Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Will it never end?

"Fuschia" wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 21:02:24 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

I want to see money put to good use. When they are taught to stop
producing
children in such a hopeless climate, then I might consider them.

Year after year, the same appeal for the same places. Fine if the money did
some 'lasting' good.

It's a great pity your mother didn't use contraception.

I don't thing the pill was around when Mike was conceived. Next personal
dig?

Pete C

Old 10-07-2011, 12:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

When will this blasted rain stop?
The last 2 days have given us 1.35 inches of rain and its still coming
in some very heavy bursts.
I should have got my planting finished this week, instead I've just
managed to get around 280 dahlias planted.
Just want to win the Euro lottery tonight and I could get away from
the rain.........some hope.

Are these dahlias you've brought on under glass?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jul 10, 12:32*am, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
"Dave Hill" *wrote in message

When will this blasted rain stop?
The last 2 days have given us 1.35 inches of rain and its still coming
in some very heavy bursts.
I should have got my planting finished this week, instead I've just
managed to get around 280 dahlias planted.
Just want to win the Euro lottery tonight and I could get away from
the rain.........some hope.

Are these dahlias you've brought on under glass?

I am planting out the stock plants which I divide when I plant.
A new problem this year is a couple of rabbits that have developed a
taste for dahlias, they think that when I plant I am putting out fresh
food for them, they will happily trim back around 60 plants in a
night.
This year I am having to rethink the way I have been growing the
dahlias as the EU in its wisdom have banned the use of Gramoxone which
I used as a contact weed killer to burn of young weed to give me a
stale seed bed and the 2 chemicals I used after plantibg to stop new
weed seed germinating.
I now have to prepare beds covered with a ground cover fabric and then
cut through it to plant. I plant 3 rows to a bed.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

I am planting out the stock plants which I divide when I plant.
A new problem this year is a couple of rabbits that have developed a
taste for dahlias, they think that when I plant I am putting out fresh
food for them, they will happily trim back around 60 plants in a
night.

This kit will protect about 100m, plus you can extend it.
http://www.electricfence-online.co.u...it-361522.html

I'm tempted to get one for the garden. What I like, is the fact that the
fence doesn't need to be in a loop.

Old 10-07-2011, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

Thunder with huge downpour this p.m. - so much came down so quickly
that my gutters could not take it and my bay window started to leak at
the junction with the house. I had to put a container on top of the
back of my settee to catch it and there was more than in inch in there
by the time it stopped. Tina

I just want to say that your bay window should not leak whether your
guttering is good or not.
This bay window needs urgent attention to get it sealed properly.
Probably lead flashing problem, but it won't right itself, and if you have
a flood from it as it gets worse and your settee and carpet get ruined by
it, you might have an insurance claim which may get rejected.
Doom and gloom I know, but I think it is something that needs attention
now.

Yeah, I know it shouldn't leak and I didn't know it did until the torrent
came, I was just trying to illustrate the amount and ferocity of the rain we
got.
You are probably right that it is a flashing problem. I had the flashing
renewed about 10 years ago for the same thing (leaked during torrential
rain) which cured it. I would have expected it to last a bit longer, tbh,
but I will get it looked at. Builders tell me it is notoriously hard to
diagnose where the problem is with leaking bays, especially on a house that
has rendering on, which mine has.

Thanks for caring, Baz!

Tina

Old 17-07-2011, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I want to see money put to good use. When they are taught to stop
producing
children in such a hopeless climate, then I might consider them.

It's a great pity your mother didn't use contraception.

I echo that thought. I will not keep the thread going after this though as
this is what he thrives on. Suffice to say I pay 8 quid/month to the Save
the Children fund, and I am told by them it supports a family and makes a
real difference.

Old 21-07-2011, 12:15 AM
Registered User

Hi Baz,

The increase in wind speed is due world wide deforestation. The more trees we cut down the stronger will be the wind velocity.

Trees act as a buffer to wind speed across the land, no trees no buffer, sadly this is happening all over the world.

uriel
Old 21-07-2011, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jul 21, 12:15*am, uriel13
wrote:
'Baz[_3_ Wrote:

;929611']"Bob Hobden" wrote in news:97o7m2F39dU1
@mid.individual.net:
-
We have had rain too but nothing to moan about, it's this wind that is

annoying me, always seems to be a wind these days.
-

I thought it was just me who thinks this.

Baz

--
uriel13

That must be why we have strong winds comming in off the
Atlantic........No Trees
Old 21-07-2011, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Jul 21, 12:15 am, uriel13
Hi Baz,

The increase in wind speed is due world wide deforestation. The more
trees we cut down the stronger will be the wind velocity.

Trees act as a buffer to wind speed across the land, no trees no buffer,
sadly this is happening all over the world.

That must be why we have strong winds comming in off the
Atlantic........No Trees

I knew that cutting down all those Atlantic forests would end in tears :-)

Mike