Old 16-10-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat Scarers

"Baz" wrote in message

In my area bonfires ARE prohibted.

Baz

Unusual - what area would that be then ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 17-10-2010, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/10/2010 11:39, Judith in France wrote:
I don't see how a cat owner can be
held responsible for their cat roaming.

I think the clue is in the word "owner".

If one chooses to keep an animal, one should take full responsibility
for that animal.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"I'm riding a unicycle with my pants down. This should be every boy's
Old 17-10-2010, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Gordon H
wrote

"Cat" and "control" in the same sentence?

It's perfectly easy to control a cat it's just that many anti-social
arseholes who own them don't bother.

Even in this thread it suggested that if we don't want them on our
property we can to put up fencing, netting, electric wires, cages etc.

What's wrong with owners being responsible for the animals they wish to
keep and doing the same to confine the cats to their own property?

I'll also bet that these same people who are not prepared to spend any
money controlling their pets will be the first to blame others if they get
poisoned or injured on other people's property.

--
Alan

This is a quote from a web-site which may be of interest to posters in this
thread:-

quote

6. Trespass
In the quintessential "cat and the canary" case of McDonald v. Jodrey 8 Pa.
C.C. 142 (Pa. Com. Pl. 1890) the court stated that the owner of a cat is not
responsible for the "predatory" habits of the species, only for the known
"mischievous tendencies" of the animal. See also the landmark case of Buckle
v. Holmes [1926] 2 K.B. 125 from the English Court of Appeals (Civil
Division) which held that an owner of a cat is not liable for the damage
caused when the cat trespasses. At the time of the decision this case
aroused quite a bit of interest in the law of cats on both sides of the
Atlantic (see case notes in 25 Mich. L. Rev. 207, 3 Cam. L. J. 76, and 13
Cornell L. Q. 150 for commentary on this case).

unquote/

Bill

Old 17-10-2010, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Gordon H wrote:
Have you ever owned a cat? ;-)

I thought cats generally owned people.

They certainly "train" people :-)

Bill

Old 17-10-2010, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote
On 2010-10-15 12:58:39 +0100, Alan said:

In message , prb
wrote
Anti freeze des not deter cats, it kills them. A very painful
and nasty
death too. However much you hate cats, surely you don't really
want them dead?
That's the responsibility of the owner. A cat that is adequately
fed
by it's owner and kept under control wouldn't come into contact
with anti-freeze.

That is nonsensical, I'm afraid. Cats are hunters. Being fed by
the owner is neither here nor there and 'kept under control' can
only mean house arrest.

So is it responsible to keep such an animal in an urban environment?

Your irresponsible is someone else's pet. and keeping 6 cats or more
isn not yet illegal. Cats are not considered 'controllable' in law.
Causing unnecessary suffering to an animal is illegal and suggesting
the use of poison because anyone doesn't like others' pets is
disgusting. It's to be hoped next door's noisy, whining, screaming
child doesn't wander in and pick it up....in an urban environment.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Then it is time the law is changed, so that cats are considered
uncontrollable and the owners are accountable so that no child would be
accidentally poisened.
It is I agree disgusting to try to poison but not everyone shares that
point of view and will continue I think until the law has changed.
Why have an animal as a pet if it is uncontrollable?
Surely the word uncontrollable indicates that the animal should not be a
domestic pet and should be governed by law.

Baz

Whilst not taking part in this discussion in any form may I re-quote from a
web-site:-

Old 17-10-2010, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:38:03 +0100, Hugh Jampton
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:20:05 +0100, Jake wrote:

Tried loads. All useless. Fed up with cat stuff all over the place and
cats digging in seed beds and all that.

Our cat is very clever - she digs her stuff into the ground after she's
done it - a *very* clever cat !

But is she clever enough to avoid newly sown seed beds? ;-))

Have you ever plastered a wall only to find peculiar brown streaks in the
cement?

Cats love sand heaps as well as seed beds.

Bill

Old 17-10-2010, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Danny
Colyer writes
On 16/10/2010 11:39, Judith in France wrote:
I don't see how a cat owner can be
held responsible for their cat roaming.

I think the clue is in the word "owner".

If one chooses to keep an animal, one should take full responsibility
for that animal.

I refuse to compensate anyone whose kid shoves it's stick with its
horses-head handle in my Wallace's ear.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 18-10-2010, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

And no I dont have a gun.

Thanks in advance
Baz

ITV 3 - "Catwoman" , Joanna Lumley at 9.00pm Monday 18_10_10

May explain some things about cats.

Bill

Old 18-10-2010, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

And no I dont have a gun.

Thanks in advance
Baz

ITV 3 - "Catwoman" , Joanna Lumley at 9.00pm Monday 18_10_10

May explain some things about cats.

Bill

I'll watch, and I know she'll be moving her lips, but I probably won't
here a word. ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 18-10-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Baz" wrote in message
. ..
Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound
inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

And no I dont have a gun.

Thanks in advance
Baz

ITV 3 - "Catwoman" , Joanna Lumley at 9.00pm Monday 18_10_10

May explain some things about cats.

Bill

I'll watch, and I know she'll be moving her lips, but I probably won't
here a word. ;-)

Go for it Gordon, I'd love to hear how you train a cat...:-)

Bill 73s
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 18-10-2010, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Baz" wrote in message
Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound
inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

And no I dont have a gun.

Thanks in advance
Baz

ITV 3 - "Catwoman" , Joanna Lumley at 9.00pm Monday 18_10_10

May explain some things about cats.

Bill

I'll watch, and I know she'll be moving her lips, but I probably won't
here a word. ;-)

Go for it Gordon, I'd love to hear how you train a cat...:-)

Bill 73s

I watched Horizon instead.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 19-10-2010, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Gordon H" wrote in message
In message , Bill Grey
writes

"Baz" wrote in message
3...
Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound
inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

And no I dont have a gun.

Thanks in advance
Baz

ITV 3 - "Catwoman" , Joanna Lumley at 9.00pm Monday 18_10_10

May explain some things about cats.

Bill

I'll watch, and I know she'll be moving her lips, but I probably won't
here a word. ;-)

Go for it Gordon, I'd love to hear how you train a cat...:-)

Bill 73s

I watched Horizon instead.:-

I forgot to watch it (doh!):-)

Bill

--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 21-10-2010, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
I know lots of people who have judged at Crufts and who breed dogs and I
wouldn't give you tuppence for the ethics of many of them
--

Name these *lots of people* that you you personally know who have judged at
Crufts (without looking on the internet)

Old 22-10-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
I know lots of people who have judged at Crufts and who breed dogs and I
wouldn't give you tuppence for the ethics of many of them
--

Name these *lots of people* that you you personally know who have judged at
Crufts (without looking on the internet)
It's likely I might know them and might ask if they know "you" !
Lets just say you've never met a Crufts judge, and know what their ethics
are, shall we?
Tina

What utter rubbish. You have absolutely no knowledge on which to base
your childish statement.

Dog showing is riddled with petty politics and petty ambitions which
frequently come before the long term welfare of the dogs. I was in
showing for about 10years, had a well known (in the breed) champion dog,
showing at many Champ Shows and Crufts.

People in the breed who know me will already know my views. My friends
in the breed share them. I couldn't give a toss whether you know them or
not.

Silly bitch
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 22-10-2010, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
I know lots of people who have judged at Crufts and who breed dogs and I
wouldn't give you tuppence for the ethics of many of them

Name these *lots of people* that you you personally know who have judged at
Crufts (without looking on the internet)
It's likely I might know them and might ask if they know "you" !
Lets just say you've never met a Crufts judge, and know what their ethics
are, shall we?
Tina

There is a case in our local paper this week of a woman who has been
brought to court (by the "useless" RSPCA) for gross neglect of about 60
dogs and cats at a "sanctuary" she ran with her partner.

The animals had matted fur, had no food or water, and I'll spare you the
filth they were living in.

She had a second in breed at Crufts in 2007 with her Springer bitch.
Love of Crufts and participation doesn't make anyone a carer about
animals.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Making bird-scarers from old CDs... AL_n United Kingdom 5 03-04-2012 11:09 AM
cat scarers stevej United Kingdom 27 26-06-2010 11:42 AM
bird scarers bob[_5_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2010 07:28 PM
Sonic Rabbit scarers [email protected] United Kingdom 0 20-06-2006 09:58 AM
heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM