Old 15-10-2010, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat Scarers

Sacha wrote in :

I wonder if there's a water pistol that would be set off by movement!

Good idea, after a quick search have found some things which may fit the
bill. Good idea will let you know when I have had a good look.

Could you could just protect your veg. patch with the fence?

Apart from a bit of a lawn our whole garden is a veg patch so it is not
economically viable, and even if it was why should we spend money like that
to stop a lot of selfish pet owners facing up to the fact that they are
responsible for their own potentially poxed cats spreading their disgusting
mess. They KNOW that the animal is above the law and can drop its filth
anywhere it pleases.

I'm afraid that I'm at a loss to
understand cat owners who think their animal's habit of bringing them
little 'presents' in the way of dead mice, voles and birds, is somehow
attractive!

These people baffle me too. The moggy plays with tham first I have heard,
and then kills them! And not to eat either, just for pleasure.
How sick.

Baz
Old 15-10-2010, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

I wonder if there's a water pistol that would be set off by movement!

Found this one.

http://www.deteracat.co.uk/scarecrow_water_jet_pack.htm

Looking for similar on a larger scale and cant find one, assuming they
work.
This looks like a gadget that might do a small area.

Baz

Old 15-10-2010, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
Baz wrote:

6. Many white cats are congenitally (?) deaf (which shows that many cat
breeders know as much about breeding cats as Crufts and dog breeders
know about breeding dogs). If your particular problem is a white moggy,
you may find that ultrasonic scarers don't work ....

Yes, many white cats are deaf, so the scarer will not work on them, but
you are hardly likely to have lots of white deaf cats in your garden, are
you?
I take exception to your opinion about cat & dog breeders and more so
about Cruft's judges.
You know a Cruft's judge personally? I do, and she has the highest ethics
in the world otherwise she would not be my best friend.
Tina

Hee! Hee!

Bill

Old 15-10-2010, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
Sacha wrote in :

I wonder if there's a water pistol that would be set off by movement!

Good idea, after a quick search have found some things which may fit the
bill. Good idea will let you know when I have had a good look.

I know a man who rigged a hose pipe to do that.
He eventually abandoned it after receiving too many soakings.

I may be lying....
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 15-10-2010, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Alan
writes
In message , prb
wrote

Anti freeze des not deter cats, it kills them. A very painful and nasty
death too. However much you hate cats, surely you don't really want them
dead?

That's the responsibility of the owner. A cat that is adequately fed by
it's owner and kept under control wouldn't come into contact with
anti-freeze.

"Cat" and "control" in the same sentence?

Have you ever owned a cat? ;-)
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 15-10-2010, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Interested to know why you wouldn't have one there ?

Because we have a lot of birds here and we not only enjoy them, they're a
valuable part of the biological controls we use - but in their case it's
voluntary in exchange for abundant food and drink!

We enjoy them too but I cannot claim to take advantage of your second
reason.

We have a resident blackbird who seems to think a proportion of the
strawberry crop is it's right
to take.

OK -we are not a professional set-up now, so I do not bother to net.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-10-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

(Larry Stoter) wrote in
:

I have bought 2 static plus a hand-held ultrasonic cat "scarers".

They do seem to work - we haven't had much cat activity in the garden
for some time. A couple of observations:

1. If battery powered, you do need to make sure to replace the
batteries
:-)

2. They are directional - make sure they point in the right direction!

3. Moggies aren't entirely stupid - they do learn. So, if your local
moggies have multiple access routes and options for wandering through
your garden, then you need to move the cat scarers every month or so.

4. Our garden is very enclosed, with fences, rambling roses, shrubs,
etc. There are very few routes for moggies into the garden. In these
circumstances, I think the scarers work pretty well. If your
garden/allotment has more open access then I guess it will be more
difficult - you'll need more scarers and need to move them around
more.

5. I bought the first one from the RSPB - a bit pricey but seems to
work. I bought a 2nd static plus a handheld on-line (not the site to
which you refer and I entirely agree with your attitude to the poster
on that site - stuff him!). Can't remember who but I think it was the
same company who supply RSPB but bought direct.

6. Many white cats are congenitally (?) deaf (which shows that many
cat breeders know as much about breeding cats as Crufts and dog
breeders know about breeding dogs). If your particular problem is a
white moggy, you may find that ultrasonic scarers don't work ....

7. The hand-held ones are quite useful if a moggy makes if past the
static scarers and you spot it. Most leave very rapidlly :-)

Larry

Thanks for the info, much welcome.

You wrote:
A somewhat iffy address but I'll I'll assume you are genuine ....

How so?
What makes it iffy?

Baz

Doesn't look like a real address ....

.... but then my e-maik address is a fake one as well :-)

Larry
Old 15-10-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote:

6. Many white cats are congenitally (?) deaf (which shows that many cat
breeders know as much about breeding cats as Crufts and dog breeders
know about breeding dogs). If your particular problem is a white moggy,
you may find that ultrasonic scarers don't work ....

Yes, many white cats are deaf, so the scarer will not work on them, but you
are hardly likely to have lots of white deaf cats in your garden, are you?

Cats being territorial, I was making the specific point that, in this
case, if the nuisance is a white cat (which was not specified), an
ultrasonic scarer might be a waste of money.

I take exception to your opinion about cat & dog breeders and more so about
Cruft's judges.
You know a Cruft's judge personally? I do, and she has the highest ethics
in the world otherwise she would not be my best friend.
Tina

I didn't say anything about Crufts judges and have no doubt that many of
them are responsible and ethical people ....

However, if dog and cat breeders are so good and ethical, why do so many
breeds have problems with congenital diseases - like white cats being
deaf, red setters having hip problems, bull dogs having breathing
difficulties, etc?

And why do (did?) Crufts breed standards require dogs to be mutilated?

Larry
Old 15-10-2010, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
wrote

"Cat" and "control" in the same sentence?

It's perfectly easy to control a cat it's just that many anti-social
arseholes who own them don't bother.

Even in this thread it suggested that if we don't want them on our
property we can to put up fencing, netting, electric wires, cages etc.

What's wrong with owners being responsible for the animals they wish to
keep and doing the same to confine the cats to their own property?

I'll also bet that these same people who are not prepared to spend any
money controlling their pets will be the first to blame others if they
get poisoned or injured on other people's property.

--
Alan
Old 15-10-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote
On 2010-10-15 12:58:39 +0100, Alan said:

In message , prb
wrote
Anti freeze des not deter cats, it kills them. A very painful and
nasty
death too. However much you hate cats, surely you don't really want them
dead?

That's the responsibility of the owner. A cat that is adequately fed
by it's owner and kept under control wouldn't come into contact with
anti-freeze.

That is nonsensical, I'm afraid. Cats are hunters. Being fed by the
owner is neither here nor there and 'kept under control' can only mean
house arrest.

So is it responsible to keep such an animal in an urban environment?
--
Alan

Old 15-10-2010, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan wrote:
In message , Frank
Booth Snr wrote

Simple solution. Train your cat to use the toilet..

Er, it's the animals belonging to other people that is the problem. If
responsible cat owned trained their cats there wouldn't be a problem but
the majority of cat owned are irresponsible and expect other to clean up
the s**t from their pets.

So in that case why not train their cats to use your toilet then?
Old 15-10-2010, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Frank
Booth Snr wrote
Alan wrote:
In message , Frank
Booth Snr wrote

Simple solution. Train your cat to use the toilet..

Er, it's the animals belonging to other people that is the problem. If
responsible cat owned trained their cats there wouldn't be a problem but
the majority of cat owned are irresponsible and expect other to clean up
the s**t from their pets.

So in that case why not train their cats to use your toilet then?

Why is it that anti-social cat owner consider it is other people's
responsibility to look after, or train, their animals?

--
Alan
Old 15-10-2010, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

We don't grow strawberries ourselves except for the occasional fraises de
bois found lurking somewhere. But the blackbirds do seem to like having a
go at the greenouse tomatoes. I don't begrudge them but I do wish they'd
take one, eat it and be done with that, rather than pecking holes in
others and then leaving them!

I have tried the sacrificial saucer technique for the toms - it has
definitely reduced
the number of pecked ones.

The later tom plantings are still flowering and fruiting in the (unheated)
greenhouse !

Looks like this weekend's predicted frosts may do for them though (:-(

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 15-10-2010, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote

In message , Sacha wrote
On 2010-10-15 12:58:39 +0100, Alan said:

In message , prb
wrote
Anti freeze des not deter cats, it kills them. A very painful and nasty
death too. However much you hate cats, surely you don't really want them
dead?
That's the responsibility of the owner. A cat that is adequately
fed by it's owner and kept under control wouldn't come into
contact with anti-freeze.
That is nonsensical, I'm afraid. Cats are hunters. Being fed by
the owner is neither here nor there and 'kept under control' can
only mean house arrest.

So is it responsible to keep such an animal in an urban
environment?

Your irresponsible is someone else's pet. and keeping 6 cats or more
isn not yet illegal. Cats are not considered 'controllable' in law.
Causing unnecessary suffering to an animal is illegal and suggesting
the use of poison because anyone doesn't like others' pets is
disgusting.

Your reply just confirms that it impossible to get a cat owner to take
responsible for their cats and it is evident that humane ways of
deterring cats from shitting in other peoples gardens doesn't work. The
ONLY recourse is obviously a little dose of their own medicine
containing something that will keep them away for good.

It's to be hoped next door's noisy, whining, screaming child doesn't
wander in and pick it up....in an urban environment.

That whining screaming kid is more likely to catch something nasty from
picking up the cat shit. It's your attitude that stinks. You favour the
actions of irresponsible cat owners over the health of a child.

--
Alan
Old 15-10-2010, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

(Larry Stoter) wrote in news:1jqezpr.1lvd7vh1yqi55eN%larry@
666.com:

Baz wrote:

(Larry Stoter) wrote in
:

You wrote:
A somewhat iffy address but I'll I'll assume you are genuine ....

How so?
What makes it iffy?

Baz

Doesn't look like a real address ....

... but then my e-maik address is a fake one as well :-)

Larry

Keep taking the pills.

Making bird-scarers from old CDs... AL_n United Kingdom 5 03-04-2012 11:09 AM
cat scarers stevej United Kingdom 27 26-06-2010 11:42 AM
bird scarers bob[_5_] United Kingdom 4 01-05-2010 07:28 PM
Sonic Rabbit scarers [email protected] United Kingdom 0 20-06-2006 09:58 AM
heron/cat scarers..question Tumbleweed United Kingdom 5 26-04-2004 11:08 AM