Old 08-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Registered User

Question Coleus Cuttings

I have chopped off some bits of my coleus plant which was getting leggy, in the hope of it bushing out again - if I suspend these cuttings in the neck of a bottle of water, will they root, or do I have to be more cunning that that - also where would I put them in the sun or in the shade, and how long to I wait before giving up the ghost on them?
Ta!
Glenys
Old 08-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenys Everest View Post
I have chopped off some bits of my coleus plant which was getting leggy, in the hope of it bushing out again - if I suspend these cuttings in the neck of a bottle of water, will they root, or do I have to be more cunning that that - also where would I put them in the sun or in the shade, and how long to I wait before giving up the ghost on them?
Ta!
Glenys
They should root in water, but they are just as easy to root in pots in ordinary multi-purpose compost.
Make the cuttings around 4-5 inches in length and cut them off at the bottom just underneath a pair of leaves.
Don't let any of the leaves touch either the water or the compost or they'll rot.
They'll take around 2 weeks to root out enough to pot if grown in water and should be kept out of full sun which is never good for cuttings.

Don't worry about them too much though, as they are one of the easiest things on earth to get to root.

Good luck! :-)
__________________
Yay! it's spring!
Old 09-06-2011, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Coleus Cuttings

On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 15:53:09 +0000, Glenys Everest
wrote:

I have chopped off some bits of my coleus plant which was getting leggy,
in the hope of it bushing out again - if I suspend these cuttings in the
neck of a bottle of water, will they root, or do I have to be more
cunning that that - also where would I put them in the sun or in the
shade, and how long to I wait before giving up the ghost on them?
Ta!
Glenys

I had success rooting a coleus relative in water and also taking
cuttings in a pot of soil in the usual way. This was the broad leaved
thme from Barbados. Sadly we've lost all the plants now.

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Registered User

Location: southwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenys Everest View Post
I have chopped off some bits of my coleus plant which was getting leggy, in the hope of it bushing out again - if I suspend these cuttings in the neck of a bottle of water, will they root, or do I have to be more cunning that that - also where would I put them in the sun or in the shade, and how long to I wait before giving up the ghost on them?
Ta!
Glenys
hi, i remember playing with coleus cuttings years ago, from memory they rooted easily in water
__________________
Brian Fletcher

www.sussexlandscapes.com
Old 09-06-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I have chopped off some bits of my coleus plant which was getting leggy,
in the hope of it bushing out again - if I suspend these cuttings in the
neck of a bottle of water, will they root, or do I have to be more
cunning that that - also where would I put them in the sun or in the
shade, and how long to I wait before giving up the ghost on them?
Ta!
Glenys

I had success rooting a coleus relative in water and also taking
cuttings in a pot of soil in the usual way. This was the broad leaved
thme from Barbados. Sadly we've lost all the plants now.

Pam in Bristol

Sorry for "thme" read "thyme".

Pam in Bristol

Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Glenys Everest wrote:

if I suspend these cuttings in the
neck of a bottle of water, will they root, or do I have to be more
cunning that that -

Coleus is one of the easiest plants to root- in water, in damp
compost...since it is extremely variable for seed, this is a good way to
increase the colors you like!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered User

Cool

Thanx all!
I'll just take them out of the window!! :-)

Glenys

overwintering coleus cuttings Phisherman[_1_] Gardening 3 21-11-2007 11:24 AM
Coleus cuttings McFadden57 Gardening 2 27-06-2004 05:03 AM
color change in coleus, chromatoghraphy, ploar chlorophyll Kim Plant Biology 2 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
"Piss Off" plant", Coleus canina ? Dennis G. Plant Biology 5 26-02-2003 02:46 PM
"Piss-off" Plant. Coleus canina Dennis G. sci.agriculture 0 23-02-2003 08:36 PM