Old 25-07-2011, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ladybirds!

We have a lot of ladybirds on our allotment site!

Can't do any weeding or digging without seeing them. (Yes I am moving
them out of the way!)

Mind you I saw three newts whilst digging some spuds up this week too!

Any suggestions for cheap ideas for ladybird overwintering places?

(Yes I am thinking of winter already! )
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 25-07-2011, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:23:07 +0100, mogga
wrote:

We have a lot of ladybirds on our allotment site!

Can't do any weeding or digging without seeing them. (Yes I am moving
them out of the way!)

Mind you I saw three newts whilst digging some spuds up this week too!

Any suggestions for cheap ideas for ladybird overwintering places?

(Yes I am thinking of winter already! )

A decent wood pile will offer winter homes for ladybirds and a lot
more beneficial bugs, especially if, when building it, you add a pile
of leaf litter in the middle. The wood offers protection and the leaf
litter warmth.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 25-07-2011, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a lot of ladybirds on our allotment site!

Can't do any weeding or digging without seeing them. (Yes I am moving
them out of the way!)

Mind you I saw three newts whilst digging some spuds up this week too!

Any suggestions for cheap ideas for ladybird overwintering places?

(Yes I am thinking of winter already! )

A decent wood pile will offer winter homes for ladybirds and a lot
more beneficial bugs, especially if, when building it, you add a pile
of leaf litter in the middle. The wood offers protection and the leaf
litter warmth.

I second this advice - log piles are marvelous residences for beetles,
bugs and even bees.

rbel
Old 26-07-2011, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a lot of ladybirds on our allotment site!

Can't do any weeding or digging without seeing them. (Yes I am moving
them out of the way!)

Mind you I saw three newts whilst digging some spuds up this week too!

Any suggestions for cheap ideas for ladybird overwintering places?

(Yes I am thinking of winter already! )

A decent wood pile will offer winter homes for ladybirds and a lot
more beneficial bugs, especially if, when building it, you add a pile
of leaf litter in the middle. The wood offers protection and the leaf
litter warmth.

I second this advice - log piles are marvelous residences for beetles,
bugs and even bees.

rbel

Fab! A log pile sounds fairly easy.
(and cheap!)
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 26-07-2011, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

We have a lot of ladybirds on our allotment site!

Can't do any weeding or digging without seeing them. (Yes I am moving
them out of the way!)

Mind you I saw three newts whilst digging some spuds up this week too!

Any suggestions for cheap ideas for ladybird overwintering places?

(Yes I am thinking of winter already! )

A decent wood pile will offer winter homes for ladybirds and a lot
more beneficial bugs, especially if, when building it, you add a pile
of leaf litter in the middle. The wood offers protection and the leaf
litter warmth.

I second this advice - log piles are marvelous residences for beetles,
bugs and even bees.

rbel

I've seen exactly two ladybirds here this year, so far. And there are
lots of places for them to hide/nest/over-winter. We have log-piles, a
log store, compost heaps, a hollow tree over the lane, hundreds of
plants in flower or about to be, or just going over! Maybe the birds
get to them! 'tis a mystery because we so rarely see them and would be
happy to.

I have none in my garden, even the rhubarb has blackfly and hoverflies are
having a feast. Effing man and imports will see us as a race away forever.

On the plus side I have seen lots of bees in the garden this year so we can
pollinate the goods but can't eat them because the pests get to them first.

In the past when ladybirds were common we did as suggested and had a good
quantity ie: layering logs from felled trees, and their branches over
winter. This year zilch apart from spring when we had loads of them. Where
have they gone?

Baz
Old 06-08-2011, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 25/07/2011 16:23, mogga wrote:
We have a lot of ladybirds on our allotment site!

I hope they aren't Harlequins, see this article about the invasion of
toxic ladybirds:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...ybird-invasion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...cies-risk.html

--
Best regards,
Ms Fish

Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 32 27-03-2005 10:55 PM
Ladybirds galore Pam Morris United Kingdom 2 27-03-2005 10:50 AM
Greenfly / Ladybirds JennyC United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 01:11 PM
Ladybirds Troy United Kingdom 2 18-04-2004 05:07 AM
where are all the ladybirds? Pickle United Kingdom 6 08-07-2003 06:32 AM