Old 28-05-2011, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default my frog

I've had a frog in my garden for 3 years or so and I wonder if anyone
might have some insights?

It seems to be a bachelor, I've never seen 2 frogs. How does it cope
with the boredom?

Can they survive drought? I've been watering regularly round its
favourite spot but I'm going to have to leave the garden for a couple
of weeks and the forecast doesn't look wet. I was thinking of sinking
a plastic container with water into the soil underneath a heather
thereby reducing loss through evaporation. Or will he (she) just dig
herself down till it gets damp enough.

Old 28-05-2011, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

bob wrote:
I've had a frog in my garden for 3 years or so and I wonder if anyone
might have some insights?

It seems to be a bachelor, I've never seen 2 frogs. How does it cope
with the boredom?

Can they survive drought? I've been watering regularly round its
favourite spot but I'm going to have to leave the garden for a couple
of weeks and the forecast doesn't look wet. I was thinking of sinking
a plastic container with water into the soil underneath a heather
thereby reducing loss through evaporation. Or will he (she) just dig
herself down till it gets damp enough.

Are there any frog ponds nearby? I found one in my compost heap last year (a
frog, not a pond) and after some investigation I found he had gone
a-wandering from the pond of my neighbour four gardens down, which I hadn't
known existed (the pond, not the neighbour).

Ian

Old 28-05-2011, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:27:52 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , bob says...

I've had a frog in my garden for 3 years or so and I wonder if anyone
might have some insights?

It seems to be a bachelor, I've never seen 2 frogs. How does it cope
with the boredom?

Can they survive drought? I've been watering regularly round its
favourite spot but I'm going to have to leave the garden for a couple
of weeks and the forecast doesn't look wet. I was thinking of sinking
a plastic container with water into the soil underneath a heather
thereby reducing loss through evaporation. Or will he (she) just dig
herself down till it gets damp enough.

Are you sure it's a frog not a toad? iirc toads are more often solitary
(and longlived)

not certain but...la voici

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/IMG_0158%20ps.jpg

Janet

Old 28-05-2011, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2011 12:40:47 +0100, "Ian B"
wrote:

Are there any frog ponds nearby? I found one in my compost heap last year (a
frog, not a pond) and after some investigation I found he had gone
a-wandering from the pond of my neighbour four gardens down, which I hadn't
known existed (the pond, not the neighbour).

Ian

....no ponds that I know of. Also, I'm surrounded by old walls at
least 2m high. I suppose it might have climbed up a shrub...
Old 28-05-2011, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/05/2011 13:02, bob wrote:
I've had a frog in my garden for 3 years or so and I wonder if anyone
might have some insights?

It seems to be a bachelor, I've never seen 2 frogs. How does it cope
with the boredom?

Can they survive drought? I've been watering regularly round its
favourite spot but I'm going to have to leave the garden for a couple
of weeks and the forecast doesn't look wet. I was thinking of sinking
a plastic container with water into the soil underneath a heather
thereby reducing loss through evaporation. Or will he (she) just dig
herself down till it gets damp enough.

A few years ago I wanted to attract frogs and toads to my vegetable
garden because they eat slugs. So I bought a large plastic tub (approx
40 litres) dug a hole and set it in the hole with just the rim above
ground level. I planted some trailing ground cover plants around it and
filled it with rain water from the water butts. There are often
frogs/toads in there now. The tub is positioned next to a bush so it is
shaded from most of the sun. The herbaceous ground cover plants trail
around and in the water making it easy for creatures to climb out.

The other day while moving some plant pots on the patio a frog jumped
out so I scooped it up between my hands and dropped it into the little
pond. It jumped out again immediately but another frog suddenly appeared
at the surface as much as to say "Eh! What's going on?"

So despite the drought here, the little shaded tub-pond is a little
haven. They've got plenty of slugs to eat too!

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 28-05-2011, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bob" wrote in message ...
I've had a frog in my garden for 3 years or so and I wonder if anyone
might have some insights?

It seems to be a bachelor, I've never seen 2 frogs. How does it cope
with the boredom?

Can they survive drought? I've been watering regularly round its
favourite spot but I'm going to have to leave the garden for a couple
of weeks and the forecast doesn't look wet. I was thinking of sinking
a plastic container with water into the soil underneath a heather
thereby reducing loss through evaporation. Or will he (she) just dig
herself down till it gets damp enough.

AFAIK frogs generally live away from water most of the year - each needs its
own space to find enough food - and return to water for mating.
So I wouldn't worry too much as long as you have some shade in the garden
plus stones/dead wood to provide moist shelter.

As sugested elsewhere, a very small pool of water should be enough to
encourage frogs and provide a swimming pool for exercise :-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 28-05-2011, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:19:12 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 28/05/2011 13:02, bob wrote:
[...]

Sounds nice. I was thinking along the lines of a miniature version of
your 40 litre tub, probably just a broad hole with a thick plastic
liner. I'm not sure about evaporation rates so perhaps it should be
deep?
Old 28-05-2011, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:33:12 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , bob says...

On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:27:52 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , bob says...

I've had a frog in my garden for 3 years or so and I wonder if anyone
might have some insights?

It seems to be a bachelor, I've never seen 2 frogs. How does it cope
with the boredom?

Can they survive drought? I've been watering regularly round its
favourite spot but I'm going to have to leave the garden for a couple
of weeks and the forecast doesn't look wet. I was thinking of sinking
a plastic container with water into the soil underneath a heather
thereby reducing loss through evaporation. Or will he (she) just dig
herself down till it gets damp enough.

Are you sure it's a frog not a toad? iirc toads are more often solitary
(and longlived)

not certain but...la voici

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/IMG_0158%20ps.jpg

He looks very warty for a frog. Frogs hop, toads sort of clamber along.

Janet.

I've never actually seen it move, and I don't like to move it along.
You're right, it is fairly warty.
Old 28-05-2011, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

On Sat, 28 May 2011 14:32:58 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"bob" wrote in message ...
[...]

Ok, thanks. I think the miniature pool on a thick plastic rubble bag
will do the trick for now.
Old 28-05-2011, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:42:39 +0200, bob wrote:

Are you sure it's a frog not a toad? iirc toads are more often solitary
(and longlived)

not certain but...la voici

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/IMG_0158%20ps.jpg

He looks very warty for a frog. Frogs hop, toads sort of clamber along.

Janet.

I've never actually seen it move, and I don't like to move it along.
You're right, it is fairly warty.

Given the colour and the black spots it looks very much like the
Edible frog, Rana esulenta. If you are interested in garden
amphibians you may want to have a look at this NE pdf:
http://naturalengland.etraderstores....glandShop/NE18

rbel

Old 28-05-2011, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 28, 1:52*pm, bob wrote:
On Sat, 28 May 2011 13:27:52 +0100, Janet wrote:
In article , bob says...

I've had a frog in my garden for 3 years or so and I wonder if anyone
might have some insights?

It seems to be a bachelor, I've never seen 2 frogs. How does it cope
with the boredom?

Can they survive drought? I've been watering regularly round its
favourite spot but I'm going to have to leave the garden for a couple
of weeks and the forecast doesn't look wet. *I was thinking of sinking
a plastic container with water into the soil underneath a heather
thereby reducing loss through evaporation. *Or will he (she) just dig
herself down till it gets damp enough.

*Are you sure it's a frog not a toad? iirc toads are more often solitary
(and longlived)

not certain but...la voici

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/IMG_0158%20ps.jpg

*Janet- Hide quoted text -

Looks more like a toad (warts) but the common ones are brown not green.
Old 28-05-2011, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

- many thanks for all the posts, the advice and the definitive ID
from rbel - google images confirms it's a ringer for Rana esulenta.
What wasn't evident from my pic were its enormous back legs, easily 3
times the width of his body and I took the libery of giving it a tiny
prod whereupon it jumped a froggy mile.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's forgiven me now that I've built it a glorious
swimming pool. Let's hope it doesn't dry out before my return, the
forecast for next week suggests a bone-dry scorcher.
Old 28-05-2011, 08:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post

He looks very warty for a frog. Frogs hop, toads sort of clamber along.
You're right, he does look warty for a frog. But I've never seen a toad that green - they are always well camouflaged against soil. And he's more of a frog shape than a toad shape. Frogs have slightly more weight towards the back, toads are uniformly fat all the way up. And their face is more rounded than this one. Bit shiny for a toad, too. Unless he's some sort of exotic?
__________________
Old 29-05-2011, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

rbel wrote in message ...
On Sat, 28 May 2011 15:42:39 +0200, bob wrote:

Are you sure it's a frog not a toad? iirc toads are more often
solitary
(and longlived)

not certain but...la voici

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10508583/IMG_0158%20ps.jpg

He looks very warty for a frog. Frogs hop, toads sort of clamber along.

Janet.

I've never actually seen it move, and I don't like to move it along.
You're right, it is fairly warty.

Given the colour and the black spots it looks very much like the
Edible frog, Rana esulenta. If you are interested in garden
amphibians you may want to have a look at this NE pdf:

I agree, it's a Rana esculenta. We don't have them in U.K. I don't think,
I've only ever seen them in France. It's the bright green colour and the
yellow stripe along the back that gives them away.

Here in S. Wilts in my small garden I have Belfast sinks everywhere and they
are inhabited by frogs, as are my two garden ponds.

I was really upset to find last year that my oldest and well-known frog had
somehow managed to clamber out of the pond and into my greenhouse and died
of dehydration. So I shall have to put a Belfast sink into the greenhouse
now, as well :-(.

someone