Old 01-11-2010, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weird looking mushroom

Hi,
I have been lurking in this group for about six months but have
not been able to offer any gardening advice I'm afraid but I have
learnt a lot and enjoy reading the group anyway.

I have a query on identifying the following mushroom type via the
photo, it has unfortunately fallen over as you can see the green
head or cap on the ground in the photo image.

http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/mroom1.jpg
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/mroom2.jpg

The mushroom? was standing tall last night but this morning it
appeared to be damaged or perhaps eaten. It smells very strongly
of honey but not sure if this particular mushroom will or can
effect other plants trees etc, any help gratefully received.

Regards,

Stephen.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 22:04:01 GMT, wrote:

Hi,
I have been lurking in this group for about six months but have
not been able to offer any gardening advice I'm afraid but I have
learnt a lot and enjoy reading the group anyway.

I have a query on identifying the following mushroom type via the
photo, it has unfortunately fallen over as you can see the green
head or cap on the ground in the photo image.

http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/mroom1.jpg
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/mroom2.jpg

The mushroom? was standing tall last night but this morning it
appeared to be damaged or perhaps eaten. It smells very strongly
of honey but not sure if this particular mushroom will or can
effect other plants trees etc, any help gratefully received.

Regards,

Stephen.

Was it giving off an awful smell? It looks like what is commonly
called "stinkhorn"! Others will give you its proper name.

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-11-2010, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/...ple/mroom2.jpg

--

Stinkhorn fungus?
Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"Ragnar" wrote:

Looks to me like Stinkhorn [Phallus impudicus]
R.

I've just googled "Stinkhorn" and it looks similar.

Stephen.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Pam Moore wrote:

[...]

Yes it does give off a horrid smell and there is a sticky
substance at the base that smells a bit like honey.

Stephen.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Dave wrote:

On 1 Nov, 18:04, wrote:
[...]

Is it something to worry about (garden or plant wise) or do I just
leave it/them alone?

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
In
Is it something to worry about (garden or plant wise) or do I just
leave it/them alone?
Nothing to worry about. I'd be delighted to get stinkhorns in my garden, they are such strange/weird things. They are said to be common, but I haven't seen one in about 10 years. There are also some related fungi that are even weirder, though more common in tropical climates. They expand out of an round white "egg" that can be confused with a puffball. These "eggs" are sought after to be eaten as aphrodisiacs, though I'm not sure I'd want to eat one!
Old 02-11-2010, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
Hi,
I have been lurking in this group for about six months but have
not been able to offer any gardening advice I'm afraid but I have
learnt a lot and enjoy reading the group anyway.

I have a query on identifying the following mushroom type via the
photo, it has unfortunately fallen over as you can see the green
head or cap on the ground in the photo image.

http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/mroom1.jpg
http://stephen.hull.mediacave.co.uk/example/mroom2.jpg

The mushroom? was standing tall last night but this morning it
appeared to be damaged or perhaps eaten. It smells very strongly
of honey but not sure if this particular mushroom will or can
effect other plants trees etc, any help gratefully received.

Stinkhorn - Phallus impudicus - grows from what looks and feels like a
'soft-shelled' egg (which is edible, but not generally raved-over).

The horn grows rapidly, and the cap smells of honey at first, but as the
cap ripens, the spores (on the outside of the cap) and the goo that they
are amongst 'mature' and said goo smells like a cross between a rotting
carcase and a ripe turd - foul enough to attract swarms of flies, which
devour the goo and get spores stuck to their feet, and these they
distribute about the next meal...

The horn part of the fungus is also edible, and is collected in France
(where else?), dried, and can be bought for considerable sums in delis.

No, I haven't tried these either.

--
Rusty
Old 02-11-2010, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Is it something to worry about (garden or plant wise) or do I just
leave it/them alone?

Nothing to worry about. Apart from its delightful fragrance, it does no
harm.

--
Rusty

Old 02-11-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
echinosum wrote:

;904230 Wrote:
In
Is it something to worry about (garden or plant wise) or do I just
leave it/them alone?

Nothing to worry about. I'd be delighted to get stinkhorns in my
garden, they are such strange/weird things. They are said to be
common, but I haven't seen one in about 10 years. There are also
some related fungi that are even weirder, though more common in
tropical climates. They expand out of an round white "egg" that
can be confused with a puffball. These "eggs" are sought after
to be eaten as aphrodisiacs, though I'm not sure I'd want to eat
one!

Thanks for the reassurance, I was worried about them contaminating
my fruit trees.
I would never have considered eating one though.

Stephen.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Rusty Hinge wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I can understande why they are called stink horn, they really do
stink.

The horn grows rapidly, and the cap smells of honey at first, but as the
cap ripens, the spores (on the outside of the cap) and the goo that they
are amongst 'mature' and said goo smells like a cross between a rotting
carcase and a ripe turd - foul enough to attract swarms of flies, which
devour the goo and get spores stuck to their feet, and these they
distribute about the next meal...

There was a definite smell of honey, and there's evidence of at
least six other stinkhorns in the same area of the garden but
these have only left the base ATM.

The horn part of the fungus is also edible, and is collected in France
(where else?), dried, and can be bought for considerable sums in delis.

No, I haven't tried these either.

Disgusting IMO.

Cheers,

Stephen.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Stinkhorn - Phallus impudicus - grows from what looks and feels like a
'soft-shelled' egg (which is edible, but not generally raved-over).

I have tried it. Think vegetable sheep's eyes ....

The horn part of the fungus is also edible, and is collected in France
(where else?), dried, and can be bought for considerable sums in delis.

Interesting.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Rusty Hinge wrote:

wrote:

Is it something to worry about (garden or plant wise) or do I
just leave it/them alone?

Nothing to worry about. Apart from its delightful fragrance, it
does no harm.

I'll leave well alone then, thanks to all for the feedback in
identifying them.

Regards,

Stephen.