Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24-11-2010, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Caffeine versus slugs & snails

"Bertie Doe" wrote ...

So far, all my spent coffee grinds, have ended up in my
compostor ( I believe there was a thread on ukrg last
year).

After reading the following article, I'll separate the
coffee and use it as a spray next year, on the
allotment. It also mentions tea leaves as a good source
http://preview.tinyurl.com/34gjnw2

The only problem I see is that DEFRA have not given it a licence to be used
as a pesticide, it has not been tested as such, and we therefor do not know
what damage it would cause to the environment as a whole. It might also kill
birds and others that eat the contaminated slugs for example, it might do
irreparable damage to the soil flora/fauna.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden