Old 15-10-2010, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat Scarers

In message , Frank
Booth Snr wrote

Simple solution. Train your cat to use the toilet..

Er, it's the animals belonging to other people that is the problem. If
responsible cat owned trained their cats there wouldn't be a problem but
the majority of cat owned are irresponsible and expect other to clean up
the s**t from their pets.

--
Alan
Old 15-10-2010, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Baz
wrote
Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

No they don't work. I had one with a PIR sensor and various sound
settings. Humans, depending on their age, can hear them starting up at
the beginning of the ultrasonic sound burst. Initially the local cats were
scared but within a week they got used to it and reverted back to their
old patterns. Even moving the device around a lot had no effect.

Local foxes were not scared by it at all. I could see that they were aware
of the device going off but apart from maybe a jump of a few feet they
carried on regardless.

And no I dont have a gun.

I believe that an effective deterrent is to put some food out laced with
some anti-freeze. Other than that a large store of stones to throw keeps
then on their toes.

Excuse my ignorance - but what effect does the anti-freeze have ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-10-2010, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote in :

In message , Frank
Booth Snr wrote

Simple solution. Train your cat to use the toilet..

Er, it's the animals belonging to other people that is the problem. If
responsible cat owned trained their cats there wouldn't be a problem but
the majority of cat owned are irresponsible and expect other to clean up
the s**t from their pets.

Yes thats the problem.
I dont own a cat, never have and never will do.
In my experience cats seem to toilet on newly disturbed soil.
I am the only vegetable gardener in our close and there is always some soil
disturbance carried out by me, digging crops, weeding etc. so I get all the
local moggies scratting and scatting in MY garden on freshly dug earth.

All the other residents have flower borders and lawns that get hardly any
soil disturbance other than a little weeding in the borders which is easy
to check over for poo, and after all how many people eat flowers?

I wonder how many burried heaps of poo I havnt detected have been feeding
my vegetables, SHUDDER.
The owners dont care, in fact I have seen them watching their pet doing the
dirty deed.
I am not on a downer with cats but I dont want their mess in my veggie
plot, and strangely no laws have been broken meaning I have to spend money
so that the owners can let their pets spread their disseases on my land.

If the cat scarers dont work then its back to looking and collecting up the
foul stuff in bulk every day hoping we are not eating it with our crops we
have lovingly grew.

Baz
Old 15-10-2010, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
prb prb is offline

In article ,
says...

I believe that an effective deterrent is to put some food out laced with
some anti-freeze. Other than that a large store of stones to throw keeps
then on their toes.

Excuse my ignorance - but what effect does the anti-freeze have ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Anti freeze des not deter cats, it kills them. A very painful and nasty
death too. However much you hate cats, surely you don't really want them
dead?
I found that a number of cheapo poundland moustraps scattered about did
an effective job of scaring the cats. Take off the bait spike and leave
them set in the places the cats go, the snap scares them and they go
somewhere else, unfortunately it's usually on your neighbours garden.

Old 15-10-2010, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message , Christina Websell
wrote

You know a Cruft's judge personally? I do, and she has the highest ethics
in the world otherwise she would not be my best friend.
Tina

Anyone with high ethics would have resigned from being a Craft's judge
years ago when it became public knowledge that the organisation
supported the long term in-breeding of animals.

There's a lot of money to be made from breeding deformed dogs and
showing them. I feel heartily sorry for the snuffling wretches.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 15-10-2010, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete
writes

"Alan" wrote

I believe that an effective deterrent is to put some food out laced
with some anti-freeze. Other than that a large store of stones to
throw keeps then on their toes.

Excuse my ignorance - but what effect does the anti-freeze have ?

It enables cats to stalk birds even in freezing cold weather.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 15-10-2010, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Pete" wrote in message

"Alan" wrote in message
[...]

From the "Cat Owners HomeVeterinary Handbook"

http://www.doctordog.com/catbook/catpoison.html

"Poisoning with antifreeze is one of the most common poisoning conditions
found in cats because ethylene glycol has a sweet taste that appeals to cats
and dogs. One teaspoon of antifreeze can kill an average-sized cat. Signs of
toxicity, which appear suddenly, are vomiting, uncoordinated gait (seems
"drunk"), weakness, stupor and coma. Death can occur in 12 to 36 hours.
Convulsions are unusual. Cats that recover from the acute poisoning may have
damage to their kidneys and go on to kidney failure.

Treatment: Induce vomiting on suspicion of ingestion and proceed at once to
the nearest veterinary facility. Intravenous alcohol is a specific antidote.
Intensive care in an animal hospital may prevent kidney complications."

Persons who deliberately poison cats or dogs with antifreeze risk
prosecution for animal cruelty, if caught. They might also risk being
lynched, judging by the public reaction to the recent "cat in wheelie bin"
story.

