Old 09-05-2011, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ouch! Dangerous weed.

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:

My forearms are covered in horrible red blisters, like lots of burn
wounds, they are a real mess. ...

Nasty. You'll recover, but it will take a while.

I wish I knew exactly what type of weed did the damage. I know that
amongst the weeds there was one of those big plants that look like a
thistle but have yellow flowers, there were also lots of forget-me-nots
and some morning glory. I'm not aware of any of those having dangerous sap?

Don't be confused by the crap the gutter press puts out. There
are thousands of common plants that can cause that, and people
vary immensely in their responses. Things are nowhere near as
simple as poisonous/non-poisonous. All that you can tell is that
you are allergic to one of those plants, and it was probably a
photosensitivity, so wouldn't have happened on a really gloomy day.

It can be caused by grass, and then is associated with hay fever,
for example.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

My forearms are covered in horrible red blisters, like lots of burn
wounds, they are a real mess. Three days ago I ran the lawnmower over
some weeds / flowers which where poking through a fence onto the edge of
the lawn. It only knocked over some of the taller weeds so I pulled them
up by hand afterwards wearing leather gloves but bare arms. I thought
nothing of this and continued working in the garden for several hours.
However by the evening my arms were itching and had red marks. By the
following day they were covered in red swollen blisters. Some long
blisters too several inches long, all full of fluid. They are still a
mess and red and itching three days later.

After looking up the symptoms and degree of skin blistering on the web
it is possible the weed could have been a giant hogweed but I don't
remember mowing one of those down. It is likely that running the mower
over the weeds/flowers splattered sap all over them and when I pulling
up the flattened stragglers and carried them in my arms to the compost
bin I probably got my arms coated in sap.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
[...]

Sounds like Hogweed to me, not neccesarily the giant sort, just ordinary
standard Hogweed, the damaged is made worse if the sap gets on the skin and
then is exposed to sunlight, I have the scars on my hands to this day of a
dose before I realised how damaging it could be.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-05-2011, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2011 13:50, Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

It is possible, and I continued working in the full sun for several more
hours. There is certainly lots of the ordinary hogweed growing wild
around here. By the look of the burns on my arms I'm likely to be
carrying some of the scars for the rest of my life too! In all the years
I've been gardening the worst I've ever suffered from plants are mild
alergic reactions to runner bean leaves and courgette foliage; the
occasional thorn, prickle, nettle sting and slashes from pampas grass.
This is more like an industrial accident with acid! I don't think it
will warrant a hospital visit, but still quite nasty.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Photosensitising by (giant) hogweed seems the most likely explanation.
It can be pretty nasty. And also once sensitised I think you are always
in for a rough ride with it in future.

No, No, NO!!!

That's all true, but it's NOT particularly likely to be giant hogweed,
or even ordinary hogweed. LOTS of plants will do it to the same
extent, and not everybody reacts to giant hogweed, anyway. Common
periwinkle and most spurge sap will both do it, for a start.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 9, 1:22*pm, David in Normandy
wrote:
[...]

* *To e-mail you must include the password FROG on the
* *subject line, or it will be automatically deleted
* *by a filter and not reach my inbox.- Hide quoted text -

I have had the same sort of thing happen for 3 years on the trot, not
as bad as yours but I was getting blistering after contact with
something, I put it down to contact with the stems of hops causing a
reaction when I got sunlight exposure.
The blistering lasted for a few days and left lighter patches on my
arms which took a few months to dissapear.
I believe that teasel can have the same result.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2011 14:33, Dave Hill wrote:
On May 9, 1:22 pm, David in
wrote:
On 09/05/2011 13:50, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"David in wrote in message
. fr...
[...]

They might have something better than over the counter treatments to
help minimise inflammation and scarring and avoid secondary infections.

Photosensitising by (giant) hogweed seems the most likely explanation.
It can be pretty nasty. And also once sensitised I think you are always
in for a rough ride with it in future.

