Old 18-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Registered User

Smile slug and snail deterent

Hi, i have spent over a year developing a simple plastic ring that stops slugs and snail eating plants in pots, you can cut out the base of the pot and plant the whole thing out to give protection.please have a look at my website, Keep It Simple Sussex and if you get time ,let me know what you think of my invention plz.. many thanks.. spinksy
Old 19-02-2011, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default slug and snail deterent

On 18/02/2011 21:11, spinksy wrote:
Hi, i have spent over a year developing a simple plastic ring that stops
slugs and snail eating plants in pots, you can cut out the base of the
pot and plant the whole thing out to give protection.please have a look
at my website, 'Keep It Simple Sussex'
(http://www.keepitsimplesussex.co.uk) and if you get time ,let me know
what you think of my invention plz.. many thanks.. spinksy

I have never found sharp objects on the level to be much of a deterrent.
Possibly having them overhead, as in the illustration, would help.
Out of interest, what stops the ring sliding down the pot? Is it a
friction fit?
Old 19-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart noble View Post
On 18/02/2011 21:11, spinksy wrote:
Hi, i have spent over a year developing a simple plastic ring that stops
slugs and snail eating plants in pots, you can cut out the base of the
pot and plant the whole thing out to give protection.please have a look
at my website, 'Keep It Simple Sussex'
(Keep It Simple Sussex) and if you get time ,let me know
what you think of my invention plz.. many thanks.. spinksy

I have never found sharp objects on the level to be much of a deterrent.
Possibly having them overhead, as in the illustration, would help.
Out of interest, what stops the ring sliding down the pot? Is it a
friction fit?
hi, thanks for your comments,the ring fits tight around the rim of a 13cm lightweight pot tightly. however they will come with three small self adhesive pyramid type stickers that will ensure it stays at the rim, also allowing them to be removed easily for use on another pot.the lightweight pots are easy to cut the bottom out of with scissors, so the plant,ring and pot can be planted out in the garden to grow on.i have tested the product and sadly any slugs or snails that pertsist to pass over the cone shaped protrusions, soon die from their injuries. i really wanted a chemical free alternative to detering the pests and this one works.the reason i suggest the rings go on upside down, is to make it almost impossible for the slugs and snails to get a grip on the rim plate without serious injury to themselves. i hope this answers your questions, but please feel free to ask anything you like.. many thanks,,, spinksy.
Old 19-02-2011, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , spinksy
wrote

snip

What size of slug/snail was this tested on?

Very soon we will be having slugs of a few millimeters crawling up pots.

What about copper plating the rings?

--
Alan
Old 20-02-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered User

Smile

hi alan, i tested it on slugs that were from 6mm in length and longer,the two rows of cones are made in such a way,that the slugs will pass over at least one of the cones, which pierces their under side and shortly afterwards they die.i have spoken to many gardeners about the copper rings and most of them say they are not always effective. thats what prompted myself to develope my ring. i dont think anyone can guarantee a 100% effective solution, especially with tiny slugs ans snails you describe, but for a a cheaper price than the copper rings, my solution is very effective and once i get feedback from users, i can produce them in any colour to suit, making them more attractive. thank you for taking the time to ask your question.. please feel free to ask anything,, regatds. spinksy

Old 20-02-2011, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2011 08:37, spinksy wrote:
Alan;913243 Wrote:
[...]

Are the undersides of slugs different from snails? I have seen photos
of snails crawling over cut-throat razors without problem, and as they
crawl over (and eat!) several of my cacti without caring about the
spines, they must be pretty resistant to getting punctured. I thought a
slug was, more-or-less, a snail without a shell, so why do your cones
puncture slugs mantles when cacti spines don't touch snails' mantles?

--

Jeff
Old 20-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
Alan;913243 Wrote:
[...]

