Old 10-06-2011, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT - Age of posters on this NG (and gardeners in general)

wrote:

We had some 30-somethings at the allotments last year who hired in
contractors to do their whole plot. Then left it, expensive potting shed
and all, abandoned after a year.

Sounds about right. Dear Lady hasn't quite accepted that veggies grow
(usually) in the dirt, despite the "plays in the dirt" cap* that a friend
once gave me.

*in American, "Baseball Cap," don't know how that translates to English.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gary Woods wrote:
*in American, "Baseball Cap," don't know how that translates to English.

The same. :-)
Old 11-06-2011, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There don't seem to be many people who admit to being under 30
responding. As someone who is more than twice the age and has gardened
for many years, I still learn from here and ask questions.

My mother was the gardener in our house, father did the digging and cut
the lawns etc, but hated it! I learnt a bit from her, but was not really
interested until we moved into a new house as newly weds and was faced
with a small garden to sort out. Once I had my first crops of veggies, I
never looked back.

The wife is in charge of the flowery bits, but I deal with the rest,
although age means weeding and planting take longer and I now wish I has
raised beds!

Many younger people have neer gardened becuase of the readily available
supply of cheapish veggies and seemingly endless cash to waste on them.

Daughter (now approaching 40) enjoys gardening and growing veggies, her
husband does not. Son will maintain the lawn & flowerbeds they have but
nothing else.

If there is such a lack of younger gardeners, why is there still such a
demand for allotments. Maybe they are too busy on their plots to urgle!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 12-06-2011, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Roger Tonkin writes
If there is such a lack of younger gardeners, why is there still such a
demand for allotments. Maybe they are too busy on their plots to urgle!

I assume it's forty plus people who have more leisure time or who
believe in getting their food without all the chemicals, around here
people are very fussy what they serve to their children, especially the
toddlers,
Although we don't often admit it, many people have retired early or are
fitter than they would have been years ago at retirement age.

Years ago my dad had two allotments where we lived in New Eltham and we
used to have areas to grow stuff in. I seem to remember early summer
evenings having to go to bed whilst it wasn't quite dark and listening
to the repetitive backward and forward sound of manual lawnmowers
cutting the lawns in the back gardens - it was the essence of summer
days!
In the late fifties gardens seemed to have roses yet more roses,
Michaelmas daisies and dahlias. Can't remember many other flowers, just
lots of leaves for very few flowers and the desolate stems of hard
pruned rose bushes in the winter

When I got married i can remember carting a huge long trough up to the
balcony that the married quarters had and growing lettuce in it and I
was only 18 at the time.

My first love has always been sowing and striking cuttings etc. it's
that first initial growth of something new that I appreciate, once the
plants are reasonable size I tend to give them away or swap them for
more cuttings

--
Janet Tweedy

Old 12-06-2011, 01:49 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

There aren't many under-30s replying on gardenbanter!
__________________

Old 12-06-2011, 11:18 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Sorry, careless wording on my part.

"There aren't many people who admit to being under 30
responding on gardenbanter"
__________________
Old 12-06-2011, 11:20 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

A process of deduction - most replies (as opposed to "me too" add on
questions) are from Urglers and most Urglers are over 30, methinks.
Most *people* are over 30, I would think.
__________________
Old 12-06-2011, 11:22 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Most *people* are over 30, I would think.
... yes - median age for UK is 39

National Statistics Online - Ageing
__________________
Old 13-06-2011, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:00:55 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , kay.86a8536
says...

Janet;926423 Wrote:
In article ,
says...-

There don't seem to be many people who admit to being under 30
responding.-

That could just indicate that younger people aren't much aware of
usenet
and prefer twitter or facebook or gardenbanter.

Janet.

There aren't many under-30s replying on gardenbanter!

How does one tell their age?

by counting the rings?

In their posts?

Mike

Old 13-06-2011, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Jun 2011 17:00:55 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article , kay.86a8536
says...

Janet;926423 Wrote:
In article ,
says...-

There don't seem to be many people who admit to being under 30
responding.-

That could just indicate that younger people aren't much aware of
usenet
and prefer twitter or facebook or gardenbanter.

Janet.

There aren't many under-30s replying on gardenbanter!

How does one tell their age?

by counting the rings?

In their posts?

Try counting the absent capital letters....

Or the ranDom cApiTal leTterS scaTtered thRough the mEssage.

David

http://rance.org.uk