Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default flower ideas sought for very thin poor soil area

Hi All
there is a very small patch of soil (about 0.5m by 2.5m) close to our
house, in a corner near where cars turn. It's more-or-less created by soil
and general detritus washing down the road and collecting there - there's no
depth to speak of.

Currently a few self-seeding weeds grow there. I would like some ideas as to
what seeds I might sow there which might (a) grow and (b) give 'attractive'
flowers, just to tart up the corner.

I imagine both the thinness of the soil, and the fact that cars turn nearby,
might be a disadvantage. I was thinking of 'old bombsite' type plants - old
man's beard? - but any suggestions gratefully received.

We're on the south coast in generally chalky soil BTW.

Thanks a lot
J^n

Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Night Tripper" wrote

Hi All
there is a very small patch of soil (about 0.5m by 2.5m) close to our
house, in a corner near where cars turn. It's more-or-less created by soil
and general detritus washing down the road and collecting there - there's no
depth to speak of.

Currently a few self-seeding weeds grow there. I would like some ideas as to
what seeds I might sow there which might (a) grow and (b) give 'attractive'
flowers, just to tart up the corner.

I imagine both the thinness of the soil, and the fact that cars turn nearby,
might be a disadvantage. I was thinking of 'old bombsite' type plants - old
man's beard? - but any suggestions gratefully received.

We're on the south coast in generally chalky soil BTW.

Sun or shade?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-04-2011, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Currently a few self-seeding weeds grow there. I would like some ideas as to
what seeds I might sow there which might (a) grow and (b) give 'attractive'
flowers, just to tart up the corner.

I imagine both the thinness of the soil, and the fact that cars turn nearby,
might be a disadvantage. I was thinking of 'old bombsite' type plants - old
man's beard? - but any suggestions gratefully received.

We seem to have tiny purple violas cropping up in similar spots around here.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 20:37:08 +0100, The Night Tripper
wrote:

Hi All
there is a very small patch of soil (about 0.5m by 2.5m) close to our
house, in a corner near where cars turn. It's more-or-less created by soil
and general detritus washing down the road and collecting there - there's no
depth to speak of.

Currently a few self-seeding weeds grow there. I would like some ideas as to
what seeds I might sow there which might (a) grow and (b) give 'attractive'
flowers, just to tart up the corner.

I imagine both the thinness of the soil, and the fact that cars turn nearby,
might be a disadvantage. I was thinking of 'old bombsite' type plants - old
man's beard? - but any suggestions gratefully received.

We're on the south coast in generally chalky soil BTW.

Thanks a lot
J^n

Wild flower seeds are supposed to do well in poor soil.
I'd stick a nasturtian or three in as they grow quite insanely when
they get going.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 06-04-2011, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

Sun or shade?

It will get a fair bit of sun in morning and evening, shaded in the middle
of the day.

J^n

Old 06-04-2011, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , The
Night Tripper writes
Hi All
there is a very small patch of soil (about 0.5m by 2.5m) close to our
house, in a corner near where cars turn. It's more-or-less created by soil
and general detritus washing down the road and collecting there - there's no
depth to speak of.

Currently a few self-seeding weeds grow there. I would like some ideas as to
what seeds I might sow there which might (a) grow and (b) give 'attractive'
flowers, just to tart up the corner.

I imagine both the thinness of the soil, and the fact that cars turn nearby,
might be a disadvantage. I was thinking of 'old bombsite' type plants - old
man's beard? - but any suggestions gratefully received.

Did you mean Clematis vitalba, or something else (e.g. Chamaerion
angustifolium - rosebay willow herb or fireweed)?

Perhaps corn poppies would do. You do find them growing in the same sort
of scraps of soil as frequented by shepherd's purse and thale cress and
ivy leaved speedwell. (I don't know how they handle lime.)

We're on the south coast in generally chalky soil BTW.

Thanks a lot
J^n

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-04-2011, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:46:03 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

[...]

Some sedums, saxifrages, or sempervivums (houseleeks) would do on next
to nothing, and give year-round cover. Avoid the lime-haters, of
course.

--
Mike.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"The Night Tripper" wrote ...

Bob Hobden wrote:

Sun or shade?

It will get a fair bit of sun in morning and evening, shaded in the middle
of the day.
Try seeding some California Poppies there, if they do grow they will seed
themselves around and come up year after year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 07-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Night Tripper View Post
Hi All
there is a very small patch of soil (about 0.5m by 2.5m) close to our
house, in a corner near where cars turn. It's more-or-less created by soil
and general detritus washing down the road and collecting there - there's no
depth to speak of.
If you want something to occupy it all year, you could grow lavender. Cheapest way is to get a packet of seeds, germinate them in a seed tray and plant them out later.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi there
Thanks for all the ideas. I actually have some Californian Poppy seeds I
meant to sow last year, so I'll certainly try those. I meant Rosebay Willow
Herb rather than the Clematis that was mentioned. And I have a fondness for
Nasturtiums for obscure reasons, so I'll give those a try (I probably should
have mentioned that this little strip is adjacent to a chain link fence.

Thanks a lot.

J^n

Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:35:52 +0100, The Night Tripper
wrote:

Hi there
Thanks for all the ideas. I actually have some Californian Poppy seeds I
meant to sow last year, so I'll certainly try those. I meant Rosebay Willow
Herb rather than the Clematis that was mentioned. And I have a fondness for
Nasturtiums for obscure reasons, so I'll give those a try (I probably should
have mentioned that this little strip is adjacent to a chain link fence.

Thanks a lot.

I really recommend you not to use rose bay willow herb: I doubt if it
would actually grow in the near soil-less conditions you describe, but
if it did, you'd infest your own and every garden in the neighbourhood
with its wind-blown seeds.

--
Mike.