Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Grave Solution

Hi

I've been trying to find a solution to the problem of keeping a floral
presence on my mum's grave when my siblings and I are too far away to
guarantee any kind of regular maintenance.

She loved Poppies and someone suggested a pot on her grave with some
poppies in it which would then self seed on an annual basis but
thinking about pots in my garden and what happens when they're not
regularly watered, even in the UK climate this sounds like a bit of a
pipe dream to me. My experience is that he things you want to grow in
the pots die and then more hardy weeds and grass take over until
there's a longer dry spell and then they die too and what you're left
with ends up looking like a section of the tundra. In this case
there''s a very high chance the whole thing would end up looking
neglected which is the last thing we'd want.

Can anyone feed back on the above and offer any solutions?

TIA

Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

louisxiv wrote in message ...
[...]

If you can visit 4 times a year, a pot with a posy of silk flowers 'of the
season'

Been there, done that with my father in law's grave.

Mike

Old 11-07-2011, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2011 11:37 AM, louisxiv wrote:
Hi

I've been trying to find a solution to the problem of keeping a floral
presence on my mum's grave when my siblings and I are too far away to
guarantee any kind of regular maintenance.

This is a tough problem and I'm very interested in any solutions... My
Mum's grave is near Camarthen and I don't get there often.

-E

Old 11-07-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 07/11/2011 11:37 AM, louisxiv wrote:
Hi

I've been trying to find a solution to the problem of keeping a floral
presence on my mum's grave when my siblings and I are too far away to
guarantee any kind of regular maintenance.

This is a tough problem and I'm very interested in any solutions... My
Mum's grave is near Camarthen and I don't get there often.

-E

If you can visit 4 times a year, a pot with a posy of silk flowers 'of the
season'

Been there, done that with my father in law's grave.

Mike

and it doesn't need permission, someone else's help or cost money :-))

Mike

Old 11-07-2011, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-07-11 13:27:26 +0100, Emery Davis said:

On 07/11/2011 11:37 AM, louisxiv wrote:
Hi

I've been trying to find a solution to the problem of keeping a floral
presence on my mum's grave when my siblings and I are too far away to
guarantee any kind of regular maintenance.

This is a tough problem and I'm very interested in any solutions... My
Mum's grave is near Camarthen and I don't get there often.

-E

See my response above and it also occurs to me that members of the
local pcc might know of someone willing to do this - or the local vicar
might know. Sounds to me like the makings of a little business
opportunity to me!

It's a business opportunity that several companies have already taken
up, as a search on "grave tending" will reveal. Many companies will
send a photo or two of their visit so you are reassured that they are
doing the job. Choose carefully as costs vary substantially. If you
can't contact a vicar or PCC, try a local funeral director - some
offer this ongoing service either direct or through a contractor.

Good ideas both, I will try contacting the vicar. I have also seen silk
flowers used with good effect, but she had a lifelong and not entirely
reasonable hatred of them so to avoid future hauntings I'd best not go
there.

-E
Old 11-07-2011, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-07-11 13:27:26 +0100, Emery Davis said:

[...]

E, I promise you she will not know. ;-)

As to haunting, do you believe in ghosts?

:-))

Mike

Old 11-07-2011, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"louisxiv" wrote ...
[...]

In a similar situation myself Mum being buried on the S. coast. The problem
there is also that they only allow headstones and cut the grass with
strimmers during the summer so certainly can't have any summer stuff and
shrubs, roses etc are forbidden anyway.
To give some flower, after trying a pot of chionadoxa that dissappeared, I
planted those small early daffodils all over her grave together with the
blue chionadoxa, the flowers and leaves then finish before they start
cutting and the bulbs have survived and have increased. To remember her I
also planted the same bulbs at home which tells me when they should be
flowering on her grave. Now thinking perhaps some autumn flowering cyclamen
might do OK too and seeing as they appear to be taking over our front garden
it won't cost much to try some.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 13-07-2011, 07:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-07-11 23:09:06 +0100, Janet said:

In article , louisxiv says...

Can anyone feed back on the above and offer any solutions?

The poppy idea won't work IMO; weeds would seed into the pot and
poppy seeds need full light to germinate.
You will have to ask the cemetary owner what is permitted there.
Someone asked me for a permanent, rabbit proof planting at the foot of
their parents headstone (the graveyard gave permission). The deceased were
keen cooks and gardeners. I planted rosemary,(for remembrance) sage (for
wisdom) and thyme, plus snowdrops and minute narcissus minimus.

Janet.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've learned a lot from it, not
least that Dumfries and Galloway Council are likely to put the kibish
on most things anyway. I hadn't though ot bulbs though which I may well
try. Thanks again.

Skimmer Solution BenignVanilla Ponds 0 03-06-2003 08:32 PM
watering solution needed Valkyrie Gardening 11 20-05-2003 03:20 PM
squirrels / bird feeder solution tom Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
squirrels / bird feeder solution Robbin Texas 0 27-03-2003 09:32 PM
Solution to carrying your coat around while working outdoors - CoatClip Doug Hitchcock Gardening 1 15-03-2003 06:56 PM