I have had the same sort of thing happen for 3 years on the trot, not
as bad as yours but I was getting blistering after contact with
something, I put it down to contact with the stems of hops causing a
reaction when I got sunlight exposure.

I think hops will do it to. ISTR More like bad nettle rash than a strict
allergy.

The blistering lasted for a few days and left lighter patches on my
arms which took a few months to dissapear.
I believe that teasel can have the same result.

Never had any bother with teasel apart from mechanical thorn based
injuries from it and brambles. I managed to accidentally get sensitised
to sedum spectabile sap by careless handling and strong sunlight.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-05-2011, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

Photosensitising by (giant) hogweed seems the most likely explanation.
It can be pretty nasty. And also once sensitised I think you are always
in for a rough ride with it in future.

No, No, NO!!!

I beg to disagree. I reckon one of hogweed or giant hogweed is about the
most likely at this time of year strimming in rough ground. I did a
quick lookup and it doesn't require any presensitisation the damage is
done by the combination of sunlight and furocoumarins in the sap.

That's all true, but it's NOT particularly likely to be giant hogweed,
or even ordinary hogweed. LOTS of plants will do it to the same
extent, and not everybody reacts to giant hogweed, anyway. Common

Enough people do and badly enough that it is classified as a noxious
weed requiring careful handling.

Oh, God :-( I remember when that happened, and how. It started
with media hysteria over giant hogweed, causing the politicians
to react irrationally, and then that spread to cow parsley.
It probably IS now recorded as responsible for the majority of
such reactions in the UK, because those that do such recording
have been brainwashed into thinking that it is the most likely
cause.

Those of us who lived in the relevant rural areas used to cut
masses down with a sickle and bare arms - and I did that even
with giant hogweed. The effect was rare, and usually associated
with some other plant. Yes, strimmers make the problem more
likely, but for ALL such plants.

It's just like the asbestos hysteria, which has had the primary
effect of creating a totally unnecessary industry of asbestos
removal, and has almost certainly not had a measurable effect
on health.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-05-2011, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2011 12:47, David in Normandy wrote:
[...]

Try
http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/plants/hogweed.html

Worth treating most of the hogweed family with respect. Strimming it in
strong sunshine is asking for trouble. Just be glad we don't have
anything in the league of urushiol containing poison ivy/oak.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-05-2011, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/09/2011 02:22 PM, David in Normandy wrote:
On 09/05/2011 13:50, Charlie Pridham wrote:

[]

[...]

Wow, that's terrible. What did your GP say, any treatment?

There are tonnes of hogweed growing around, over the last 20 years there
has been a huge invasion of the stuff. Roadsides, fields. French call
it La Berce, (giant hogweed is Berce de Caucause). Really very hard to
kill, I've found.

-E

Old 09-05-2011, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2011 14:15, wrote:
In ,
Martin wrote:

[...]

Most euphorbiaceae will - and some of the succulent ones are
exceptionally nasty and caustic in this respect. A few like E. Virosa
contain sap at such high pressure that if punctured it will jet latex
threads 3-6 feet away from the plant and cause temporary blindness and
intense pain (permanent blindness if you rub your eyes). The sap of
Aeonium Lindleyii is alledgely a partial antidote to it.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-05-2011, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2011 15:52, Martin Brown wrote:

Try
http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/plants/hogweed.html

Worth treating most of the hogweed family with respect. Strimming it in
strong sunshine is asking for trouble. Just be glad we don't have
anything in the league of urushiol containing poison ivy/oak.

The middle photo is how my arms look, except I've also got some
additional blisters several inches long, presumably due to picking the
sap covered stuff up in my arms to carry to the compost bin rather than
simply strimming it. I'll certainly take more care in future not to get
any type of plant sap on my skin. I'll also give hogweed a lot more
respect too!

It's dangerous in gardens! LOL

Old 09-05-2011, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2011 14:48, wrote:
In ,
Martin wrote:

[...]

