Old 22-04-2011, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Default Bluetits again

Well the box was quiet for days but activity started again yesterday. Loads
more nest building material going in.

A few questions to the experts please.

Could they have started to lay eggs yet and the moss etc going in, being
used to keep the eggs warm?
A bird came to the hole yesterday, looked in, didn't go in, BUT, there was
the quivering wing action of a young bird. Could this be a fledgling from
another nest? Already?
And what is the Bluetits, 'safety zone'? The nestbox is 12 feet away from me
with the doors open, my wife has been backwards and forwards to within 6
feet of it whilst gardening, and the birds have taken no notice at all!! How
'near' would be danger?

Now one for you to laugh at. I have the radio on all the time, Classifm so
there is a lot of music + the stupid adverts. Farmers have put music in
milking parlours. Is music a 'soothing' influence to birds as well?

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 22-04-2011, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"'Mike'" wrote in message
[...]

I turned on the camera inside the box this morning and saw what looks like
the first egg. I am not sure, as I remember that once it was just a 'bald'
patch of the bottom of the box that looks just like an egg. Yesterday, I
thought she had finally found my hair that I put out but saw several
sparrows with similar material in their beaks. It wasn't until I went
outside and found the remains of a collared dove (just the feathers, no
corpse) that I realised that they had all been collecting the downy
feathers.
I very much doubt you saw a chick from this year. This link
http://www.biggonline.co.uk/ is generally much earlier than mine and they
are still laying and mine may have started. I believe the female will do
this quiver motion to ask for food from the male. I have only seen it
inside the nestbox, though. I am hoping to add some video and a report
before dark this evening. Generally, after each egg is laid, the female
leaves the box but returns later to cover them.
As for your safety zone, we have sat on the patio, no more than a few feet
from the nestbox and they don't seem to mind. Last year, I was being
watched from the tree whist I removed a corpse that she had not managed to
remove.

Dave.

--
Dave & Viv are living happily ever after in Pembrokeshire.
www.daviv.com for a bluetit diary.

Old 22-04-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Dave Hall wrote:
... I believe the
female will do this quiver motion to ask for food from the male. I
have only seen it inside the nestbox, though.

"My" bluetits have been doing that a lot in the garden and there has been
courtship feeding in response. I have read that this extra food helps the
female to build eggs. There was definitely at least one in the nest box
yesterday but it and any extras were well covered up today. Feathers are
still being carried in. (They are supplied in a vegetable net bag and
originate in a feather cushion acquired, for free, for the purpose.)

As for your safety zone, we have sat on the patio, no more than a few
feet from the nestbox and they don't seem to mind. Last year, I was
being watched from the tree whist I removed a corpse that she had not
managed to remove.

My nest box is at head height on the back door jamb, so I can see it from my
PC in the window and it could easily, in the past, have its camera linked to
indoor kit. I get scolded by the birds from time to time, but they get the
benefit of protection from real predators!

I too have removed, years ago, a chick's corpse that I saw via the camera
was giving the parents difficulty. But I tried to time it to when they had
both just flown off on a foraging trip.

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Old 23-04-2011, 07:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Hall wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike and Dave. You learn something new every day ;-))

Birds very busy in and out this morning :-)

With being away for three months I thought I was going to miss everything,
but no I haven't.

Old 23-04-2011, 11:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

Dave Hall wrote:
I turned on the camera inside the box this morning and saw what looks
like the first egg.

We've so far this morning had 10 eggs !

http://www.markyboy.net/birdbox90.html

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk

Old 24-05-2011, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

The box for the last week or so has been like a High Street. Both the birds
working from very early to late, in and out, with food in and sacs out.

A few more questions from an arm chair bird watcher. (I don't have to go
out!!)

Will the chicks appear at the hole before flying? Being nosey and wanting to
know what is outside!!

Once they leave, 'they', but I don't know how many there are, will they all
leave at once and am I correct in saying that once they have gone ..........
they have gone?

The reason for the last question is that we are going to have cavity
insulation fitted and I have put them off until the birds have gone,
considering the nest is under the veranda and so close to the house
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q

Thanks for the help

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 24-05-2011, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

'Mike' wrote:
Once they leave, 'they', but I don't know how many there are, will
they all leave at once and am I correct in saying that once they have
gone .......... they have gone?

