Old 14-06-2011, 05:32 PM
scrapmum's Avatar
Registered User

Exclamation Pom pom primula

Hi folks
I have just joined and I have a question for you that I hope you can help me with.
I have some stunning pom pom primulas which are getting very clumpy (is that a real word)? How and when do I thin them out because I have never done this before?
Old 14-06-2011, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Pom pom primula

--
scrapmum

I presume you mean Primula Denticula by pop pom primula.
When to divide is dependant on where you are growing them, if they are
somewhere damp and shaded then you can divide after flowering, in less
favourable conditions I'd leave it till the end of Sept.
Old 15-06-2011, 09:57 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
On Jun 14, 5:32*pm, scrapmum
wrote:
Hi folks
I have just joined and I have a question for you that I hope you can
help me with. *
I have some stunning pom pom primulas which are getting very clumpy (is
that a real word)? *How and when do I thin them out because I have never
done this before?

--
scrapmum

I presume you mean Primula Denticula by pop pom primula.
I suppose it's just conceivable they could be double primroses, which have become popular over the last few years.

Just after flowering would be the time to divide them. Dig them up - you;'ll see that they are indeed a clump of separate plants - and gently pull, shake, and tease them apart. Replant, and keep them well watered for the rest of the summer until they're well settled.
__________________
Old 15-06-2011, 10:10 AM
scrapmum's Avatar
Registered User

Hi
I think it is Primula Denticulata they are purple and look like the picture of this species.
I am a bit worried abut going on holiday and leaving them for two weeks without water as they are in a sunny position, not that we are having much sun just now.
If I came back would dividing them in mid August be too late for them or should I leave them till next spring?
Anne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post

Old 15-06-2011, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

kay;926856 Wrote:

I suppose it's just conceivable they could be double primroses, which
have become popular over the last few years.

Just after flowering would be the time to divide them. Dig them up -
you;'ll see that they are indeed a clump of separate plants - *and
gently pull, shake, and tease them apart. Replant, and keep them well
watered for the rest of the summer until they're well settled.

--
scrapmum

As I said " in less favourable conditions I'd leave it till the end of
Sept".
they are in a sunny position, this would qualify as less favourable in
my book
David

Old 15-06-2011, 04:15 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapmum View Post
Hi
I think it is Primula Denticulata they are purple and look like the picture of this species.
I am a bit worried abut going on holiday and leaving them for two weeks without water as they are in a sunny position, not that we are having much sun just now.
If I came back would dividing them in mid August be too late for them or should I leave them till next spring?
Anne Marie
Gardening is always a compromise between the ideal and what is actually possible. I'd have thought mid-Aug would be fine.
__________________
Old 15-06-2011, 07:58 PM
scrapmum's Avatar
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Gardening is always a compromise between the ideal and what is actually possible. I'd have thought mid-Aug would be fine.
Hello folks
Thank you everyone who took the time to read and reply to my query, I really do appreciate your help.
I think I will leave them until I come back from holiday as I would so hate for them to die off because I was not here to water them.
Thank you all once again for your help. :-)
Anne Marie x
Scrapmum
Anne Marie