Old 09-06-2011, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Titchmarsh V GW

Next week 17th June

Discuss

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
Next week 17th June

Discuss

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Titchmarsh every time!
Gardeners World is too full of either egotistical presenters or irrelavent horticulture.
Titchmarsh is the same sort of bloke as us lot on this forum, he loves gardening and loves to teach all the tricks of the trade and things that all proper gardeners need to know.
I mean, who cares about the latest faddy plant thats being planted into a stainless steel wellington or whatever.
I want to know why my honeysuckle isn't flowering or what to do with that patch of brambles at the end of my garden and things like that.
I do miss Alan from GW and I haven't really watched it since he went.
I'm enjoying his new series though, that to me is REAL gardening!

GW has really gone off the rails over the last 3-4 years because I think they are far too interested in fashion rather than the day to day stuff.
__________________
Yay! it's spring!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobium View Post
Titchmarsh every time!
Gardeners World is too full of either egotistical presenters or irrelavent horticulture.
Titchmarsh is the same sort of bloke as us lot on this forum, he loves gardening and loves to teach all the tricks of the trade and things that all proper gardeners need to know.
I mean, who cares about the latest faddy plant thats being planted into a stainless steel wellington or whatever.
I want to know why my honeysuckle isn't flowering or what to do with that patch of brambles at the end of my garden and things like that.
I do miss Alan from GW and I haven't really watched it since he went.
I'm enjoying his new series though, that to me is REAL gardening!

GW has really gone off the rails over the last 3-4 years because I think they are far too interested in fashion rather than the day to day stuff.
I've not seen any faddy plants that are being planted into a stainless steel wellington or whatevers in Gardner's world in the current series, it's much much better than last years.
I watched Alan Titchmarsh last night and yes it was quite good but if the two clash then GW will win every time
Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Granity

17th June

They clash

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granity View Post
I've not seen any faddy plants that are being planted into a stainless steel wellington or whatevers in Gardner's world in the current series, it's much much better than last years.
I watched Alan Titchmarsh last night and yes it was quite good but if the two clash then GW will win every time
I must admit it's probably because I haven't watched it for a long time but I was talking to a customer yesterday, and they said that it was a heck of alot better since monty don took over.

Perhaps I should watch it before posting an opinion lol :-P
__________________
Yay! it's spring!

Old 26-06-2011, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Drobium" wrote in message
news

Granity;926413 Wrote:
I've not seen any faddy plants that are being planted into a stainless
steel wellington or whatevers in Gardner's world in the current series,
it's much much better than last years.
I watched Alan Titchmarsh last night and yes it was quite good but if
the two clash then GW will win every time

I must admit it's probably because I haven't watched it for a long time
but I was talking to a customer yesterday, and they said that it was a
heck of alot better since monty don took over.

Well I have. Whilst GW is somewhat better for having Monty Don back I am
afraid GW lost me many years ago and it hasn't done anything to reverse its
credentials enough for me to return.

Alan Titchmarsh on the other hand can present a coffee book gardeners
programme and I can still watch him. Its partly knowing he has credentials
( and isn't just a silly garden designer - or worse jewelry designer turned
gardener , no offence meant) .

Old 26-06-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:22:10 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Drobium" wrote in message
news

Granity;926413 Wrote:
[...]

GW is better inasmuch as we've lost the gimmicks though there's a
large part of me that misses Toby's happy face. Monty's better -
perhaps because he's more comfortable - in his own garden than he was
in the last manufactured one he had to work with but I'm beginning to
think he's a bit dry and find my mind is wandering when watching GW
now. Initially I thought the new series was really good but I don't
think, for me anyhow, it's standing the test of time.

I agree about Alan's presentational skills. What interests me though
is his frequently moving hair parting which seems to shift right,
left, centre.....

And I must admit I do miss the "bounce" of Ground Force (work that out
)

But all said, if ITV commission a longer series of Love Your Garden,
I'll be watching it and if it goes head to head with GW, I think at
the moment it would win in my mind (as it did the other week in
everyone's mind it would seem).

Oh for those halcyon days of Geoff Hamilton.......
Old 27-06-2011, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:22:10 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Drobium" wrote in message
news

Granity;926413 Wrote:
[...]

Well, if no offence meant, why say it? You might as well say "he only
got a 2:2 in English". I agree AT's professional credentials are far
better; but has MD made a mistake yet?

(I award Monty the "real gardener" accolade because last week he was
gardening in what turned out to be the trousers of the suit he was to
wear at the live show. Only a genuine gardener would do something that
silly with his best suit! Mind you, it _was_ purple, which is a bit
designery for me.)

--
Mike.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:22:10 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Drobium" wrote in message
news

Well I have. Whilst GW is somewhat better for having Monty Don back I am
afraid GW lost me many years ago and it hasn't done anything to reverse
its
credentials enough for me to return.

Alan Titchmarsh on the other hand can present a coffee book gardeners
programme and I can still watch him. Its partly knowing he has
credentials
( and isn't just a silly garden designer - or worse jewelry designer
turned
gardener , no offence meant) .