I don't think the chicks ever go back in once left. But some might stay
overnight after the bravest have left. And the parents might take a while
before they are convinced the box is empty and so keep visiting.

Mike (whose nest box only has dead chicks in now).

Old 24-05-2011, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
o.uk...
'Mike' wrote:
Once they leave, 'they', but I don't know how many there are, will
they all leave at once and am I correct in saying that once they have
gone .......... they have gone?

I don't think the chicks ever go back in once left. But some might stay
overnight after the bravest have left. And the parents might take a while
before they are convinced the box is empty and so keep visiting.

Mike (whose nest box only has dead chicks in now).
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Thanks for the good information, but what happened to your chicks? Any
survive and leave?

Old 24-05-2011, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

'Mike' wrote:
Thanks for the good information, but what happened to your chicks? Any
survive and leave?

Unfortunately I don't know, but I suspect not. I haven't emptied the nest
yet to see how many corpses there are, and in any case the parents try to
remove early dead chicks as part of their hygiene regime. There had been
eight eggs...

In previous years chicks had left the box too early (it seemed to me) so I
picked them up and put them back in an attempt to keep them away from the
multiple predators around here until they had a better chance of flying to
safety. But I don't think it works...

Mike.

Old 25-05-2011, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
o.uk...
'Mike' wrote:
Thanks for the good information, but what happened to your chicks? Any
survive and leave?

Unfortunately I don't know, but I suspect not. I haven't emptied the nest
yet to see how many corpses there are, and in any case the parents try to
remove early dead chicks as part of their hygiene regime. There had been
eight eggs...

In previous years chicks had left the box too early (it seemed to me) so I
picked them up and put them back in an attempt to keep them away from the
multiple predators around here until they had a better chance of flying to
safety. But I don't think it works...

Mike.
--
If reply address is (invalid), remove spurious "@"
and substitute "plus" for +.

Very sad after all the work they put in.

As a matter of interest, what do you do with the corpses? The nesting
material can go in the compost heap, but the corpses would attract Rats.
Only asking if we have the same result :-(( We don't bonfire so that is out,
we shred everything possible, no answer there, and obnoxious weeds go in the
dustbin. Maybe that will be the answer.

Old 25-05-2011, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

On Wed, 25 May 2011 09:22:09 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
news:t8ydndMEfviIqEHQnZ2dnUVZ8nCdnZ2d@brightview. co.uk...
'Mike' wrote:
[...]

The magpies round here eat them.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 25-05-2011, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

'Mike' wrote:
As a matter of interest, what do you do with the corpses? The nesting
material can go in the compost heap, but the corpses would attract
Rats. Only asking if we have the same result :-(( We don't bonfire so
that is out, we shred everything possible, no answer there, and
obnoxious weeds go in the dustbin. Maybe that will be the answer.

I don't think I "have" rats, and my bin is not open to them. Don't they eat
compost worms? Anyway, if you leave the corpses in the nest box until the
Autumn like one is supposed to there won't be much left of the tiny
mummified remains even to interest a rat!

For lots about the private life of nestbox birds, try
http://www.mybitoftheplanet.com/ and http://www.biggonline.co.uk/

Mike.

Old 26-05-2011, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.rec.birdwatching

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Mike Coon" wrote in message
o.uk...
'Mike' wrote:
Thanks for the good information, but what happened to your chicks? Any
survive and leave?

Unfortunately I don't know, but I suspect not. I haven't emptied the nest

Very sad after all the work they put in.

snip
As a matter of interest, what do you do with the corpses? The nesting
material can go in the compost heap, but the corpses would attract Rats.
Only asking if we have the same result :-(( We don't bonfire so that is
out, we shred everything possible, no answer there, and obnoxious weeds go
in the dustbin. Maybe that will be the answer.

Mike
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

In 2005 all my chicks died. I decided to put them out on the lawn to see
who or what would be interested. You can see the video and read the diary
on Page three, he-
http://www.daviv.com/bird_box_diary_2005_page_three.htm

The five chicks that have hatched this year are almost ready to fledge.
Details in this year's diary.

Dave

--
It is very strange, and very melancholy,
that the paucity of human pleasures