Old 15-10-2010, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message

Excuse my ignorance - but what effect does the anti-freeze have ?

It enables cats to stalk birds even in freezing cold weather. (:-(

You are half correct I fear - that cats stalk and destroy birds is my sole
gripe against them
and moreover their owners.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-10-2010, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes

I dont own a cat, never have and never will do.
In my experience cats seem to toilet on newly disturbed soil.
I am the only vegetable gardener in our close and there is always some soil
disturbance carried out by me, digging crops, weeding etc. so I get all the
local moggies scratting and scatting in MY garden on freshly dug earth.

I've had that problem whenever I prepare a seed bed, which is made worse
by a neighbour who put food out for the foxes, and continued to feed a
couple of stray cats who discovered the supply.

The most irritating offender is a cat which leaves its mess on my front
lawn. :-(
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 15-10-2010, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

At our local seed merchant we bought a netting type electric fence to
put round the chicken coop. Perhaps you could try one of those? If
you know the owner of the cat fouling your ground, collect up the poo
and return it to them. Get a powerful water pistol.

Hello Sacha
I have a SuperSoaker (very pwerful water gun) but have only had the chance
to use it a few times because most of the fouling goes on either when we
are not at home during the day because we all have full time jobs, or at
night and beleive me we have tried but hardly a sighting.

I tried returning the poo to the owner of one cat and he called me a
nutter, and did it a few times with no result. This advice was given to me
by the police after a different neighbour became violent towards me for
asking him to stop his cat fouling my garden.(our next door neighbour
phoned the police because he feared for my safety)

As far as I can tell there are 5 cats in the area fouling, maybe more but
how to find the owner is anyones guess, and to be honest I feel very unsure
of myself in dealing with cat owners now.

An electrical fence would cost thousands to cover the perimeter here, and
we dont have that kind of money at the moment. Just paying our way is the
objective right now. Thought we bought wisely with this house but we just
get even these days. Couple of years ago we were in negative equity so when
things get a little better we could maybe buy a smaller hovel :-)

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Baz

Old 15-10-2010, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , prb
wrote

Anti freeze des not deter cats, it kills them. A very painful and nasty
death too. However much you hate cats, surely you don't really want them
dead?

That's the responsibility of the owner. A cat that is adequately fed by
it's owner and kept under control wouldn't come into contact with
anti-freeze.

--
Alan
Old 15-10-2010, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote:

In message , Baz
wrote
Thinking about getting a cat scarer, the ones that emit a sound inaudible
to us, but which cats can hear.
Have any of you had one? Do they work?

http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/cat...llers-10-c.asp

No they don't work. I had one with a PIR sensor and various sound
settings. Humans, depending on their age, can hear them starting up at
the beginning of the ultrasonic sound burst. Initially the local cats
were scared but within a week they got used to it and reverted back to
their old patterns. Even moving the device around a lot had no effect.

I tried one rather similar to the £29.99 version, and the cats
and squirrels were completely unaffected. However my partner's
rather younger ears were sufficiently sensitive to find it
seriously irritating, so it didn't stay in use very long.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 15-10-2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , prb
wrote

Anti freeze des not deter cats, it kills them. A very painful and nasty
death too. However much you hate cats, surely you don't really want them
dead?

That's the responsibility of the owner. A cat that is adequately fed by
it's owner and kept under control wouldn't come into contact with
anti-freeze.

True - like all other domesticated creatures, they should be confined to
their owners property.
Why should cats exceptionally be allowed to roam without breaking the law ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-10-2010, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Could you could just protect your veg. patch with the fence? It IS
expensive, I can answer for that but it works, too, as our dogs will
testify! My own view is not a popular one but I think each household
should be allowed one cat only, unless they have a permit as a breeder.
I'm not anti-cat though we wouldn't have one here but this is a recurring
theme on here and it seems that there are just too many cats around, given
that they are animals that can't be controlled unless they're house-cats.
I'm afraid that I'm at a loss to understand cat owners who think their
animal's habit of bringing them little 'presents' in the way of dead mice,
voles and birds, is somehow attractive!

One cat only per household - exactly one cat too many per household !

Interested to know why you wouldn't have one there ?

Wouldn't have one here either - we just have our doggy Trixie (:-)

Regards
Pete
Nanneys Bridge Nursery

Making bird-scarers from old CDs... AL_n United Kingdom 5 03-04-2012 11:09 AM
cat scarers stevej United Kingdom 27 26-06-2010 11:42 AM
bird scarers bob[_5_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2010 07:28 PM
Sonic Rabbit scarers [email protected] United Kingdom 0 20-06-2006 09:58 AM
heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM