Old 22-10-2010, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat Scarers

In message , Sacha
wrote
Those last two words have totally discredited every word that goes
before them. I don't believe you.

First you defend those on those group who believe that it is socially
acceptable to let their pets foul in other peoples gardens and now you
appear to be defending those on this group who believe that it
acceptable to in-breed dogs solely for profit.

--
Alan
Old 22-10-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
writes

There is a case in our local paper this week of a woman who has been
brought to court (by the "useless" RSPCA) for gross neglect of about 60
dogs and cats at a "sanctuary" she ran with her partner.

The animals had matted fur, had no food or water, and I'll spare you
the filth they were living in.

She had a second in breed at Crufts in 2007 with her Springer bitch.
Love of Crufts and participation doesn't make anyone a carer about
animals.

Correction, there were 90 animals in her "care", the images were shown
on local TV News tonight.

I don't envy the RSPCA people their unpleasant task of dealing with
them.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 22-10-2010, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
wrote

I don't envy the RSPCA people their unpleasant task of dealing with
them.

And the problem was caused in the first place by 90 irresponsible pet
owners - the same type of people who find it funny that their cats foul
on other peoples property and then post defending the fact that they are
incapable of taking proper care and control of their own animals.

--
Alan
Old 22-10-2010, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
Judith in France wrote

Rudeness does not have a place on urg, you can disagree with Tina;
however personally insulting her is not on, you owe her an apology.

Pot, kettle , black

--
Alan
Old 23-10-2010, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-10-22 12:41:09 +0100, hugh ] said:

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message
I know lots of people who have judged at Crufts and who breed dogs and
wouldn't give you tuppence for the ethics of many of them
--

Name these *lots of people* that you you personally know who have judged
at

What utter rubbish. You have absolutely no knowledge on which to base
your childish statement.

Dog showing is riddled with petty politics and petty ambitions which
frequently come before the long term welfare of the dogs. I was in
showing for about 10years, had a well known (in the breed) champion dog,
showing at many Champ Shows and Crufts.

People in the breed who know me will already know my views. My friends in
the breed share them. I couldn't give a toss whether you know them or
not.

Silly bitch

Those last two words have totally discredited every word that goes before
them. I don't believe you.

Neither do I.
Tina

Old 23-10-2010, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed

Pedigree Dogs Exposed was a BBC One investigative documentary, produced
by Jemima Harrison, which looked into health and welfare issues facing
pedigree dogs in the United Kingdom.

The Kennel Club (KC), the governing body of pedigree dogs in the UK that
runs the prestigious dog conformation show Crufts, was criticized for
allowing breed standards, judging standards and breeding practices to
compromise the health of pedigree dogs.[1]

The programme generated much criticism of the Kennel Club. It also
caused various sponsors and trade exhibitors to withdraw their
participation from Crufts and other Kennel Club events. The BBC?which
has broadcast Crufts for 42 years?withdrew its coverage of Crufts for
2009, and chose not to renew it for 2010. ....

Three separate health reports were commissioned as a result of the
programme. Reports by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Animals, Associate Parliamentary Group for Animal Welfare and Sir
Patrick Bateson(funded by the KC and Dogs Trust) concluded that current
breeding practices are detrimental to the welfare of pedigree dogs and
made various recommendations that can be taken by the Kennel Club and
breeders to improve pedigree dog health."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7616591.stm
RSPCA withdraws from Crufts show
The RSPCA says it is to withdraw from Crufts dog show amid concerns
about the health of pedigree animals.

It is to scrap its regular welfare stand at the contest next March.
The charity says "morally unjustifiable" breeding practices lead to
disability, deformity and disease among show dogs.RSPCA chief veterinary
adviser Mark Evans has called for a shift in emphasis away from the
looks of dogs and towards their health, welfare and temperament.
He said judging criteria used by shows such as Crufts encouraged
inbreeding and the rearing of deformed dogs, as demonstrated by BBC
documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed.
"There is compelling scientific evidence that the health and welfare of
hundreds of thousands of pedigree dogs is seriously compromised as a
result," said Mr Evans. "

Janet

Thanks for this very informative post.

I've often wondered if there is a difference in the incidences of say - hip
dysplasia - in working Labradors and show Labradors.My two labs were quite
different. My working lab was tall and very athletic compared with my show
Labrador who is less agile and considerably "squatter". Lab breeders like to
see a dog with a "square" outline.

Bill

Old 23-10-2010, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message , Gordon H
wrote

I don't envy the RSPCA people their unpleasant task of dealing with
them.

And the problem was caused in the first place by 90 irresponsible pet
owners - the same type of people who find it funny that their cats foul
on other peoples property and then post defending the fact that they
are incapable of taking proper care and control of their own animals.

They interviewed one lady who had left two dogs with the "Sanctuary"
because she became unable through disability to look after them.
She obviously trusted someone who had received awards at Crufts.
One of her dogs had disappeared when inventory was taken of the animals.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 25-10-2010, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15 Oct, 12:51, Baz wrote:
Sacha wrote :

At our local seed merchant we bought a netting type electric fence to
put round the chicken coop. *Perhaps you could try one of those? *If
you know the owner of the cat fouling your ground, collect up the poo
and return it to them. *Get a powerful water pistol.

Hello Sacha
I have a SuperSoaker (very pwerful water gun) but have only had the chance
to use it a few times because most of the fouling goes on either when we
are not at home during the day because we all have full time jobs, or at
night and beleive me we have tried but hardly a sighting.

There seems to be a pattern for keeping cats in/out

http://www.beestonfencingcompany.co....ooffencing.htm

YMMV depending on size of garden, budget etc.
Old 30-10-2010, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

---
It does not matter whether he apologises to me or not, tbh. I only value
opinions from those people who know what they are talking about.
Tina

Old 31-10-2010, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

If you read her post you will see that she actually called me a liar. I
think therefore I am entitled to reply in kind.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

Old 12-11-2010, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message
[...]

I don't think I called you a liar, it's not a word I use, Hugh.
Tina

Old 13-11-2010, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hugh" ] wrote in message

I know lots of people who have judged at Crufts

Lets just say you've never met a Crufts judge,
Tina

She did not call him a liar.

??????
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 13-11-2010, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

In article , says...
On 2010-11-12 23:44:15 +0000, Janet said:

In article ,
says...
"hugh" ] wrote

I know lots of people who have judged at Crufts and who breed
dogs

Tina replied

Lets just say you've never met a Crufts judge

I don't think I called you a liar, it's not a word I use, Hugh.
Tina
You specifically refuted his statement as untruthful .See above,

your own post /\/\/\/
Janet
She did not call him a liar. We can disagree. We can rebut
statements. We can, indeed, regard others as trouble makers but Tina
did not describe anyone as a liar. She did call into question their
expertise - and with good reason.

Hugh said he knows Crufts judges; Tina denied that he does.
In effect she claimed his statement was untrue.
Since Tina does not know Hugh her comment had no foundation.
Janet.

She did not call anybody a liar, Janet. Now, we all know you like a
row in whichever group you're in but this is a non-starter. Tina has
questioned someone's self-appointed credentials. She has called nobody
a liar.

She should be more discreet.
I contradicted someone in another group and received a solicitors
letter!

Mind you, the letter was careful not to accuse me of calling him a
liar...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Making bird-scarers from old CDs... AL_n United Kingdom 5 03-04-2012 11:09 AM
cat scarers stevej United Kingdom 27 26-06-2010 11:42 AM
bird scarers bob[_5_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2010 07:28 PM
Sonic Rabbit scarers [email protected] United Kingdom 0 20-06-2006 09:58 AM
heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM