Old 03-04-2011, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fish loss

Just came back from a week's family visit to Scotland to find that every
single fish in our main pond (and there were loads) have all been
polished off by otters! I had heard that they were in the area and a
neighbour has reported seeing a family of 3 - possibly 4 - in their
garden. I don't know whether to be pleased or peeved. I suspect the
former!

They also wrecked the edges knocking stones in and generally messing the
pond well and truly up!

Ho Hum! Must try to get things sorted out before charity garden opening
time in June.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gopher" wrote...

Just came back from a week's family visit to Scotland to find that every
single fish in our main pond (and there were loads) have all been
polished off by otters! I had heard that they were in the area and a
neighbour has reported seeing a family of 3 - possibly 4 - in their
garden. I don't know whether to be pleased or peeved. I suspect the
former!

They also wrecked the edges knocking stones in and generally messing the
pond well and truly up!

Ho Hum! Must try to get things sorted out before charity garden opening
time in June.

That's a first! Congratulations. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 3, 11:14*pm, Gopher wrote:
Just came back from a week's family visit to Scotland to find that every
single fish in our main pond (and there were loads) have all been
polished off by otters! I had heard that they were in the area and a
neighbour has reported seeing a family of 3 - possibly 4 - in their
garden. I don't know whether to be pleased or peeved. I suspect the
former!

They also wrecked the edges knocking stones in and generally messing the
pond well and truly up!

Ho Hum! Must try to get things sorted out before charity garden opening
time in June.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Well at least they can be fenced out unlike herons.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 00:14:06 +0200, Gopher wrote:

Just came back from a week's family visit to Scotland to find that every
single fish in our main pond (and there were loads) have all been
polished off by otters! I had heard that they were in the area and a
neighbour has reported seeing a family of 3 - possibly 4 - in their
garden. I don't know whether to be pleased or peeved. I suspect the
former!

They also wrecked the edges knocking stones in and generally messing the
pond well and truly up!

Ho Hum! Must try to get things sorted out before charity garden opening
time in June.

Wow! I know that I would be very, very pleased and would undoubtedly buy
some (cheap as possible) replacement fish to encourage them to return but
I am a relatively committed wildlife gardener and not a keeper of exotic
species of fish.

--
rbel
Old 04-04-2011, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message op.vtewp1dljpmw0i@r-pc, rbel writes
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 00:14:06 +0200, Gopher wrote:

Just came back from a week's family visit to Scotland to find that
every single fish in our main pond (and there were loads) have all
been polished off by otters! I had heard that they were in the area
and a neighbour has reported seeing a family of 3 - possibly 4 - in
their garden. I don't know whether to be pleased or peeved. I
suspect the former!

They also wrecked the edges knocking stones in and generally messing
the pond well and truly up!

Ho Hum! Must try to get things sorted out before charity garden
opening time in June.

Wow! I know that I would be very, very pleased and would undoubtedly
buy some (cheap as possible) replacement fish to encourage them to
return but I am a relatively committed wildlife gardener and not a
keeper of exotic species of fish.

They were basically common goldfish in a variety of hues - many were
black as well as the more normal gold/mixed colours. What surprised me
is that there is no sign of a single fish although admittedly the black
ones are difficult to see when they're more than a couple of inches
below the surface. We have had regular visits from the heron - can
usually tell by the oil slick on the surface when he/she has been. Also
we used to get kingfishers regularly but no sign so far this year. Not
surprising really! Also many of the oxygenating weed appears to have
been ripped up and other water plants messed about. At least we're not
in the position of a friend at the other end of our N. Dorset village
who had all 29 of his large koi carp removed by otters during the period
of snow and frost.

I will replace the fish but it will be some time before they reach the
numbers that were there a couple of weeks ago. They had lived and bred
there for over 9 years.

I don't want to fence the place too much as it's adjacent to farmland on
three sides. Post and rail fences are in place to keep stock out
(although we've had the odd intruder) but I really prefer to avoid
turning the place into a fortress. Why don't they try our large wildlife
pond at the end of the garden.... but then there's no fish in it that I
know of.

--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 04-04-2011, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 4, 5:55*pm, Gopher wrote:
[...]

Gopher .... I know my place!- Hide quoted text -

I think you've got an otter feeding station - enjoy it ;-))

Rod
Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/04/2011 18:38, Rod wrote:
On Apr 4, 5:55 pm, wrote:
In messageop.vtewp1dljpmw0i@r-pc, writes

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 00:14:06 +0200, wrote:

[...]

Absolutely! what a wonderful thing to have otters in the garden. I think
I would be more than happy to share. Shame about the fish, I know how I
felt when the heron took all mine one year, after which I netted the
pond. I now have a really large flourishing pond community, but would
gladly remove the nets if I thought I could encourage otters. Not sure I
would keep replacing the fish, that could become expensive. What else do
they eat?

Bobbie
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bobbie
writes
On 04/04/2011 18:38, Rod wrote:

[...]

The thing is that as otters (at least around here) seem to be mainly
nocturnal I haven't actually seen this band of bandits yet :-))
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2011 09:16, Gopher wrote:
In message , Bobbie
writes
On 04/04/2011 18:38, Rod wrote:

[...]

