Old 30-03-2011, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
prb prb is offline

Default In praise of Hozelock

Last year I bought a Hozelock automatic watering timer. Sometime during
the winter I lost the control knob off the front, I think it got knocked
off and shovelled up in the snow.
Last week I e-mailed Hozelock, more in hope than expectation, to see if
they could supply a new one. I received a reply the next day and the
new knob arrived this morning. Free of charge! How's that for excellent
service in these days of overcharging. I have no connection with the
company, full marks to them!
Old 30-03-2011, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"prb" wrote in message
om...

Last year I bought a Hozelock automatic watering timer. Sometime during
the winter I lost the control knob off the front, I think it got knocked
off and shovelled up in the snow.
Last week I e-mailed Hozelock, more in hope than expectation, to see if
they could supply a new one. I received a reply the next day and the
new knob arrived this morning. Free of charge! How's that for excellent
service in these days of overcharging. I have no connection with the
company, full marks to them!

A couple of years ago, our local B&Q had a 3 metre x 9 metre Gazebo for sale
'cheap'. I already had a 3 metre x 6 metre, but I wanted a bigger one for
the Ex Service Association interest I have.. 9 x 3 cheap because it had one
of its plastic joint sections broken. Contacted the manufacturers, told them
which bit I needed. "How much? A really silly cheap price + postage. They
sent it with an invoice without postage added!!

Yes some companies bend over backwards to help you.

The 3 x 9 at last year's H.M.S.Collingwood Open Day
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=WFNEFS7L

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 30-03-2011, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-30 12:41:57 +0100, prb said:

Last year I bought a Hozelock automatic watering timer. Sometime during
the winter I lost the control knob off the front, I think it got knocked
off and shovelled up in the snow.
Last week I e-mailed Hozelock, more in hope than expectation, to see if
they could supply a new one. I received a reply the next day and the
new knob arrived this morning. Free of charge! How's that for excellent
service in these days of overcharging. I have no connection with the
company, full marks to them!

I have had a similar experience with them. I think it must be something
to do with being British... There aren't too many British firms left
which actually make things but they seem to have found the way to do
it. George Osborne wants a "March of the Makers" to turn the country
around... he could do worse than ask Hozelock for the formula. They
were last year's UK manufacturer of the year...

Old 30-03-2011, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-03-30 12:41:57 +0100, prb said:

[...]

I could not agree more. They have a variety of products every single
one of which just works as intended. I have never, ever, been
disappointed in anything they made.

I'd also like to nominate Dimplex. I bought a heater and lost the
terminal box cover. Entirely my own fault. Rang them up to see if
they could sell me one as a spare part, and the chap who answered the
phone very efficiently took all the part and serial numbers, then said
"We won't have any in stock for about 3 weeks. But the different
number model seems to have the same lid. I'll send you one of those,
and if it doesn't fit, send it back to me.". It fitted. I called
back and asked what I owed, and he said "call it two quid with the
postage. Any time will do". I sent him the money within the hour.
Old 30-03-2011, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
,
bobharvey writes
On 2011-03-30 12:41:57 +0100, prb said:

[...]

I was rather disappointed in the two (different ) Hozelock water timers,
that both failed after a couple of years each. And the rather nice
looking spray gun. It had a nice brass body (better than the plastic
one) but the trigger etc. was plastic and broke
--
Chris French

Old 30-03-2011, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 14:01:58 -0700 (PDT), bobharvey
wrote:
[...]

I'd also like to nominate Dimplex. I bought a heater and lost the
terminal box cover. Entirely my own fault. Rang them up to see if
they could sell me one as a spare part, and the chap who answered the
phone very efficiently took all the part and serial numbers, then said
"We won't have any in stock for about 3 weeks. But the different
number model seems to have the same lid. I'll send you one of those,
and if it doesn't fit, send it back to me.". It fitted. I called
back and asked what I owed, and he said "call it two quid with the
postage. Any time will do". I sent him the money within the hour.

Dimplex are amazing. Some thirty years ago I bought one of their towel
rails at a jumble sale, only to find some connecty bit was missing. I
wrote asking them if they could sell me the part, and their response
was to send me a whole new towel rail, free of charge. Even if it was
an obsolete model (which it may have been), that's generous.

--
Mike.