Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Babysit a dog?

We have been looking after a dog over the last few days.
It was a last minute thing after the owner was hospitalised.

What a pleasure it has been to have this lad. We have been walking with him
and have had so much real 'time' together, we have even been out in the
countryside looking in ponds etc. (we never do that these days)

We have had NO cats in the garden fouling the freshly dug soil, that is
what I meant to say first.

It's going to be a wrench letting him go home.

Baz
Old 02-04-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
We have been looking after a dog over the last few days.
It was a last minute thing after the owner was hospitalised.

What a pleasure it has been to have this lad. We have been walking with
him
and have had so much real 'time' together, we have even been out in the
countryside looking in ponds etc. (we never do that these days)

We have had NO cats in the garden fouling the freshly dug soil, that is
what I meant to say first.

It's going to be a wrench letting him go home.

Baz

Have you considered having a dog of your own which isn't a dog of your own?

We have trained many Guide Dogs in their 'early years'

http://www.guidedogs.org.uk/whatwedo.../puppywalking/

A very worthwhile pleasure.

No you don't get attached to the dog because you know that it is not yours,
but you are doing something very important.

We also 'Collected Silver Paper' and donated a Guide Dog. we have a lovely
little memento of this in the form of a Silver Guide Dog in harness on a
plinth.

:-))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 02-04-2011, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-02 15:19:52 +0100, Baz said:

We have been looking after a dog over the last few days.
It was a last minute thing after the owner was hospitalised.

What a pleasure it has been to have this lad. We have been walking with him
and have had so much real 'time' together, we have even been out in the
countryside looking in ponds etc. (we never do that these days)

If you would enjoy further spells of temporary dog company, why not put word around?
There are many, many dog owners who would much rather park their dog with a trusted doglover,
than in kennels .. for an afternoon, a whole day, a weekend etc. We do a lot of dog-sitting
(company for our own dog) and we also, have a dogless older couple nearby who are very eager to host our own dog
as often as possible. Of course they treat her like a princess so she can't wait to be invited.

I've often thought hiring "timeshare" dogs would be a great little business :-)

Janet
Old 02-04-2011, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote ...

Baz said:

[...]

I know a couple of ladies that make their pensions stretch a long way by
walking dogs and boarding dogs whilst their owners are away. As you say, a
lot of people would rather have a trusted person looking after their dog in
their own home, one to one 24/7, than put it behind bars in a kennels with
lots of others. The ladies concerned really do know about dogs too.
From what I've seen the dogs can't wait for their owners to go on holiday
too. :-)
Mind you, seeing what some leave behind as food for a fortnight it's not
surprising the poor things enjoy their holidays, they get a couple of weeks
of proper food before they return to the same dry biscuits for every meal.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-04-2011, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-02 15:19:52 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

My Lab goes into kennels when we go away for a few days. Even though the
kennels are where he was born and bred and the owner thinks the world of him
(he was one of her's), He can't wait to get home when I call to pick him up
at the end of our few days away.

Bill

Old 02-04-2011, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2011-04-02 15:19:52 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

We have a good local kennels, our dog has stayed there and likes the
people. But it has to be booked well in advance, and from the dog POV
being penned (and walked on a lead twice daily) doesn't compare with the
neighbours' home comforts, two doting attendants, a large dogsafe garden
and off-lead walkies whenever she suggests :-)

Janet

Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 2 Apr 2011 20:08:58 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On 2011-04-02 15:19:52 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

I remember some years ago, when we had a dog, she was due to go into
kennels the day before we flew off on holiday. That morning she
developed a cough. The kennels were worried about it so I took her to
the vet. The vet diagnosed "kennel cough", prescribed tablets, charged
a bomb, and the kennels refused to take her as their quarantine area
was housing some unexpected puppies. Parents came to the rescue but
later that afternoon, she coughed up a large fur ball and was fine
thereafter. Vet refunded treatment money and I've recommended the
kennels ever since - it's good to know that they refuse business
because of risk to other dogs.

