Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default liquidambar

Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote in message ...
Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news

--

Sorry, clicked on the wrong one. Also known as Sweetgum in answer to your
question

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plant...ges/9209.shtml

--

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , lid
writes
Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?

Also known as Sweet Gum.

I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

The usual species grown is the American Liquidambar styraciflua, which
Wikipedia says reaches 30m. Wikipedia also tells us that 'Gumball' ('Gum
Ball' per PlantFinder) reaches 2m, and 'Parasol' 10m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquidambar_styraciflua

Googling for 'Worplesdon' (the most popular variety) finds a Gardeners
World blog entry mentioning that 'Moonbeam' also reaches 10m. This also
says that the size of Liquidambars can be controlled by pruning.

http://blog.gardenersworld.com/2008/...lant-this-tree
/

Otherwise, work your way through the names in PlantFinder and see what
Google turns up in the way of descriptions.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 04-11-2010, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bob" wrote ...

Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

I planted one decades ago that I was told would not grow too big.
Had to have it cut down eventually because it grew too big, and quite
quickly too.
Lovely tree though, if you have the room.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-11-2010, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:03:39 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , lid
writes
[...]

much obliged for this - at least the tree looks controllable up to a
point and with regular pruning.

I'd be inclined to go for the moonbeam but as this is for france and
will be from a french supplier, I'm not sure if they would name it
similarly?

(thanks too to Mike and Bob Holden - at least I'm forewarned about
it's tendency to grow big)
Old 04-11-2010, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/04/2010 05:22 PM, bob wrote:
On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:03:39 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , lid
writes
[...]

Hi Bob,

'Moonbeam' is 'Moonbeam,' even in France. The national collection is
held here by the Pepinieres Adeline, who's new web site has just gone
live at http://www.adeline-pepinieres.com. My 'Moonbeam' comes from
there, along with 'Stared,' and the quality is very good. Delivery is
by truck for larger plants but is quite reasonable; in any case they do
a detailed breakdown so you can decide before you order. (I do see they
were bought, no doubt as Madame's health was problematic. I don't know
to what extent M. Adeline is still involved in the operation.)

I grow several other Liquidambars as well (including L. acalycina) but
'Gumball' isn't one of them. As the name suggests, 'Gumball' doesn't
much resemble a Liquidambar at all, max height is 2 m. However 'Silver
King' might fit the bill, it's a lovely variegation that doesn't burn in
the Normandy sun, and has a max height of 8 m. Mine is growing only
slowly now and has reached perhaps 5-6 m in 15 years. It's a much
admired specimen tree, although the fall colours are not as spectacular
as 'Moonbeam,' which changes slowly over the entire tree, showing a
remarkable range of colours all at the same time.

Glancing through the Adeline catalog they list 'Festival', 'Moonbeam',
'Parasol','Pendula' and 'Rotundilobum' all as max 10 m. My
'Rotundilobum' purchased from another source died this spring, I intend
to replace it with a graft from Adeline.

HTH

-E
Old 05-11-2010, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 18:31:36 +0100, Emery Davis
wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for so much detail, Emery.

I'm in the UK at the moment but when I get back to France will speak
to the chap who's going to plant this tree for me - in fact is was he
who suggested the liquidambar. He has his own pepinieriste so don't
yet know how broad his knowledge might be.

In the light of your post and Stewart's I'm favouring Moonbeam as this
looks as though it might offer both moderate size and not too slow
growth - apart from it's own display, the tree will be helping to mask
a building project that's just at the other side of my garden.

Thanks also for your link - I'll check prices with them also, although
I fear shipping will make this prohibitive.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 4, 8:34*am, bob wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. *I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

I have no experience of the smaller clones but the big ones are superb
if you have the space - nothing else I know goes through the gamut of
harlequin colours like they do.
I wonder if you should be looking at Liquidambar at all given your
size restriction. Perhaps some of the medium Acers or Nyssa sinensis
might be better - all of them good in the autumn colour department but
more modest sizes.

