some years back, I came downstairs to find the
new puppy had had a poorly tummy and had liberally plastered the
floor/walls and appliances in the utility room with (well getting down
to basics) pooh!!!
Trying to sort this out - a very long job, and not one really suited to
night attire as a means of protective clothing, while trying to keep a
small bouncy lab who was feeling much better from helping, I was further
hindered by the cat appearing through the utility room window and
dropping a live and decidedly angry mole into the procedings.

Of course it escaped and was finally tracked down trying to dig a hole
in the carpet in the sitting room (the carpet still bears the scars).
Donning the gauntlets used for putting logs on the stove I captured it,
put on wellies and my waterproof over my nightie, and risked the hundred
yard dash to the fields to release it from whence it came, thinking that
at 5:30 in the morning the chances of meeting anybody were low.

How wrong I was - the newspaper lady looked stunned! "Don't ask" was all
I said as I dashed past to get home and sort out the rest of the
devastation. I saw her a few days later and she asked "Are you okay
dear, you seemed a bit stressed the other morning?"
Old 29-07-2010, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 July, 08:49, moghouse wrote:
On Jul 29, 8:15*am, harry wrote:

What to do about moles. They wreck my veg plot.

Go down to Cats Protection and adopt a moggy! Mine not only keeps my
garden (and the neighbours) clear but also the field beyond. Of course
I could rent him out to you at very reasonable rates!

Hah. Not on I'm afraid. There is a busy road next to us. Cats don't
last two minutes
Old 29-07-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 29, 3:22*pm, harry wrote:

Go down to Cats Protection and adopt a moggy! Mine not only keeps my
garden (and the neighbours) clear but also the field beyond. Of course
I could rent him out to you at very reasonable rates!

Hah. Not on I'm afraid. *There is a busy road next to us. Cats don't
last two minutes

Well you've got to pick a canny one! Try a battered old tom with bus-
ticket ears.

Old 29-07-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 29, 8:15 am, wrote:
[...]

Moles, they do so stress people. I don't have any - maybe because I have a
cat? He hasn't brought one in - like he does with the small ratties, maybe
he takes care of them without telling me ;-)

I still have a record somewhere Jasper Carrot about his mole problem. I
guess it's funny if you don't have them.
Tina

Old 29-07-2010, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5...eature=related
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old 29-07-2010, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 00:15:10 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

What to do about moles. They wreck my veg plot.

I think I have the final solution. I am digging into the ground a
barrier of old corrugated iron sheet. I'm going down about 18". I do
one sheet a day, working my way round the plot.

Now, just got to get rid of the little *******s I have fenced in
though. Grrrr.

I had my first experience of the mole fraternity when I bought my
present house - then a new build on old farmland (at least what became
my back garden was a chicken run in its previous incarnation - lovely
soil!). Anyhow, the garden came with what I assumed were the resident
moles (plural). After a few weeks of trying mole smokes (b****y
useless apart from the fun of watching plumes of smoke erupting all
over the grass (the entire back garden was grass - couldn't call it a
lawn)), a wise old sage educated me to the fact that I probably only
had one mole - they're territorial blighters. On his advice I bought
one of those spring caliper trap things and located it, suitably
primed, in one of the runs. Next day I'd caught a mole. Dead as a
dodo.

Since catching that mole (singular) I've never had a mole problem. The
only moles I see now are the ones the cat brings back, dead, from the
farm next door. He only brings them back because he gets a cat treat
in exchange for the carcass. Intelligent cat!

Meanwhile, the mole hills became the plan for the garden. But that's
another story.

Still, if you manage to catch one, bury the bugger alive. That'll
teach him! ;-))

Jake

http://www.rivendell.org.uk coming soon

Old 29-07-2010, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[SINPPING APPLIED]
I had my first experience of the mole fraternity when I bought my
present house - then a new build on old farmland (at least what became
my back garden was a chicken run in its previous incarnation - lovely
soil!). Anyhow, the garden came with what I assumed were the resident
moles (plural). After a few weeks of trying mole smokes (b****y
useless apart from the fun of watching plumes of smoke erupting all
over the grass (the entire back garden was grass - couldn't call it a
lawn)), a wise old sage educated me to the fact that I probably only
had one mole - they're territorial blighters. On his advice I bought
one of those spring caliper trap things and located it, suitably
primed, in one of the runs. Next day I'd caught a mole. Dead as a
dodo.

{MORE SNIPPING APPLIED]

Whoops. My apologies to Mike L. I have inadvertently introduced
another grammatical abberation. For "only had one" please substitute
"had only one".Sackcloth and ashes reassumed.

;-((

Old 29-07-2010, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Cook" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

Moles, they do so stress people. I don't have any - maybe because I have
cat? He hasn't brought one in - like he does with the small ratties, maybe
he takes care of them without telling me ;-)

I still have a record somewhere Jasper Carrot about his mole problem. I
guess it's funny if you don't have them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fePU5...eature=related
--

It's years since I heard that but it still makes me laugh.
Thanks for posting the link, Phil.

Old 30-07-2010, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29 July, 17:55, Janet wrote:
In article 0db8359b-7215-4aa1-b95f-834f68b07274
@t2g2000yqe.googlegroups.com, says...

What to do about moles. They wreck my veg plot.

I think I have the final solution. *I am digging into the ground a
barrier of old corrugated iron sheet. *I'm going down about 18". I do
one sheet a day, working my way round the plot.

Now, just got to get rid of the little *******s I have fenced in
though. Grrrr.

* So how high is the barrier above ground level? They might stand on
tiptoe *and reach the top with their powerful hands...

* *Janet

About a foot (300mm)

Chipmunks or moles? Duane Morin Gardening 6 03-10-2003 05:12 PM
Moles ROY MCMASTER Australia 4 17-04-2003 01:08 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM
How do you get rid of moles without traps Susan E Desjardins Edible Gardening 18 18-03-2003 06:44 PM