Old 28-05-2011, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cat deterrent

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2011 11:06:49 +0100, (Peter
James) wrote:

Peter James wrote:

I'm desperate. Can anyone recommend any cat deterrent that works.

We live on an estate and there are at least 12 cats within 25 yards
up and down the road, and they're using my front garden as a cat
toilet. It doesn't help that ours is the only front garden with
turned earth on it, the rest of the estate all seem to favour grass
lawns. Now I know why.

We've tried the electronic cat scarer and it's useless. I tried
netting the flower bed and they actually crap on the net. I've
tried timber laths with nails on it, to no affect.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Peter

I researched the problem thoroughly and the last option is to try
pepper dust and another pwder that claims to be better at deterring
cats. If all else fails then I'm buying a small batterey operated
electric fencer. It works off torch batteries and will energise
sufficient fencer wire to make the front and rear garden cat proof.
The total cost will be in the region of £60. But job done.

As an ex farm machinery and sundries salesman I know enough about
fencers to ensure this will work.
Once done I'll report back to the NG.

If a small child touches the fence you could be in trouble.

The simple solution to this is to place wooden boards to a distance of one
meter either side of the electric fence, with upwards pointing 6" nails
spaced around 1-2" apart in a grid. This will allow access to the fence to
cats, dogs, birds etc while probably deterring a small child. And if not, at
least the child is held conveniently in place until the parents can come to
collect it.

Ian

Old 28-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered User

Quite like the idea of the Electric Fence! Not sure about the nails though (earlier post).
I've had a cat for years and though I had sorted out the problem of her messing in other yards by providing her with a dug area in the corner of the garden. She poos in there fine, but have since found she still pees everywhere (luckily in my garden still as I too don't want to see her in the neighbours gardens doing her business)!!. Have a feeling its something to do with a new TomCat next door and territory stuff and wotnot, but its back to the old kitty psycology book again.... oh hum!

For the original poster, I suggest the same - a good cat book or weblink! If you're fighting the enemy, it's best to know their name!

Glenys
Old 28-05-2011, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ian B"
Doesn't need to be a Tom. My cat Cassie is a girl, and she's as
fierce at seeing off other cats as can be. The only time I see
another cat in the garden, it's running at top speed to get through
the "enemy territory".

In my experience a neutered Tom can get quite laid back as they age
but a neutered female is still feisty and single minded about such
things to the end. Especially a female pedigree cat that hates oiks!

Cassie is a purebred moggie, a rescue cat from the streets

She's never tolerated other cats for a second. She's also a fierce
mouser/ratter. I went out into the garden one morning to find a scene of
utter carnage- NINE dead rats, laid out beyond the door! It was like the
Somme. But with rats, kind of thing.

My cat has brought me five baby ratties in a few
days.
I have to admit he is not silly enough to try his chance at the big ones
with the chisel teeth.
I always say every young one caught by your cat stops it being a big one.
Three cheers for my cat.
His name is Boyfriend. Of course there is a story about his name.

Old 29-05-2011, 05:21 AM
rengiesuerte's Avatar
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter James[_2_] View Post

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 31-05-2011, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes

Today he earned some extra treats - he rang his doorbell (that's
another story) and sat proudly as the door was opened and he displayed
the dead rat he'd brought home. A clean kill - he kills rats and moles
with a single bite wound across the back of the neck but carefully
carries the occasional mouse or shrew back for us to chase around the
house and they rarely have a wound!

Ours - a beaut of a bengal - was neutered around 8 months old. He is a
big boy - and heaven knows how big he would have got if we hadn't
removed his bits. (In fact, the bit where his bits were seems bigger
than most cat's bit bags). He terrifies our other timid little tabby
but is ok with the local neighbour catsand positively loves humans.
Anything else feline he doesn't tolerate.

His favourite treat atm is rabbits - well, large-ish young bunnies,
really. He usually brings them back unharmed in order to provide us
with the entertainment and exercise of spending ages chasing round the
rooms to catch and release. (Followed by the long walk across the field
to a briar patch

Sometimes, however, they get seriously discombobulated. Actually, its
usually the head that gets discom-ulated, rather than the bob. But they
are definitely confused following his attentions. Occasionally a leg
gets separated too. Not too lucky for bunny.

Even though he's neutered, he's out most nights from spring - and comes
in extremely keen to tell us all about it (read 'to wake us up')
sometime between 5 and 7 am.

That said, all he has brought back (that we see) are rabbits and rats -
so it could be worse.

--
regards andyw

Old 31-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Registered User

I approved added hot Chilli powder. Apparently neither bodies nor foxes are beat by chemically hot food. May accept to try putting out bait annointed with Pure Cap, just to see if they're harder enough.
__________________
cheap hydroponics
Old 31-05-2011, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

No one needs to apologise for having a cat. Mine is very useful killing
mice & little rats around my chicken huts
He does *not" do the big ones with brown chisel teeth. we get the terrier
men in to do that.
And even then they can be a challenge for the terrriers that can kill
anything that moves. But it was only myself, perhaps that worried when a
rat hung on to terriers nose and it bled. I insisted on antiseptic, her
owner was amused.