Old 25-01-2011, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default old philadelphus

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes
I think mine was Virginal too.

Can I ask you about Dalmatians?
When I was a child my friend's mother had a nice bitch which she decided
have one litter from.
She used a dog called (IIRC) Ch Kurnool Echelon, a liver dog. Have you
heard of him?
I'm a whippet person myself, I showed and bred and am researching a 16
generation pedigree from my first beloved one.
I've got quite lot completed.

Tina

That's Mrs Macdonald-Smith isn't it?

Not sure, I was only about 12, but I think they mentioned Wing Commander
Gore (?) or a similar name as the owner of the dog.
The bitch was black spotted and all 9 puppies were too. They were born by
caesarean and when she woke up and saw the pups she immediately bit part of
the ear off the only patched one.
She became a good mother after that and I have fond memories of spending the
summer holidays round there playing with the puppies - heaven for a
dog-loving child who was not allowed one of her own.

Strangely enough a lot of the older breeders used to have Dalmatians and
whippets, Olbero, and tantivvey and Illyricum kennels come to mind!

I didn't know that! Tantivvey was in the bitch's pedigree. Looking back
with more knowledge than I had then, I think she was quite a nice one, not
pet quality. She was also obedient, would sit, stay, come to call but had a
different take on the "down" command. She would curl up into a ball with a
sigh like she was trying to fit herself into a very small bed ;-)
Tina

Old 29-01-2011, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , echinosum
writes
That is consistent with what I said. What I said is that it does not
flower on shoots that form (as opposed to extend) AFTER THE WINTER.

Ah, OK

In Ravensthorpe near Coton Manor there's a really good nursery, it has
some unusual shrubs etc. but it also has a wonderful garden attached.
Not large but some very interesting plants growing therein.
It has about 8 different philadelphus mature shrubs all different and
quite distinctive when viewed near to each other. Also some beautiful
peonies

Worth dropping in if ever you are travelling past

Quick look at Google - Postcode - NN6 8ES

Link to very small website
http://www.ravensthorpenursery.co.uk/page.php?10

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 22-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
[...]

+
Dear Tina and Janet,
My family Dally was a delight, Kurnool Rogue sire to Creskeld Simba(dob 25. 4. 1957) bred out of Dinah of Middleham by Mrs Crump, the Wife of the racehorse trainer Neville Crump. He came to us from Mrs L. Wakinshaw and before that Mr/Mrs Minton-Senhouse in County Durham. he was black and his spots were well-spaced and well defined with hardly any ""blotching"!Catherine Gore, wife of Air Commodore Gore wrote the v. interesting book on Dalmatians in the Foyles Handbook series. They bred the Duxfordham strain. There is a very attractive picture of Echelon facing p. 64 of their book. The caption reads "Twice Best of Breed at Crufts and runner-up for the Non-sporting Group.Owned and bred by Mrs Macdonald-Smith". Another most informative book is John WHOLEY and Gwen EADY/Dalmatians: An Owner's Companion. It has loads of wondrous pictures!
These two books will give you a good idea of the various kennels and strains.
Regards, Peter Th: