Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Snowdrops?

On the way back from Bournemouth where we had been for GAN yesterday.
We were on the outskirts of Bath there was a garden with a great show
of Snowdrops by the roadside the garden had a wall of about 3 ft
holding the garden in place, and in the border along the roadside they
had a couple of dozen "Snowdrops" about 9 inches tall, single stem
flowers, looking for all the world like normal snowdrops except the
flowers were almost twice the size of normal snowdrops, almost an inch
long. Impressive.
Any ideas?
David Hill
Old 10-02-2011, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Dave
Hill writes
On the way back from Bournemouth where we had been for GAN yesterday.
We were on the outskirts of Bath there was a garden with a great show
of Snowdrops by the roadside the garden had a wall of about 3 ft
holding the garden in place, and in the border along the roadside they
had a couple of dozen "Snowdrops" about 9 inches tall, single stem
flowers, looking for all the world like normal snowdrops except the
flowers were almost twice the size of normal snowdrops, almost an inch
long. Impressive.
Any ideas?
David Hill

http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/mis...nthusorder.htm

It might be Galanthus 'Lynn' or Galanhus 'Colossus', or one of the other
larger snowdrops. (If I understand correctly Galanthus 'Atkinsii' is the
commonest of the larger snowdrops.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-02-2011, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 01:59:12 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

On the way back from Bournemouth where we had been for GAN yesterday.
We were on the outskirts of Bath there was a garden with a great show
of Snowdrops by the roadside the garden had a wall of about 3 ft
holding the garden in place, and in the border along the roadside they
had a couple of dozen "Snowdrops" about 9 inches tall, single stem
flowers, looking for all the world like normal snowdrops except the
flowers were almost twice the size of normal snowdrops, almost an inch
long. Impressive.
Any ideas?
David Hill

My neighbour has some but they look really fake. He's really into xmas
lights and led solars so it wouldn't surprise me to find out they are.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On the way back from Bournemouth where we had been for GAN yesterday.
We were on the outskirts of Bath there was a garden with a great show
of Snowdrops by the roadside the garden had a wall of about 3 ft
holding the garden in place, and in the border along the roadside they
had a couple of dozen "Snowdrops" about 9 inches tall, single stem
flowers, looking for all the world like normal snowdrops except the
flowers were almost twice the size of normal snowdrops, almost an inch
long. Impressive.
Any ideas?
David Hill

Hi Dave, Can you tell me what road you were on and what area near
Bath? Just curious.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-02-2011, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
On the way back from Bournemouth where we had been for GAN yesterday.
We were on the outskirts of Bath there was a garden with a great show
of Snowdrops by the roadside the garden had a wall of about 3 ft
holding the garden in place, and in the border along the roadside they
had a couple of dozen "Snowdrops" about 9 inches tall, single stem
flowers, looking for all the world like normal snowdrops except the
flowers were almost twice the size of normal snowdrops, almost an inch
long. Impressive.
Any ideas?
David Hill

Hi Dave, Can you tell me what road you were on and what area near
Bath? Just curious.

Pam in Bristol

Thanks for the link for Broadleigh Gardens
http://www.broadleighbulbs.co.uk/mis...nthusorder.htm
I've put an order in to them.

Pam You asked what road I was on, I am sure it was the A4 a couple of
miles before there is a T junction with trafic lights and Left is into
Bath and right to Bristol, they were on the left as we were heading
for Bath, (you can't miss it, it was where we were passed by 2 fire
engines and a fire service land rover towing an inflatable) Trafic was
slow to stationary so judging distance isn't so easy.
David

when's the latest for (re-)planting 'snowdrops in the green'? dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 01-04-2003 05:56 PM
Snowdrops on display Pam Moore United Kingdom 2 18-02-2003 03:43 PM
Snowdrops Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:06 AM
Snowdrops Cavalier United Kingdom 21 05-02-2003 12:57 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM