Old 17-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered User

Location: berkshire
Smile water feature

hi all,
im doing a bit of work in the garden now getting new stuff and what not and i thought about a water feature in front of the window, then i thought about making my own as a small project for pass time. iv' researched it and basically know what im doing but the thing im stuck on is what rock to use as part of the actuall fountain feature not the rockery at the bottom.
can anyone advise me in what kind of rock to get and where would be the best place to get it from that wouldn't be to expensive because if it costs too much i might aswell just buy one from my local garden centre.
the only thing i can think of is slate but i dont know what shape size weight etc to get, i dont even know if it would affect anything else.
someone please please get back to me help me out abit,
waiting for all your replies,
THANKS IN ADVANCE !!
Old 17-06-2011, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default water feature

In message , zuhayr-123
writes

hi all,
im doing a bit of work in the garden now getting new stuff and what not
and i thought about a water feature in front of the window, then i
thought about making my own as a small project for pass time. iv'
researched it and basically know what im doing but the thing im stuck on
is what rock to use as part of the actuall fountain feature not the
rockery at the bottom.
can anyone advise me in what kind of rock to get and where would be the
best place to get it from that wouldn't be to expensive because if it
costs too much i might aswell just buy one from my local garden centre.
the only thing i can think of is slate but i dont know what shape size
weight etc to get,

A better idea of what exactly you are thinking of would help. When you
say 'rock for part of the fountain' what exactly are you thinking of. A
sketch might help. Do it with a drawing program, or with a pencil and
photo/scan it and upload to somewhere like tinypics if you don't ahve
somewhere online to post piccies

--
Chris French

Old 17-06-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"zuhayr-123" wrote
im doing a bit of work in the garden now getting new stuff and what not
and i thought about a water feature in front of the window, then i
thought about making my own as a small project for pass time. iv'
researched it and basically know what im doing but the thing im stuck on
is what rock to use as part of the actuall fountain feature not the
rockery at the bottom.
can anyone advise me in what kind of rock to get and where would be the
best place to get it from that wouldn't be to expensive because if it
costs too much i might aswell just buy one from my local garden centre.
the only thing i can think of is slate but i dont know what shape size
weight etc to get, i dont even know if it would affect anything else.
someone please please get back to me help me out abit,
waiting for all your replies,
THANKS IN ADVANCE !!

Basically you need a rock that does not dissolve in water. Slate is OK as is
granite whereas chalk or marble isn't. The old test was to splash some
vinegar in the rock/gravel and if it reacts then it's no good.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuhayr-123 View Post
[...]
Hi Zuhayr. I think that if you want it as cheaply as possible you must use rocks found in your area ! I'm lucky, I live In Penryn Cornwall, right on the granite so, obviously thats the cheapest for me. Have a look around for some major roadworks or construction and see whats lying around ! I remember when they built the M5 near Clevedon where my mother lived at the time and I found some lovely limestone with which to bild my mothers rockery at the time. Try also reclaimation yards for slate/ stone ! or even other materals like brick maybe ?
Lannerman

Mossies in water feature Teddy Australia 19 05-12-2004 01:09 AM
Method running water from creek to garden water feature lee brown Gardening 1 23-04-2003 04:32 AM
Water feature gary linley Gardening 5 29-03-2003 04:56 AM
Water Feature gary linley Gardening 3 18-03-2003 10:32 AM
water feature manil United Kingdom 5 26-01-2003 11:37 AM