Jake
Old 02-04-2011, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-02 15:19:52 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

The exact thing happened to me a few years ago (I had two Labs then). The
lady whose kennels my dogs went to obviously couldn't accept my dogs due to
the kennel cough, but as I live only half a mile form the kennels, she came
to my own kennel daily to feed my two Labs and let them run in my fenced off
garden for some exercise. She wasn't prepared to let us miss our holiday-
she was brilliant.

Bill

Old 02-04-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 2, 3:19*pm, Baz wrote:
We have been looking after a dog over the last few days.

It's going to be a wrench letting him go home.

I'm not going to suggest you might not have thought of repeating the
experiment or might not have thought of permenantly rehoming one. But
I would put in a word for rescue dogs. We've had pedigree dogs from a
breeder and rescue dogs. I've had far better dogs as rescue dogs.
Our latest two were ex-strays, which have been hard work but are
tremendous little individuals. I like crossbreeds anyway.

Most people want puppies but there is a real need to find homes for
older dogs, either from dogs homes or from the rescue officers of
breed societies. Don't forget the older dog.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-02 15:19:52 +0100, Baz said:

We have been looking after a dog over the last few days.
It was a last minute thing after the owner was hospitalised.

What a pleasure it has been to have this lad. We have been walking
with him and have had so much real 'time' together, we have even been
out in the countryside looking in ponds etc. (we never do that these
days)

We have had NO cats in the garden fouling the freshly dug soil, that
is what I meant to say first.

It's going to be a wrench letting him go home.

Baz

Try a visit to your local dog re-homing centre... There are days when
I'd willingly 'lend' Oscar Underfoot, though!! ;-)

I know this seems stupid but we have fell in love with Rolf.
We have never had much contact with dogs since from our teens and he is
such a lovely bugger nothing else will do.
23.45 and just got home after a lovely evening walking and taking a bit of
fresh air and chatting. Not often do that!

Baz
Old 04-04-2011, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

Has he fathered any offspring?

Sacha,
Not yet, but when a suitable female can be found Ronnie (his owner) will
encourage him. I have been told that Rolf's parents have a pleasing nature
too so the breeding is in them hopefuly.
We have been feeding him wrong too, wrong food and too much! But it was
inexperience on our part.
Yesterday(Sunday) we took him to some unused iron ore quarries where it is
all nature and privately owned now but with permission we can go there. We
stayed there all day and Rolf was looking everywhere with his tail up and
using all his energy so I fed him some cooked chicken without bones and he
ate the lot. A bit later and he was using up his energy so he was fed his
can of meat. And so on until the thunder and lightning with lashing rain we
had here last night. I swear to you Sacha that he was scared shitless and
was shaking like a jelly and have only heard one bark from him but he made
sure we were ok. before he jumped into the back of the car. I swear that is
true. I could not beleive it.

Baz
Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
We have been looking after a dog over the last few days.
It was a last minute thing after the owner was hospitalised.

What a pleasure it has been to have this lad. We have been walking with
him
and have had so much real 'time' together, we have even been out in the
countryside looking in ponds etc. (we never do that these days)

We have had NO cats in the garden fouling the freshly dug soil, that is
what I meant to say first.

It's going to be a wrench letting him go home.

Baz

Lots of lovely dogs looking for new homes if you don't fancy the puppy
stage, dogs are not always an asset in the garden but we would never be
without one
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk

When we have finished being away on cruises.
When we have finished being away at weekends on ex Service reunions .......

We will go back to having a dog. A 'proper' dog, an Alsatian, not a 'Rat on
a lead'

Old 04-04-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-04 13:20:20 +0100, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in :

[...]

I can well believe it. Dogs are so devoted and ask so little in return,
so he did his duty by you before thinking of himself. And plenty are
really scared of the sound of thunder, guns, fireworks or even the crow
scarers. Poor chap. With ours, we find that chicken seems to be THE
gourmet delight for them. If we're having chicken Oscar and Bromley will
be circling around, hoping we'll weaken and believe they haven't been fed
for three weeks!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Too much chicken can cause skin problems , but if a dog is off colour ,
small meals ofchicken and rice can help can help recovery.

Bill