ISTR that the giant hogweed persecution in the UK began in the 60's
after children playing with the stems suffered appalling injuries to
face and arms as a result. I never really considered cow parsley that
much of a threat but the risk is possible - same with that tasty variety
of celery that they bred with potent photosensitivity.

It probably IS now recorded as responsible for the majority of
such reactions in the UK, because those that do such recording
have been brainwashed into thinking that it is the most likely
cause.

I think giant hogweed is fairly nasty if you get the wrong combination
of strong sun and sap on your skin. I don't know offhand what proportion
of people are affected but the chemistry is sufficiently nasty that I'd
expect it to be a lot and the reaction to it severe.

Those of us who lived in the relevant rural areas used to cut
masses down with a sickle and bare arms - and I did that even
with giant hogweed. The effect was rare, and usually associated
with some other plant. Yes, strimmers make the problem more
likely, but for ALL such plants.

A sickle gives a clean cut and limited spray. Using a strimmer generates
a mist of sap and plant fibres everywhere.

It's just like the asbestos hysteria, which has had the primary
effect of creating a totally unnecessary industry of asbestos
removal, and has almost certainly not had a measurable effect
on health.

I don't think your namesake Malcolm would be quite so cavalier about the
risks of asbestos. UK has too much blue and brown asbestos around in the
mix. The white form and concrete composite materials using it are
relatively benign by comparison and at least 100x less dangerous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...aren-dies.html

But you cannot expect politicians or building workers with crowbars and
sledgehammers to recognise the different types of asbestos minerals. I
once saw an opo at a disposal site put asbestos cement board into a
crusher for general waste as he didn't recognise it for what it was.
There was a huge plume of white dust everywhere completely enveloping
him. They had proper double bagged and locked skip asbestos waste
disposal on site.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 09-05-2011, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

ISTR that the giant hogweed persecution in the UK began in the 60's
after children playing with the stems suffered appalling injuries to
face and arms as a result. I never really considered cow parsley that
much of a threat but the risk is possible - same with that tasty variety
of celery that they bred with potent photosensitivity.

Which rag did you get that out of? The headlines certainly said
"appalling injuries", but it was a dead period and the gutter
press needed some headlines. As far as I know (and I tried to
check), they were nothing more than the normal photochemical
reaction, and would heal up normally.

It's just like the asbestos hysteria, which has had the primary
effect of creating a totally unnecessary industry of asbestos
removal, and has almost certainly not had a measurable effect
on health.

I don't think your namesake Malcolm would be quite so cavalier about the
risks of asbestos. UK has too much blue and brown asbestos around in the
mix. The white form and concrete composite materials using it are
relatively benign by comparison and at least 100x less dangerous.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...aren-dies.html

Oh, for heaven's sake! The problems were ALL, to within measurability,
caused to people who were working with asbestos, and not those who
merely used the products. All that was needed was to tighten the
Elfin Safety rules in its manufacture and processing, but the
hysterics demanded actions that probably increased the danger
to the public (from almost nil to negligible). Phasing it out
was the correct decision, but the panic was (and is) not, and there
is absolutely no justification for removing it from buildings as
soon as it is found.

Those aren't just my opinions. I got the same from two experts
on the topic - and I mean top-level experts - who I met socially.

The risk from asbestos in the UK to ordinary people was and is
almost certainly lower than the risk of being killed by lightning,
and other such things.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

FloralDays - ouch! David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 0 21-04-2006 01:31 PM
Ouch that hurt, Bee stings Ben Gardening 4 15-10-2005 11:47 PM
Help I Lost ("OUCH!" ~Fred Hall) Birthday suit Larry Ponds 0 01-04-2005 11:00 PM
Sandburs... Ouch ! Bobbo Texas 7 18-02-2004 04:05 AM
Ouch !!!! Lotus has thorns claude rogers Ponds 15 09-08-2003 02:37 PM