Old 24-10-2010, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default [OT] When should you wear Poppies?

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.
Don
Old 24-10-2010, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:30:18 +0100, Donwill wrote:

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in. Don

The official launch of the fund (at least here in Jersey) is a week from
today, exactly two weeks before remembrance Sunday. So from then on, if
you want to avoid the attentions of the sellers. My problem is that at
this time of year I don't need to wear a jacket or coat here and if I
bought one for every fleece, polo shirt and tee-shirt I might wear in
that fortnight I'd be broke
Old 24-10-2010, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Donwill" wrote ...
People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.

Not even seen anyone selling Poppies yet.
Think it's a bit like Christmas with the media, they start much too early.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 24-10-2010, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.
Don

I see it as a poppy marketing ploy. Get some people on TV to wear
poppies early and the sale of poppies will start early. By the 11th
day new poppies will be needed.

Steve

Old 24-10-2010, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
I see it as a poppy marketing ploy. Get some people on TV to wear
poppies early and the sale of poppies will start early. By the 11th
day new poppies will be needed.

Steve

I got one made of ceramic on Ebay from an artist in Wales, in fact I got
a small one and a larger one ( proceeds got to help for heroes) and
actually wear the little one all the time, but then Tom was shot in
N.I.!

I see no reason why you can't wear them whenever you want but I take
your point about the 'official' wearing of them on TV.
They are selling them in at least 2 Wyevales around here.

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 24-10-2010, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 Donwill wrote:

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.

I noticed this. It always had been two weeks before Remembrance Sunday
but this year it appears to be three weeks. Don't remember any
announcement about this.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 24-10-2010, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 Donwill wrote:

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year or
is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of the
11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.

I noticed this. It always had been two weeks before Remembrance Sunday but
this year it appears to be three weeks. Don't remember any announcement
about this.

Seems longer this year as well because Remembrance Sunday is on a later
date than the average year.
The official appeal launch day is next Thursday round here, I read in the
local paper iirc.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 24-10-2010, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 Pete wrote:

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this
year or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th
day of the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I
usually wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.

I noticed this. It always had been two weeks before Remembrance
Sunday but this year it appears to be three weeks. Don't remember any
announcement about this.

Seems longer this year as well because Remembrance Sunday is on a
later date than the average year.

It is always on the Sunday nearest to the 11th. So the 14th (this year)
is as late and the 8th is as early as it can be.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 24-10-2010, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message

Seems longer this year as well because Remembrance Sunday is on a later
date than the average year.

It is always on the Sunday nearest to the 11th. So the 14th (this year) is
as late and the 8th is as early as it can be.

Now that I have retired - I can now choose to attend a service locally that
takes place on 11/11.
I will attend the service on the 14th. by television only

Regards
Pete

Old 24-10-2010, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pete
writes
Now that I have retired - I can now choose to attend a service locally
that takes place on 11/11.
I will attend the service on the 14th. by television only

I go to the Service at Westminster Abbey on the 11th when we can lay
crosses in the Garden of Remembrance and the Parade on the Saturday .
The last couple of years have seen many more people lining the streets
when we lay the wreaths at the Cenotaph for the War Widows.

It's so busy in London on the Sunday that like you i choose to do the
local one on the Sunday.
Janet

Old 24-10-2010, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Donwill" wrote ...
People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this
year or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th
day of the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.

Not even seen anyone selling Poppies yet. Think it's a bit like
Christmas with the media, they start much too early.

Could it be cheapjacks wearing previous years' tokens?

--
Rusty
Old 24-10-2010, 06:15 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Turner View Post
My problem is that at
this time of year I don't need to wear a jacket or coat here and if I
bought one for every fleece, polo shirt and tee-shirt I might wear in
that fortnight I'd be broke
No you wouldn't - there is no fixed price;-)
Just pay what you are willing to give.

Most poppy sellers I come across offer me more than one poppy
__________________
Old 24-10-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.
Don

I don't think it's official yet.
Just broadcasters just trying to get one-up on each other and making a
mockery of a serious occasion.
Old 24-10-2010, 11:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Technically, anyone can wear a badge supporting a charity all year round.
And that's just what the poppy is. More usually, it tends to be on sale
to the public about two weeks before Remembrance Day, the second Sunday in
November. I thought they seemed to be on e.g. tv newsreaders lapels
earlier than usual. Perhaps that reflects media thinking about the war in
Afghanistan, for example.
--

Wrong - Sacha.

The poppy is not a "badge" and it is not a lot to do with war in Afganistan
in particular.

You belittle media interest falsely.

The poppy is the chosen symbol of remembrance by the British Legion for
the fallen in all recent warfare.

I welcome all, including early, media thinking on the principal, that you
seem show little understanding of.

Pete

Old 25-10-2010, 02:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pete
writes
The poppy is the chosen symbol of remembrance by the British Legion
for the fallen in all recent warfare.

In all warfare Pete, not just recent, unless you count the first and
second world wars as recent.