Nothing for it Gopher, you will have to set up a hide, and stay up all
night.
I did that when I discovered we had a family of hedgehogs living under a
shed.
It was worth the discomfort just to watch that prickly Mum and her young
stalking the slugs. I would certainly do it for otters. :-)

Bobbie
Old 05-04-2011, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Smudge
writes
On 04/04/2011 18:38, Rod wrote:

[...]

Hmmmm :-)). The thought had crossed my mind but I suspect it might be a
long wait unless I arrange to supply some chips and a glass of chilled
Meursault to accompany the new fish).
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 05-04-2011, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

LOL I will certainly drink that.

Bobbie

Old 05-04-2011, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/04/2011 14:14, Janet wrote:
In , says...

Absolutely! what a wonderful thing to have otters in the garden. I
think I would be more than happy to share. Shame about the fish, I
know how I felt when the heron took all mine one year, after which I
netted the pond. I now have a really large flourishing pond community,
but would gladly remove the nets if I thought I could encourage
otters. Not sure I would keep replacing the fish, that could become
expensive. What else do they eat?

We were just talking about this last night, with the friends who supply
our eggs. They had just seen a chicken taken in broad daylight by an otter
:-) (They are very "country" people and would not mistake a mink for an
otter).

A month or so ago they and their neighbours' henhouses were being
raided in the daytime by local badgers who live on the same hill. D solved
this by closing the ground-level pophole to the chicken house, and
relocating it high up above badger reach (his chickens are agile enough
for limited flight). The neighbours keep a heavier breed of chicken, so
they too relocated their pophole to high up above badger-level but leaned
an old ladder up to it, so the chickens could get in. Next thing she hears
a commotion in the chickenhouse and arrived in time to meet the badger
nimbly shinning back down the ladder dragging a dead chicken in its gob...

Janet

Good gracious I had never heard of badgers taking chickens. Don't think
we have any badger set inside the electric fence but I do worry about
rats in the hen house. The humane traps we put out only trapped a couple
of wood mice, which were promptly released again. Still no sign of rats
in any of the outhouses but we remain vigilant. Angus the Westie will be
back with us next week so the combined efforts of Pickles Benji and
Angus should soon get rid of any marauding rodents. Add to that the fact
that the kittens get spayed next week and will soon be free to roam the
area. ( I am still in two minds about that, being rather partial to the
bird life that we have here)

Bobbie
Old 05-04-2011, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history

In message ,
Janet writes
In article , says...

[...]

Certainly both otters and badgers will take chickens, if the birds and
their owners allow themselves to be caught. I've just returned from a
family visit to Argyll; while there my brother-in-law - a retired head
forester - told/showed me how he had lost almost all his prize pigeons
to a mystery night-time raider. After setting a UV camera trap, he found
out that is was not fox, peregrine (which takes his birds regularly, but
he accepts this is part of the game), badger, mink or wildcat. Rather it
was a pine marten; it had got in, killed 90% of the birds and stored
them, out of sight, under the floor in 2 perfect lines, presumably to
await recovery.

I guess we are somewhat OT here so I hope I am excused for cross posting
to uk.rec.wildlife rather than the gardening group where this started.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history

In message ,
Janet writes
In article , says...

Certainly both otters and badgers will take chickens, if the birds and
their owners allow themselves to be caught. I've just returned from a
family visit to Argyll; while there my brother-in-law - a retired head
forester - told/showed me how he had lost almost all his prize pigeons
to a mystery night-time raider. After setting a UV camera trap, he found
out that is was not fox, peregrine (which takes his birds regularly, but
he accepts this is part of the game), badger, mink or wildcat. Rather it
was a pine marten; it had got in, killed 90% of the birds and stored
them, out of sight, under the floor in 2 perfect lines, presumably to
await recovery.

I guess we are somewhat OT here so I hope I am excused for cross posting
to uk.rec.wildlife rather than the gardening group where this started.

We go to a place in in Argyll where wild pinemartens come to the
birdtable every day, to feed on bread and jam put out for them. The
birdtable is about one foot from the house window.

Janet.

I come from Argyll originally and the arrival of the pine marten in any
numbers is relatively recent. Having worked with the Forestry Commission
in the county a fair number of years ago, the sight of one was a very
rare occurrence. The old jam sandwich trick in the garden has been used
by Speyside Wildlife's near their base outside Aviemore for clients for
a number of years. You're right - the martens seem unable to ignore
them! Another example of the Scottish sweet tooth!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.natural-history

In message
, Rod
writes
On Apr 4, 5:55*pm, Gopher wrote:
[...]

Hurrah! Just spotted 3 small and very nervous goldfish braving the
surface water in the glorious April sunshine. Two gold, one black. I
thought it would have be difficult for any predator to hoover up every
fish in that pond --- there were hundreds. Probably more hiding among
plants, rocks etc. But this trio were hugely cautious. The masses of
tadpoles are getting an easy time this year!
--
Gopher .... I know my place!