Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sowing parsnips

When my German friend visited me, she tasted parsnips for the first time and
loved them. They seem to be unusual on the continent for some reason.
I sent her a packet of seed a couple or three years ago and she grew them
very successfully - the soil where she lives is perfect for them, it's
almost like sand. So I sent her some more in her birthday parcel (Sept) and
she told me a month or so ago that when the snow had gone, briefly, and the
temp was up to a tropical 3C, she'd sown a row or two.

I said I thought it was far too early and now (what a surprise!) the temp is
down to -10C again there.
What are the chances of those seeds surviving and germinating? I know
parsnips can be difficult germinators (is that a word?) at the best of
times.
I have no experience to offer her, root veggies hate my quite heavy clay
soil and as I don't particularly like parsnips I never tried to grow them
anyway ;-)
My friend is a vegetarian so having a new veg to eat is a good thing.
In short what I'm asking is what are the optimum conditions for sowing
parsnips, bearing in mind they are not the easiest: and did poor Nüle, in
her enthusiasm for the root veg she had never tasted and now loves, condemn
the seeds to death by planting them too early in the German climate?
The trouble with Germany is, I thought their climate was similar to ours.
Well, sort of - but when it's summer it's hot and remains the same for
ges - I went in August and nearly fried - 30C at 9.30 a.m! Winter is the
same - it snows big time and remains for weeks at -15c.
I'm visiting in May this year ;-) not just for the easier temperature for a
Brit but to do some birdwatching and hear the thrush nightingales sing - she
is just on the furthest range where they can be heard.
I nearly saw a black redstart there last time - I saw it's tail disappearing
into a bush..

Any parsnip thoughts welcome.

Tina

Old 05-03-2011, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 22:03:23 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

I've got to talk previous years as the veg patch is no more this year.
On the one hand, parsnips need a long growing period but on the other
they need a bit of warmth to germinate. I'd guess that early Feb (or
even January) is probably a bit too early but it's not uncommon for
parsnips to take weeks to germinate.

My method is (was):

1) get a little seed tray thing without holes in the bottom (I think
they're called gravel trays) .
2) lay 2-3 sheets of kitchen roll in the bottom and moisten them (just
damp)
3) spread the seeds over the kitchen roll
4) lay another sheet of damp kitchen roll over the top
5) seal the tray in a plastic bag
6) put in airing cupboard
7) when seeds germinate in about 2-3 weeks, get them in the ground

Someone told me that they also used this method but put the packet of
seeds in the fridge for a week beforehand. I've never done the fridge
thing but they said they achieved far better germination rates when
they fridged than when they didn't.

Jake
Old 06-03-2011, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

Have you, Tina, or your German friend heard of germinating them in toilet
roll cardboard tubes? It really does work. It's a bit faffy filling them
with soil and compost but I have found it perfect.
If you cut the cardboard tubes half to make 2 tubes, fill them with soil
and compost mix then dib a little hole to sow 2 seeds and cover with
compost, keep them indoors until they germinate. You will with any luck
have 2 seedlings in each tube, and very quick too. Keep the strongest one
in each tube.
In March or April use a bulb planter to plant the seedlings,tube and all
at 6" apart you will have a bed which does not need thinning, just let
them grow 'till they are at the size you require but are best left untill
a few frosts have been had.
BTW don't use all compost as they may 'fork' (have more than one root),
it is best to use 50/50 with soil.
I have used this method with swede too with perfect results and this year
I will try a few carrots.
It all sounds a bit faffy, I know, but really it isn't. It IS I have
found more reliable and low maintenance. I have had very few weeds too.

I hope this helps you and your friend.
Baz

Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

I've got to talk previous years as the veg patch is no more this year.

Jake

What? have you given up, Jake?
Lost interest?

Baz

Old 06-03-2011, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 12:43:50 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

I've got to talk previous years as the veg patch is no more this year.

Jake

What? have you given up, Jake?
Lost interest?

Baz

Hi Baz

I wrote in a post some time ago that the veg patch was going this
year. The reason is that because there's a high embankment next door,
heavy rain meant waterlogging and after a couple of really wet summers
I have given up. I don't want to dig up anywhere else in the garden so
I'm helping out a friend who has managed to get an allotment and will
be getting supplies of fresh veg in return.

Cheers

Jake

Old 06-03-2011, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in news:2nf7n61lrjub3m35p14drqu8kukdhqn7l5@
4ax.com:

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 12:43:50 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
m:

I've got to talk previous years as the veg patch is no more this year.

Jake

What? have you given up, Jake?
Lost interest?

