Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default First fuchsias of the year

I was supprised today to see these fuchsias in flower, most are still
trying to grow back after the bad winter.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias03.jpg
Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 May 2011 09:57:55 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

I was supprised today to see these fuchsias in flower, most are still
trying to grow back after the bad winter.

Nice to see them flowering, not trying to put a damper on them but I
have heard that sometimes in a last burst of life before keeling over,
plants will try to flower and set seed before heading for the compost
heap. Might help to give them some love and attention! :-)

I have had 'Barbara Windsor' and ' swanley gem' producing flowers
already. Which is a bit of a pest as I would like them to put on a bit
more growth first.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info
Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
I was supprised today to see these fuchsias in flower, most are still
trying to grow back after the bad winter.

Nice to see them flowering, not trying to put a damper on them but I
have heard that sometimes in a last burst of life before keeling over,
plants will try to flower and set seed before heading for the compost
heap. Might help to give them some love and attention! :-)

I have had 'Barbara Windsor' and ' swanley gem' producing flowers
already. Which is a bit of a pest as I would like them to put on a bit
more growth first.

www.lincolnfuchsiasociety.info

No problem with these, shooting all over the place, just lost a foot
or so of top growth.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Dave Hill wrote:
I was supprised today to see these fuchsias in flower, most are still
trying to grow back after the bad winter.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias03.jpg

I've got a single plant that survived in the unheated greenhouse, I guess it
was hardy afterall. I think it's a checkerboard. Not only did it stay
alive during the whole winter, it stayed in flower!! (Just the one) I'm
trying to make it into a standard, not sure if it will work
Old 11-05-2011, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote

I was surprised today to see these fuchsias in flower, most are still
trying to grow back after the bad winter.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias03.jpg

Very nice and I'm jealous because I think my decent sized "hardy" fuchsia is
no more. Strange yet a couple of large flowered ones (non-hardy) have
survived outside in pots over winter.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 12-05-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote:

I was supprised today to see these fuchsias in flower, most are still
trying to grow back after the bad winter.

Last year I planted the GW free fuchsias. Although they flowered,
they hadn't really made particularly large plants by the end of
the season. When we had such a hard winter, I gave them up as
lost, leaving the labels in place more in hope than expectation,
but to my surprise there are signs of life returning.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
I was supprised today to see these fuchsias in flower, most are still
trying to grow back after the bad winter.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias01.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...fuchsias03.jpg
Its amazing I too had one thatwas growing and in bud under a hosta on Sat whcih I have nowdug up the hosta tolet the fuchsia grow and is now in bud ready to open.

The last photo of yours is that Hhead?

I have been searching for a white hardy fuchsia.

Have you a lot of fuchsias?

Rusty Fuchsias DavidS United Kingdom 5 11-02-2004 10:17 AM
Rusty Fuchsias DavidS United Kingdom 0 10-02-2004 01:38 AM
Fuchsias? Kostas Kavoussanakis United Kingdom 4 16-06-2003 07:21 PM
fuchsias B & J Gardening 1 08-03-2003 06:08 AM
Miiserable fuchsias in pots pbaitch United Kingdom 2 10-11-2002 12:03 AM