Well, if no offence meant, why say it? You might as well say "he only
got a 2:2 in English". I agree AT's professional credentials are far
better; but has MD made a mistake yet?

Well since you mention it, I think he has made a number of mistakes . Not
mentioning he is quite fashionable with jios ideas as opposed to real
gardening.

And I will take back the re giving no offence. He was a failed jewelry
maker. He was not a gardener . None of his colleagues on GW are gardeners
either. They are desiginers. I live near a "garden designer" ( medel from
Chelsea Flower Show). She doesnt know a damn thing about gardening.

(I award Monty the "real gardener" accolade because last week he was
gardening in what turned out to be the trousers of the suit he was to
wear at the live show. Only a genuine gardener would do something that
silly with his best suit! Mind you, it _was_ purple, which is a bit
designery for me.)

Exactly.

Old 27-06-2011, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:00:42 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:22:10 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Drobium" wrote in message
news

Well I have. Whilst GW is somewhat better for having Monty Don back I am
afraid GW lost me many years ago and it hasn't done anything to reverse
its
credentials enough for me to return.

Alan Titchmarsh on the other hand can present a coffee book gardeners
programme and I can still watch him. Its partly knowing he has
credentials
( and isn't just a silly garden designer - or worse jewelry designer
turned
gardener , no offence meant) .

Well, if no offence meant, why say it? You might as well say "he only
got a 2:2 in English". I agree AT's professional credentials are far
better; but has MD made a mistake yet?

Well since you mention it, I think he has made a number of mistakes .

And these are..? I don't mind being caught out in an error, as long as
the error is corrected.

Not
mentioning he is quite fashionable with jios ideas as opposed to real
gardening.

I'm probaby being dense, but I can't work out what "jios" is a typo
for. He's always getting his hands dirty on the programme: he does all
the gardening operations (well, no grafting, AFAIK) on the screen. I
call that real gardening.

And I will take back the re giving no offence. He was a failed jewelry
maker. He was not a gardener . None of his colleagues on GW are gardeners
either. They are desiginers. I live near a "garden designer" ( medel from
Chelsea Flower Show). She doesnt know a damn thing about gardening.

That looks like a spirited move from the particular to the general to
me; and I don't think your neighbour appears on the programme. But
Carole Klein isn't a designer, is she? I thought she was a
professional nurserywoman. I can do without Joe Swift and Rachel de
Thame; but we _are_ talking about Monty Don.

Old 27-06-2011, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:00:42 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:22:10 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Drobium" wrote in message
news

[...]

uk.rec.gardening

rec = 'recreation'

From my Dictionary ........ recreation /rek-/ n. pastime; relaxation.
recreational a.

When one looks at the back biting, digs, jibes, lies, accusations etc etc
etc etc etc which goes on in this newsgroup/forum, it would appear that the
""recreation"" element has been dropped in favour of 'self glory' by more
than just a few of the posters in this newsgroup/forum

Correct me if I am wrong, I'm not often wrong, but please feel free to have
a go at me, quite a few usually do and promptly get put down and they vanish
with their tails between their legs ;-)

Kindest possible regards ...... as ever ;-))

Mike

May you ' Rust in Peace' before you start the 'Countdown to Extinction'

Old 27-06-2011, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 14:00:42 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 26 Jun 2011 17:22:10 +0100, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

"Drobium" wrote in message
news

I'm probaby being dense, but I can't work out what "jios" is a typo
for. He's always getting his hands dirty on the programme: he does all
the gardening operations (well, no grafting, AFAIK) on the screen. I
call that real gardening.

It was actually meant to be "his" . Sorry about the typing ( and the fact my
spellcheck didnt break in either).

That looks like a spirited move from the particular to the general to
me; and I don't think your neighbour appears on the programme. But
Carole Klein isn't a designer, is she? I thought she was a
professional nurserywoman. I can do without Joe Swift and Rachel de
Thame; but we _are_ talking about Monty Don.

Well lets not discuss Carol Klein then. I would rather not say what I
think. Of course this is al about opinions isnt it?

Old 28-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered User

Location: SE England

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] View Post
Next week 17th June Discuss Mike
It seems to me, reading the previous posts between the lines, that the discussion boils down to toff Monty Don v Alan Titchmarsh, man of the people.
If you look up their biogs at Wikipedia, you'll read things that will hopefully make you respect both men.

Alan Titchmarsh seems to be winning the ratings war, but personally I watch and enjoy both on i-player.

Btw, having watched Monty Don making a herb garden in an old container, I got my husband to drill drainage holes in my aluminium preserving pan, which he had been using for sand I have sewn herb seeds from Lidl in it and hope it will look great later

Old 28-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobium View Post
I must admit it's probably because I haven't watched it for a long time but I was talking to a customer yesterday, and they said that it was a heck of alot better since monty don took over.
I like the new GW with Monty Don a lot. He's practical and clearly loves getting his hands dirty. The new Titchmarsh I find a bit... thin? I like his books though.

Laura