Old 22-12-2010, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Our growing season

For those amongst you who are now wistfully casting your minds back to the
heady days of summer when your soil was workable (and visible), here is a
time-lapse of the growing season on our allotment.

It begins on 5th May, and ends on 17th Nov. I took a picture on every visit
to the plot, attempting to align the view the same each time, with varying
degrees of success. I tried to take the pics as close to midday as possible
because of the shadows, but again this was not always possible. Also the sun
was sometimes rather brighter than I would have preferred. I tried to take
the pic when the sun went in on days when there was some cloud cover, but
some days there was unbroken sunshine. I know that seems difficult to
envisage right now. And I tried to keep the watering cans etc from popping
in and out of view. Again with varying success.

I hope you enjoy it. Questions, suggestions, ideas and constructive
criticism all welcome. Next year I plan to do one of the whole year. Watch
this space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ7rJLTGYMk

--
Steve

Never shake the ketchup bottle. None'll come, and then a lot'll

Old 22-12-2010, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/23/2010 12:05 AM, shazzbat wrote:
For those amongst you who are now wistfully casting your minds back to the
heady days of summer when your soil was workable (and visible), here is a
time-lapse of the growing season on our allotment.

Brilliant, very enjoyable. Look forward to the whole year next year.

-E
Old 23-12-2010, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:05:19 -0000, "shazzbat"
wrote:

[...]

Fab!
My OH is putting together timelapse of the work done on our new
allotments (All covered in snow right now!) and when it's done I'll
try and get it online!
I think timelapse of the lifetime of an allotment is worth collecting!
So nice to see your plants growing!
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 23-12-2010, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message
[...]

Very interesting and a novel way to record you allotment

Well done

Bill

Old 23-12-2010, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/2010 13:02, Bill Grey wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

I suppose a precisely located tripod would make the end result easier on
the eye. Says he who has been meaning to do something similar for years
but never had the patience :-)

Old 23-12-2010, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

I've seen this done in boat building, where a luxury yacht is being built
for example. The secret is to make a shelf or bracket with blocks of wood or
angles, so the camera ALWAYS fits into the same place. By doing it this way,
two or three different positions in and outside the building can be set up
and they are always spot on.

Also saw the result of the same sort of progress on a Classic Car rebuild.

Mike

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 23-12-2010, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
"shazzbat" wrote:

I hope you enjoy it. Questions, suggestions, ideas and constructive
criticism all welcome. Next year I plan to do one of the whole year. Watch
this space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ7rJLTGYMk

That's quite cool, an interesting way to show all seasons, well
almost

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
Coach painting tips and techniques + Land Rover colour codes
Old 23-12-2010, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

Indeed. three marks on the ground would at least locate the tripod site
accurately. Then a repeatable height and point of aim would enable
consistent photography of the garden

Bill

Old 23-12-2010, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:08:37 -0000, Bill Grey wrote:

Indeed. three marks on the ground would at least locate the tripod site
accurately. Then a repeatable height and point of aim would enable
consistent photography of the garden

Not watched it yet but looking forward to it.

Anything that you have to set up each time will still make for a
wobble between images. If there is a good solid post or object that
you could attach something like a Cullman quick release unit to that
would enable much better
repeatabilty:

http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/...it-quick-relea
se-unit_d5242.html

http://tinyurl.com/3xewlhw

The square plate detaches from the base and fixes to the camera. The
base, the bit with the lever, you fix to the solid post/object with
at least two fixings (to stop it rotating). Pop an old small
fertiliser/compost bag over it to keep the worst of the weather and
prying eyes away.

Even a few blocks of wood fixed on the solid object that hold the
base of camera in the same place would probably do but watch of
front/back tipping if using a modern camera with narrow base.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 24-12-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in
:

[...]

Wonderful, and thankyou for sharing it with us.
An inspiration for all of us to capture our own year on camera to show in
years to come to our families.
No criticism here, it's marvelous, and very well done.

Baz

Old 25-12-2010, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:05:19 -0000, shazzbat wrote:

I hope you enjoy it. Questions, suggestions, ideas and constructive
criticism all welcome.

Just watched it, excellent. I really like the way the corgettes(?)
explode into life, froma tiny netted plant to a great bush of foliage
over about 3 frames.

Next year I plan to do one of the whole year. Watch this space.

Look forward to it. At your 1 second or so per image rate I wouldn't
worry too much about sunshine or not, each image is standing on it's
own and at that rate you get a chance to look around it to see what
has changed. You could probably slow things down and use rapid fades
if you manage to get repeatable images with minimal wobble, fades
might disguise small amounts of wobble.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 25-12-2010, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 23:05:19 -0000, shazzbat wrote:

Next year I plan to do one of the whole year. Watch this space.

Look forward to it. At your 1 second or so per image rate I wouldn't
worry too much about sunshine or not, each image is standing on it's
own and at that rate you get a chance to look around it to see what
has changed. You could probably slow things down and use rapid fades
if you manage to get repeatable images with minimal wobble, fades
might disguise small amounts of wobble.

Also worth investigating astronomy image processing tools. They're
used to combine a number of frames (although usually into a single
image rather than a sequence) and are very good at adjusting images so
there is no jump between frames. Registax is one popular tool.

Anthony

Old 25-12-2010, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:38:17 +0000, Anthony Frost wrote:

Also worth investigating astronomy image processing tools. They're
used to combine a number of frames (although usually into a single
image rather than a sequence) and are very good at adjusting images so
there is no jump between frames. Registax is one popular tool.

Good call provided they can produce aligned seperate images or a time
lapse video sequence. A quick look at the Registax site doesn't tell
me what it can actually do.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sat, 25 Dec 2010 13:38:17 +0000, Anthony Frost wrote:

Also worth investigating astronomy image processing tools. They're
used to combine a number of frames (although usually into a single
image rather than a sequence) and are very good at adjusting images so
there is no jump between frames. Registax is one popular tool.

Good call provided they can produce aligned seperate images or a time
lapse video sequence. A quick look at the Registax site doesn't tell
me what it can actually do.

Thanks for the comments everybody. I've been there this morning and taken
the first pic, the 2011 season starts here.

Those last bits are a bit techy for me, I think I'll do it the same way
again.

Steve