Old 09-01-2011, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Managed to dig today.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2011 23:15:33 GMT, Baz wrote:

lots of other bits snipped

Also, not everyone in the world can taste the difference between home and
supermarket vegetables, but as you say all you have to do is go and pick em
or dig em. A convenience store at home. Well almost.

Baz

I feel sorry for those who have fawlty taste buds. The taste of a raw
pea just picked and popped from the pod is so sweet that many peas
fail to make it as far as the kitchen! Thaw out a few Birds Eye peas
(remember the "sweet as the moment when the pod went pop" jingle?) and
try them "raw". Absolutely no comparison. Mind you, having suffered
blanching, freezing and thawing even home grown peas don't taste like
fresh picked ones (though they taste better than thawed out shop
bought stuff).

Jake
Old 09-01-2011, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

kay wrote:
Purple sprouting is brilliant, tastes very different to anything you can
buy. And radishes.

Never liked radishes. Purple sprouting broccoli is good, but tbh, I'm happy
with calabrese. Good shop bought doesn't seem any better than homegrown to
me, it's just the availability I'm after.

But fruit growing is more forgiving, especially things like apples where
you have quite a good window for picking, especially the later ripening
varieties.

See, fresh picked apples are just about the best thing going for growing
your own! And strawberries. Anything else I don't get much extra from my
own stuff, but freshly picked apples have totally spoilt me for shop bought
forever.