hi jeff, thank you for your question,because the cones point downwards and in two rows around the circumference of the rim plate, it gives a minute surface area for snails to tack onto. to get a hold onto the cones, upside down, they would have to excert their underside over the points of the cones, causing injury, that is if they can tack onto them. in my tests, snails give up after attempting to pass over the first row of cones. the rows of cones are only a few millimeters apart, so its virtually impossible for the snails to pass over the upside down ring. i hope this answers your question. feel free to ask me anything else.. regards spinksy
Old 23-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksy View Post
Hi, i have spent over a year developing a simple plastic ring that stops slugs and snail eating plants in pots, you can cut out the base of the pot and plant the whole thing out to give protection.please have a look at my website, Keep It Simple Sussex and if you get time ,let me know what you think of my invention plz.. many thanks.. spinksy
thank you to all the people that looked at my invention and to the kind people that took the time to ask questions....many thanks
Old 27-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksy View Post
Hi, i have spent over a year developing a simple plastic ring that stops slugs and snail eating plants in pots, you can cut out the base of the pot and plant the whole thing out to give protection.please have a look at my website, Keep It Simple Sussex and if you get time ,let me know what you think of my invention plz.. many thanks.. spinksy
Hi To all that have viwed my new product,, after reading feedback, i found a very small problem, which was, the ring fits tightly to a 13cm pot, however,if more than one large size slug attempted to cling to it, the ring moved down from the top of the pot rim,one of my customers made myself aware of this, so i drove to her house and fixed the problem, by making two very small holes on the pot and fitting two simple split pins,, this was the solution,very effective, so i will now provide said split pin with all orders at no extra cost. many thanks to all who contributed towards my post.. regards.. stephen spink, aka spinksy
Old 28-02-2011, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/02/2011 15:28, spinksy wrote:
spinksy;913147 Wrote:
[...]

My original thought was that, even discounting the weight of marauding
slugs, you would always have trouble maintaining a tight fit on a
tapering pot, and I don't know whether the average gardener would be
prepared to drill holes to take split pins.
Assuming you are having these manufactured, I wonder how much extra it
would cost to produce the whole pot with the deterrent built in as part
of the mould.
Basically, I think it's a bloody good idea by the way.

Old 28-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Registered User

spinksy;913147 Wrote:
[...]

hi stuart, thank you for your question, the slug rings will be ready to go if you buy the rings and pots together from the site, the rings sold separately will come with two pins, that by making a very small hole on opposite sides of the pots with a bradle, or any pointed object will do the trick. its more difficult if one is using clay pots, but i wont reccomend clay pots, because i agree with you, its not reasonable to expect people to drill hloes in clay pots, however, they can hold them in place with tape or an elastic band or two. like i just mentioned, i will fit the rings on to the pots if one buys them from us and they will be ready to go, all that for no extra charge. thank you for saying its a bloody good idea, it encourages myself. many thanks,, steve spink. aka spinksy..
Old 28-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Registered User

[...]
sorry forgot,,the idea of an all in one pot is in the pipeline,,, many thanks stuart.. spinksy
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksy View Post
hi jeff, thank you for your question,because the cones point downwards and in two rows around the circumference of the rim plate, it gives a minute surface area for snails to tack onto. to get a hold onto the cones, upside down, they would have to excert their underside over the points of the cones, causing injury, that is if they can tack onto them. in my tests, snails give up after attempting to pass over the first row of cones. the rows of cones are only a few millimeters apart, so its virtually impossible for the snails to pass over the upside down ring. i hope this answers your question. feel free to ask me anything else.. regards spinksy
hi jeff, i saw the video on you tube where the snail climbs over the blade to get to the beer,, i will make a video of my idea and will put that on you tube soon,, many thanks.. spinksy
Old 12-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinksy View Post
Hi, i have spent over a year developing a simple plastic ring that stops slugs and snail eating plants in pots, you can cut out the base of the pot and plant the whole thing out to give protection.please have a look at my website, Keep It Simple Sussex and if you get time ,let me know what you think of my invention plz.. many thanks.. spinksy
has anyone seen any slugs or snails about anywhere yet? plz let me know and what location ,, many thanks... spinksy
Old 12-03-2011, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 11:55:25 +0000, spinksy
wrote:

spinksy;913147 Wrote:
Hi, i have spent over a year developing a simple plastic ring that stops
slugs and snail eating plants in pots, you can cut out the base of the
pot and plant the whole thing out to give protection.please have a look
at my website, 'Keep It Simple Sussex'
(http://www.keepitsimplesussex.co.uk) and if you get time ,let me know
what you think of my invention plz.. many thanks.. spinksy

has anyone seen any slugs or snails about anywhere yet? plz let me know
and what location ,, many thanks... spinksy

Been dealing with slugs for a couple of weeks here in central South
Wales. First snails appeared earlier this week. I have a reliable late
night slug despatch method which involves a small bucket of heavily
salted water and a can of lager (has to be a can as glasses are
difficult to hold at the same time as the bucket handle). Waiting for
the prickly despatch method to arrive - they're late this year.
Thrushes take care of the snails.