Baz

Hi Baz

I wrote in a post some time ago that the veg patch was going this
year. The reason is that because there's a high embankment next door,
heavy rain meant waterlogging and after a couple of really wet summers
I have given up. I don't want to dig up anywhere else in the garden so
I'm helping out a friend who has managed to get an allotment and will
be getting supplies of fresh veg in return.

Cheers

Jake

Yes, Jake and I remember but I forgot who wrote it, sorry(embarrasing when
you forget names isn't it)

I think I replied something like 'it won't be forever, you will miss it and
I bet you do it again'.

Good luck with the allotment and best of best wishes.
Baz
Old 07-03-2011, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for those tips, Jake.
No airing cupboard there but I guess she's done more than the fridge thing
;-)
We'll have to wait and see - maybe when I get there there will be two rows
of very early sown parsnips up and running and I'll have to eat my words!

Tina

Old 07-03-2011, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

We'll have to wait and see - maybe when I get there there will be two
rows of very early sown parsnips up and running and I'll have to eat
my words!

Tina

Or a big big plate of parsnips if you are lucky.
Baz
Old 07-03-2011, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Any parsnip thoughts welcome.

Tina

Have you, Tina, or your German friend heard of germinating them in toilet
roll cardboard tubes?

I have, but she probably hasn't.

[...]

I'll definitely tell her about this method, it had slipped my mind.
She may not have the time though, as she is a qualified doctor, is
renovating a old farmhouse with 4 acres, breeds "old-fashioned" bulldogs -
the ones with straight legs, a longer nose so they can breathe, and are
self-whelping i.e. do not need a caesarian plus she speaks 4 languages and
occasionally makes herself useful as an interpreter.
I guess rushing out to plant some seeds when she had a bit of time and the
temperature was above freezing is typical of a non-educated German that
knows she has a whole packet and can always ask me to send another ;-))

Tina

Old 07-03-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I'll definitely tell her about this method, it had slipped my mind.
She may not have the time though, as she is a qualified doctor, is
renovating a old farmhouse with 4 acres, breeds "old-fashioned"
bulldogs - the ones with straight legs, a longer nose so they can
breathe, and are self-whelping i.e. do not need a caesarian plus she
speaks 4 languages and occasionally makes herself useful as an
interpreter. I guess rushing out to plant some seeds when she had a
bit of time and the temperature was above freezing is typical of a
non-educated German that knows she has a whole packet and can always
ask me to send another ;-))

Tina

That non-educated bit has me confused(not difficult) even after reading a
few times!
Even so as you say, you can always send another packet.
Have you tried roasted parsnip then grilled with Stilton on top? Absolutely
fantastic. If you havn't you must. The parsnips must be roasted 'till soft
and the cheese must be nice and runny and browned in places after grilling
on top of the parsnip.

Baz

Old 07-03-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

I'll definitely tell her about this method, it had slipped my mind.
She may not have the time though, as she is a qualified doctor, is
renovating a old farmhouse with 4 acres, breeds "old-fashioned"
bulldogs - the ones with straight legs, a longer nose so they can
breathe, and are self-whelping i.e. do not need a caesarian plus she
speaks 4 languages and occasionally makes herself useful as an
interpreter. I guess rushing out to plant some seeds when she had a
bit of time and the temperature was above freezing is typical of a
non-educated German that knows she has a whole packet and can always
ask me to send another ;-))

Tina

That non-educated bit has me confused(not difficult) even after reading a
few times!

Read harry's post in this thread.

"what
drivel. Of course they have parsnips in Germany. Der Pastinak.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastinak
Your friend is just not well educated.
I have seen parsnip often in Germany and often obst und gemuse not
commonly seen here.
Contrary to common opinion in this country all German are not super
human/super educated.
But I'm sure she has a lovely nature. :-)

Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

All of harry's info came from wikipedia? THE most reliable source of junk.
What a dipstick, ignore, or better still filter the w****r.

Baz

Old 07-03-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

I hope she does not read this.
This is a woman I met on a poultry group and when my mother was found dead
in 03 she came over to help me. I said no, but she came anyway. On a coach
from Germany as she is afraid of flying.
So yes, I guess we can say she has a lovely nature.

Tina

Old 07-03-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

[...]

I'm reluctant to do it as he was so good with his grass snakes.
Tina

Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Parsnips shazzbat United Kingdom 5 26-02-2004 08:55 PM
Bitter Parsnips Charles Drown United Kingdom 22 13-02-2004 02:51 PM
pixie lilies and parsnips shannie United Kingdom 2 22-07-2003 04:11 AM
pixie lilies and parsnips shannie United Kingdom 0 21-07-2003 02:55 AM