Old 20-02-2011, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Are we chitting?

Only earlies?

I am chitting all my earlies this year. Takes up some more space on the
'cill but I think it works to get a few spuds a few days earlier, but if
not I feel better for it all the same.

Baz
Old 20-02-2011, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2011 14:20, Baz wrote:
Only earlies?

I am chitting all my earlies this year. Takes up some more space on the
'cill but I think it works to get a few spuds a few days earlier, but if
not I feel better for it all the same.

Baz

Well, I certainly am. I may only grow a few this year, but chitting has
always worked for me. I've just got a few International Kidney atm. I
wanted some Dunluce, which T&M sell, but don't like their split-company
procedure. I don't mind if they grow my plants in different places, or
that they arrive at different times, but I *do* mind if I can't order
them or pay for them in one go. It makes me spit cobwebs! They should
have a parent company which deals with accounts procedures separately.
If they want to split the money up, they should do it internally, not
inflict it on their customers.

Sorry to divert *and* rant in your thread :~(. Scuttles back under stone.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 20-02-2011, 05:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Only earlies?

I am chitting all my earlies this year. Takes up some more space on the
'cill but I think it works to get a few spuds a few days earlier, but if
not I feel better for it all the same.

Baz
You can't plant them out yet, they will chit anyway, and it's better than leaving them in the little net bag (if they are in one) and having to disentangle then later.
__________________
Old 20-02-2011, 06:22 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Only earlies?

I am chitting all my earlies this year. Takes up some more space on the
'cill but I think it works to get a few spuds a few days earlier, but if
not I feel better for it all the same.

Baz
Yeah, you gotta get them out of the net bag anyway so why not chit them? Mine are laid out in the 30 egg trays as always and will be planted under plastic tunnel cloches on the 15th March as I always do if the soil is dry enough!
__________________
Nick

http://otherfellow.co.uk

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later"
Og Mandino
Old 21-02-2011, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

OtherFellow wrote in
:

Yeah, you gotta get them out of the net bag anyway so why not chit them?
Mine are laid out in the 30 egg trays as always and will be planted
under plastic tunnel cloches on the 15th March as I always do if the
soil is dry enough!

I bought a plastic tunnel the other day on impulse. I would only get 10
seed potatoes under it but its a start.
Do you get a much earlier harvest? I would like to know, I am always on the
lookout for ways to get earlier summer crops.

Baz

Old 21-02-2011, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
I bought a plastic tunnel the other day on impulse. I would only get 10
seed potatoes under it but its a start.
Do you get a much earlier harvest? I would like to know, I am always on the
lookout for ways to get earlier summer crops.

I don't think we've tried potatoes under plastic, but I guess it would
protect against unexpected late frost, which can kill off the top growth if
you've not been soiling them up enough. Some of ours got zapped by frost
last year.

We use fleece to cover our brassicas to keep off pests, but they never work
cos the damned things just rip when it gets windy. Nick does keep trying,
though!

Old 21-02-2011, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Baz wrote:
I bought a plastic tunnel the other day on impulse. I would only get 10
seed potatoes under it but its a start.
Do you get a much earlier harvest? I would like to know, I am always on
the
lookout for ways to get earlier summer crops.

I don't think we've tried potatoes under plastic, but I guess it would
protect against unexpected late frost, which can kill off the top growth
if
you've not been soiling them up enough. Some of ours got zapped by frost
last year.

We bought a house in Leicester with a big chunk of land overgrown with
everything. We hacked it down and ran the Atco Rotosythe over it to 'ground
level' then spread compost in rows about 2 feet wide about 6 feet apart.
Laid out black plastic about 3 feet wide right across the 'field' and cut
crosses in the plastic every 2 - 3 feet and shoved a spud through the cross
into the compost.

Secured the edges of the plastic so the wind couldn't get under and waited.
'Picked' the potatoes as they grew by lifting the plastic.

Later when they were really ready for cropping, rolled the plastic back and
collected the spuds in a wheelbarrow. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to many for us so
gave them away by the sack load to the neighbours. :-)) Always keep your
neighbours sweet, you have to live with them :-))

Spuds under plastic? Highly recommended.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 21-02-2011, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

wrote in message
Baz wrote:
[...]

Nice.
How did you water them?

Baz
Old 21-02-2011, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
Later when they were really ready for cropping, rolled the plastic back and
collected the spuds in a wheelbarrow. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to many for us so
gave them away by the sack load to the neighbours. :-)) Always keep your
neighbours sweet, you have to live with them :-))

Spuds under plastic? Highly recommended.

Sounds similar to how we grew our sweet potatoes last year.
Old 21-02-2011, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

wrote in message
Baz wrote:
[...]

We didn't!!

Honestly forgotten as to what sort of summer we had, but it always felt warm
and damp under there. I seem to remember slugs were a bit of a problem :-((

What was the summer of 1969 like? That was the year we did the spuds. 1970
we just made it respectable and had horses grazing and 1971 got planning
permission and there are now two blocks each with six apartments in them. No
more spuds

Old 21-02-2011, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
Later when they were really ready for cropping, rolled the plastic back
and
collected the spuds in a wheelbarrow. Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar to many for us so
gave them away by the sack load to the neighbours. :-)) Always keep your
neighbours sweet, you have to live with them :-))

Spuds under plastic? Highly recommended.

Sounds similar to how we grew our sweet potatoes last year.

Successful? Would you do it again?

Old 21-02-2011, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Nice.
How did you water them?

Baz

We didn't!!

Honestly forgotten as to what sort of summer we had, but it always
felt warm and damp under there. I seem to remember slugs were a bit of
a problem :-((

What was the summer of 1969 like? That was the year we did the spuds.
1970 we just made it respectable and had horses grazing and 1971 got
planning permission and there are now two blocks each with six
apartments in them. No more spuds

Mike

I am definatly going to do it. I can't see how they get their water though.

So far thats 10 under a tunnell and 10 under plastic to try this year.
Not long now 'till we get cracking.

Baz
Old 21-02-2011, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

Nice.
How did you water them?

Baz

We didn't!!

Honestly forgotten as to what sort of summer we had, but it always
felt warm and damp under there. I seem to remember slugs were a bit of
a problem :-((

What was the summer of 1969 like? That was the year we did the spuds.
1970 we just made it respectable and had horses grazing and 1971 got
planning permission and there are now two blocks each with six
apartments in them. No more spuds

Mike

I am definatly going to do it. I can't see how they get their water
though.

So far thats 10 under a tunnell and 10 under plastic to try this year.
Not long now 'till we get cracking.

Baz

Too late now, but when we came back to the Isle of Wight, we had a big house
out in the country and we had a couple of 20ft x 10 ft poly tunnels and for
years, we planted our very early spuds on ............... Boxing Day ;-) No
heating, but we are in a warm area ;-)

Poly tunnels then planted with Toms. Some Ring culture some in the ground.
Also did Lettuce, Cukes, etc.

Runner Beans and Onions outside.

Also had a HUGE Bramley Apple tree. The house was built in 1844 and I guess
the Bramley was one of the first things they planted ;-)

Superb house, superb views. Would still be there now if Maggie Thatcher
hadn't wrecked the UK Manufacturing business. :-((((((((((
Did more harm to this country than Hitler ever did.

Make

Old 22-02-2011, 01:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
Spuds under plastic? Highly recommended.

Sounds similar to how we grew our sweet potatoes last year.

Successful? Would you do it again?

Probably, if we have a spare chunk to do them on. Our sweet potatoes last
year were a lot better than they have been the previous few years.
Old 22-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
I bought a plastic tunnel the other day on impulse. I would only get 10
seed potatoes under it but its a start.
Do you get a much earlier harvest? I would like to know, I am always on the
lookout for ways to get earlier summer crops.

Baz
It's a good impulse. I've been growing my earlies under these for over 30 years now. I get early spuds around three weeks before anyone else here, and a good crop too.

I get my tunnels in Lidl, they're about £2.99 for a 5 metre one and I get around 15 earlies under it. I mulch very well with manure and they hardly ever require watering.

WTG.

Chitting The Reid United Kingdom 3 09-04-2003 10:08 AM
Chitting potatotes - a problem? Glenda Young United Kingdom 3 22-03-2003 07:32 PM
spud chitting Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 1 24-02-2003 07:00 PM
spud chitting Anne Middleton/Harold Walker Gardening 1 24-02-2003 09:15 AM
Potato chitting H United Kingdom 3 11-02-2003 09:02 AM