Rod
Old 06-11-2010, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On 2010-11-04 08:34:49 +0000, bob said:

Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

They're very big and very beautiful but they are NOT usually remotely
close to the size you mention as they can - and do - go to 50'.
However, I'm told there's one called Liquidambar styraciflua Gum Ball
which is a lollipop shape and grows to about 8 feet. Apparently it
has the same bright autumn colours so it might be worth your looking
for that one to see if it suits your needs.

- thanks Sacha, unfortunately I need ASAP a tree which will mask a
social housing project at the end of my (fortunately) longish garden -
a 15 metre monster 3 floors + 2 attic. The advice here has pointed to
Moonbeam but with my current mood about the impact of this I'd
probably go less reluctantly with the larger variety if my gardener is
having any trouble sourcing, especially given it's happy response to
aggressive pruning and, I guess, a faster initial growing.

My guilty secret is that I don't intend to stay here long enough for
the tree to remain my problem!!

Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 11:13:36 -0700 (PDT), Rod
wrote:

On Nov 4, 8:34*am, bob wrote:
Does anyone have any experience of these trees? Is it known also by
another name?
I'm trying to find one that doesn't get too much taller than 4-5
metres. *I wonder, does it exist and how quickly does it grow?

I have no experience of the smaller clones but the big ones are superb
if you have the space - nothing else I know goes through the gamut of
harlequin colours like they do.
I wonder if you should be looking at Liquidambar at all given your
size restriction. Perhaps some of the medium Acers or Nyssa sinensis
might be better - all of them good in the autumn colour department but
more modest sizes.

Rod

I've checked some of the pics on google and I love the look of the
tree you've suggested but as I mentioned to Sacha, I have an urgent
need for size which in the last few days has started to dominate other
considerations. I've already had half a dozen paper birch trees
planted and I wanted to get some variety so have opted for the
liquidambar whcih I suspect will be a faster grower than the Nyssa
sinensis? I appreciate the suggestion though, many thanks for that.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , lid
writes
wrote:

On Nov 4, 8:34*am, bob wrote:
[...]

The Japanese maples can be stunning in autumn, but they're slow growing,
and I have the impression that they're finicky about where they grew.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On Nov 4, 8:34 am, bob wrote:
[...]

My experience is that the Nyssas are not quick growing, but then neither
is L.s. 'Moonbeam.'

As for maples, you might consider Acer rubrum 'Armstrong', an upright
form, somewhat like a Liquidambar, but which has been shown to average
close to 70 cm growth per year. It has excellent colour in our climate.
Another good choice would be Acer buergerianum, the trident maple,
which has a naturally bushy shape (it has to be trained into a
standard), shiny green leaves and a wonderful, long lasting autumn
display. It's a pretty quick grower once established.

On the other hand, given the situation, maybe you want something
evergreen?

-E
Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emery Davis
writes
wrote:

On Nov 4, 8:34 am, bob wrote:
[...]

I was going to suggest one of the wintergold pines, but Google tells me
that they're slow growing.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-11-2010, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

wrote:

On Nov 4, 8:34 am, bob wrote:
[...]

I saw a L. worplesden yesterday - apparently reaches 5metres finally.
I'm not sure about the speed.

As for maples, you might consider Acer rubrum 'Armstrong', an upright
form, somewhat like a Liquidambar, but which has been shown to average
close to 70 cm growth per year. It has excellent colour in our climate.
Another good choice would be Acer buergerianum, the trident maple,
which has a naturally bushy shape (it has to be trained into a
standard), shiny green leaves and a wonderful, long lasting autumn
display. It's a pretty quick grower once established.

On the other hand, given the situation, maybe you want something
evergreen?

I had thought about that but am less concerned about the winter aspect
and the evergreen options are evidently fewer - many thanks for the
Acer suggestions though, I'll make sure they go on the list of
possibles.

-E