Old 28-10-2010, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default [OT] When should you wear Poppies?

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Remember that they are now needing even more to help the servicemen
maimed or mentally scarred in the two recent wars....

I prefer to wear both the red and the white poppies, so I generally wait
till the white ones are available. Unless it goes wrong, as it did last
year, and the white ones didn't show up here at all.

As a "red" seller, could I just ask for clarification of the nature of these
white ones ?

Thanks
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 29-10-2010, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Pete
writes

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message

Remember that they are now needing even more to help the servicemen
maimed or mentally scarred in the two recent wars....

I prefer to wear both the red and the white poppies, so I generally
wait till the white ones are available. Unless it goes wrong, as it
did last year, and the white ones didn't show up here at all.

As a "red" seller, could I just ask for clarification of the nature of
these white ones ?

Thanks
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

They are supposed to convey a wish for peace, in addition to the
remembrance of those killed or maimed by war.

Margaret Thatcher despised the idea of white poppies, and the red poppy
lobby say that the red ones also promote peace.
In N Ireland they have an association with Unionists, so there is a
further influence.

I don't remember seeing a white poppy.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 29-10-2010, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gordon H" wrote in message

As a "red" seller, could I just ask for clarification of the nature of
these white ones ?

Thanks
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

They are supposed to convey a wish for peace, in addition to the
remembrance of those killed or maimed by war.

Margaret Thatcher despised the idea of white poppies, and the red poppy
lobby say that the red ones also promote peace.
In N Ireland they have an association with Unionists, so there is a
further influence.

I don't remember seeing a white poppy.
--

Me neither.
Doves are the nearest that have a true white version for peace

Regards
Pete

Old 29-10-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pete wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

As a "red" seller, could I just ask for clarification of the nature
of these white ones ?

Thanks
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

They are supposed to convey a wish for peace, in addition to the
remembrance of those killed or maimed by war.

Margaret Thatcher despised the idea of white poppies, and the red
poppy lobby say that the red ones also promote peace.
In N Ireland they have an association with Unionists, so there is a
further influence.

I don't remember seeing a white poppy.
--

Me neither.
Doves are the nearest that have a true white version for peace

They aren't common. You get them from Friends' Meeting Houses, some
churches, and similar evil nests of subversion. Formerly closely
associated with the Peace Pledge Union (which, I think, is still where
they come from), they're now more a vague pro-peace than a full-volume
campaigning statement. As I mentioned, I like to wear both.

-
'620 Mike.