Old 25-10-2010, 07:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default [OT] When should you wear Poppies?

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Pete
writes
The poppy is the chosen symbol of remembrance by the British Legion for
the fallen in all recent warfare.

In all warfare Pete, not just recent, unless you count the first and
second world wars as recent.

I do count them as recent as in recent history, but I feel that all warfare
is a perhaps little too general.
Regards
Pete

Old 25-10-2010, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Donwill
writes
People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.
Don

Not sure about the dates, I usually get one when I see a poppy seller.

I usually choose the very basic poppy, and make a donation, rather than
buy an elaborate one, because when I asked a lady who was selling them
she told me that they make more on the simple ones which cost almost
nothing to produce.
Having been a member of the British Legion I get many opportunities to
buy raffle tickets and make donations which pop through my letter box
several times per year. :-)

Remember that they are now needing even more to help the servicemen
maimed or mentally scarred in the two recent wars....
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 25-10-2010, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

Derek Turner;903604 Wrote:
My problem is that at
this time of year I don't need to wear a jacket or coat here and if I
bought one for every fleece, polo shirt and tee-shirt I might wear in
that fortnight I'd be broke

No you wouldn't - there is no fixed price;-)
Just pay what you are willing to give.

Most poppy sellers I come across offer me more than one poppy

Agreed! Consider it a donation, and pick up the simplest poppy.

I invariably lose mine and get another.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 25-10-2010, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Donwill" wrote ...
People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.

Not even seen anyone selling Poppies yet.

The British Legion Poppy Appeal campaign has been launched. The boxes
of poppies went out in the mail to shops and businesses over the
weekend.

IIRC the BBC policy is that presenters wear poppies from the campaign
launch until the 11th, or it could be until Rememberance Sunday.
Old 25-10-2010, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Gordon H
writes
Remember that they are now needing even more to help the servicemen
maimed or mentally scarred in the two recent wars....

There are still soldiers suffering horrific injuries from The Falklands,
Ireland, Bosnia and Iraq etc. as well, but I'm glad the public are more
aware these days.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 25-10-2010, 05:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-10-24 23:54:58 +0100, "Pete" said:

I welcome all, including early, media thinking on the principal, that
you seem show little understanding of.

Pete

The principal what?
--
Sacha

Oh god, I do not know.
I confess that that sentence makes little sense.
I withdraw it, with apologies.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Old 26-10-2010, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes

On 2010-10-24 23:54:58 +0100, "Pete" said:
I welcome all, including early, media thinking on the principal,
that you seem show little understanding of.
Pete
The principal what?
--
Sacha

Oh god, I do not know.
I confess that that sentence makes little sense.
I withdraw it, with apologies.
Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

I just wondered what I'm missing!! But thank you.

My birthday, that's what.
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha
Old 27-10-2010, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 13:30:18 +0100, Donwill
wrote:

People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.
Don

the one show last night?
I noticed them wearing them and thought it was far too early too.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 27-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donwill[_2_] View Post
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters.
There shouldn't be any "should" about it. I think the broadcasters who didn't wear one should have lambasted as bullies those who criticised them for it rather than falling in line. We shouldn't be under pressure to display our beliefs and affiliations in public, even if it is a belief whose opposite is considered politically incorrect. I'm not under any pressure to go around displaying icons to say that I'm against paedophilia or in favour of any other widely supported charities or movements. So why should I be under pressure to display an icon showing I am in favour of this one? Absence of an icon of support should not be interpreted as being against it. Conformity to a norm is what goes on in totalitarian societies, and we should aim to be free from that.
Old 27-10-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.
Don

the one show last night?
I noticed them wearing them and thought it was far too early too.

I've decided to declare my support for the BBC and against the Daily Mail by
wearing my poppy now instead of finally remembering to buy one on 10th.

Old 28-10-2010, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gordon H wrote:
I've decided to declare my support for the BBC and against the Daily Mail by
wearing my poppy now instead of finally remembering to buy one on 10th.

I'm not that aggressive, I content myself by turning all the top copies
of the Daily Mail over on the news stand so that the back page shows.

I am amused at the idea of minor sabotage of a newsagent being considered
'less aggressive' than wearing a paper+plastic flower. Which I've managed
already to lose. Dammit!

Old 28-10-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
[...]

I prefer to wear both the red and the white poppies, so I generally wait
till the white ones are available. Unless it goes wrong, as it did last
year, and the white ones didn't show up here at all.

--
Mike.

Old 28-10-2010, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 12:58:49 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message ,
writes
mogga wrote:
People who appear on TV seem to be wearing poppies very early this year
or is it my imagination? There are 19 days to go before the 11th day of
the 11th Month.
What is the protocol for this and who decides these matters. I usually
wear a red poppy during the week in which the 11th day falls in.
Don

the one show last night?
I noticed them wearing them and thought it was far too early too.

I've decided to declare my support for the BBC and against the Daily Mail by
wearing my poppy now instead of finally remembering to buy one on 10th.

I'm not that aggressive, I content myself by turning all the top copies
of the Daily Mail over on the news stand so that the back page shows.

and leaving all the copies of the Sun open at page 3?

I don't touch the Sun, too conscious of what can be passed on from the
grubby hands which have already handled it many times.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply