Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-05-2011, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Ladybirds again.. to buy or not to buy

On 2011-05-17 12:24:06 +0100, Dave Hill said:

On May 17, 12:11*am, Janet wrote:
In article , says....

Just noticed plenty of aphid activity on a few plants, was thinking of

(or
rather being nagged into) ordering some ladybird adults & larvae and a

house
and food.

Would I be better off spraying the infestation with aphid-killer and
chucking 40 quid over the fence instead? I still have a hard time belie

ving
that if I buy ladybirds, they're not going to bugger off into the atmos

phere
without even a thank-you as soon as my back's turned. I reckon I might

as
well buy a 40 quid jam jar full of air and release it into my garden, a

nd
have the same chances of finding some of it still there the next day.

Anyone with opinions/experiences?

* You can get birds to clear the aphids a lot cheaper, just hang a pean

ut
feeder close to the aphid infestation to show the birds where lunch is.. A

this time of year they prefer live food to feed their young.

* *Janet

There is no way I would try to get birds to clear aphids from a
glasshouse.

Really? They're in and out of ours all and every day. *We hang bird
feeders in there to encourage them and there's always a box of crumbs
by the till for them to feed from. *Customers love to watch them, too. *
I think there have been two occasions of birds flying into the glass
that I remember and that could happen any time, anywhere.
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

Not amongst a couple of thousand cuttings and young plants.
They are OK amongst mature plants.

Is it too late to buy ladybirds? Mentalguy2k8[_2_] United Kingdom 7 03-09-2010 05:41 PM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 32 27-03-2005 10:55 PM
Greenfly / Ladybirds JennyC United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 01:11 PM
where are all the ladybirds? Pickle United Kingdom 6 08-07-2003 06:32 AM