Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mildew on curcurbits

My outdoor cucumber and courgette seem to have been almost totally wiped out
by mildew.
The butternut squash is soldiering on but is also suffering.

Is there anything I can do to save the plants?
With virtually no leaves left there is not much to power the plant into
producing more fruit or filling out what is already there.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 01-09-2010, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
My outdoor cucumber and courgette seem to have been almost totally wiped
out by mildew.
The butternut squash is soldiering on but is also suffering.

Is there anything I can do to save the plants?
With virtually no leaves left there is not much to power the plant into
producing more fruit or filling out what is already there.

Cheers

Changing the subject completely David, was your field the one hit by the
little sods this week?

--
Kathy

Old 01-09-2010, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Sep, 20:17, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
My outdoor cucumber and courgette seem to have been almost totally wiped out
by mildew.
The butternut squash is soldiering on but is also suffering.

Is there anything I can do to save the plants?
With virtually no leaves left there is not much to power the plant into
producing more fruit or filling out what is already there.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

If it's that bad, no I would say. You need different varieties next
year.
The effective fungicides have been withdrawn. I expect they were
poisoning us all.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
My outdoor cucumber and courgette seem to have been almost totally wiped
out by mildew.
The butternut squash is soldiering on but is also suffering.

Is there anything I can do to save the plants?
With virtually no leaves left there is not much to power the plant into
producing more fruit or filling out what is already there.

Cheers

Changing the subject completely David, was your field the one hit by the
little sods this week?

Not aware of anything - do you have a URL?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-01, David WE Roberts wrote:
My outdoor cucumber and courgette seem to have been almost totally wiped out
by mildew.
The butternut squash is soldiering on but is also suffering.

Is there anything I can do to save the plants?
With virtually no leaves left there is not much to power the plant into
producing more fruit or filling out what is already there.

Probably not. But watering the foliage with dilute milk seems to keep the
mildew at bay. I've not needed it this year, but in previous years it does
seem to have worked. 10% solution seems to be generally advised - google
brings up quite a bit on it.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
My outdoor cucumber and courgette seem to have been almost totally wiped
out by mildew.
The butternut squash is soldiering on but is also suffering.

Is there anything I can do to save the plants?
With virtually no leaves left there is not much to power the plant into
producing more fruit or filling out what is already there.

Cheers

Changing the subject completely David, was your field the one hit by the
little sods this week?

Not aware of anything - do you have a URL?

'Fraid not. I refer you to Wednesday's Evening Star and a story about the
Cemetery Field allotments in Langley Ave.

--
Kathy

Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

X-posted to uk.d-i-y purely because some of the allotment gardeners seem to
be using angle grinders. ;-)

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Kathy McIntosh" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
My outdoor cucumber and courgette seem to have been almost totally
wiped out by mildew.
The butternut squash is soldiering on but is also suffering.

Is there anything I can do to save the plants?
With virtually no leaves left there is not much to power the plant into
producing more fruit or filling out what is already there.

Cheers

Changing the subject completely David, was your field the one hit by the
little sods this week?

Not aware of anything - do you have a URL?

'Fraid not. I refer you to Wednesday's Evening Star and a story about the
Cemetery Field allotments in Langley Ave.

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/news/he...mpage_1_617594

Fortunately not where my allotment is.
I am at cow pastures.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

X-posted to uk.d-i-y purely because some of the allotment gardeners seem
to be using angle grinders. ;-)

Yeah, I wondered about that as well. Then I thought about some of the weeds
on our plot and it all began to make sense :-}

Old 03-09-2010, 11:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/news/he...mpage_1_617594

Fortunately not where my allotment is.
I am at cow pastures.

That is sheds yet again being broken into.
Better off without one. A towing bracket on the car and a little trailer is
all that's needed and you can also use that to collect manure and take
rubbish down the tip. It would probably work out about the same price as a
small shed too.
You could also invest in an old Landrover Defender like me but that is a
much more expensive (and fraught) alternative.
One of our allotment holders has 5 allotment and no shed, he uses a trailer
and keeps all his tools and everything at home.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-09-2010, 10:05 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"David WE Roberts" wrote ...

http://www.eveningstar.co.uk/news/he...mpage_1_617594

Fortunately not where my allotment is.
I am at cow pastures.

That is sheds yet again being broken into.
Better off without one. A towing bracket on the car and a little trailer
is all that's needed and you can also use that to collect manure and take
rubbish down the tip. It would probably work out about the same price as a
small shed too.
You could also invest in an old Landrover Defender like me but that is a
much more expensive (and fraught) alternative.
One of our allotment holders has 5 allotment and no shed, he uses a
trailer and keeps all his tools and everything at home.

However it is nice to be able to walk or cycle to the allotment.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:13 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post

That is sheds yet again being broken into.
Better off without one. A towing bracket on the car and a little trailer is
all that's needed
If you have a car that is ...

When I had an allotment there were occasions when we had to get there by bus, and the regulations about taking garden forks by bus were quite amazing...

when mildew isn't mildew T[_4_] Edible Gardening 1 16-08-2016 06:09 AM
mildew on roses Theresa Chao Roses 4 08-04-2003 03:56 PM
Downy mildew query CandL Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
DOWNEY MILDEW rosy Roses 4 13-02-2003 05:25 PM