Old 17-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Registered User

Default garden noob nightmare

hi me and girlfriend recently bought our first house, and it has a garden that is shaired with down stairs but are not bothered with gardening (and it shows), we have a 5ft fence all the way round the garden which is roughly 20ft x 40ft? to start me had a 30ft elderberry tree that has just been chopped to the stomp as was growing out of concrete and close to man hole cover so had to go, along the left side we have ivy covering the fence and its well esablished and need ideas of how to get rid it, as its about a foot deep by 5x40? so there is alot to go on the back fence we have a vine not sure wich one but has herat shape leaves with white flowers, the main prob with this as its been allowed to grow for about 6 years so its now got a total height of about 7ft by 2ft by 20ft and dont even think it starts in our garden as have been chopping like crazy but its so dence its like trying to cut through 100 birds nests as its quite twiggy, a neighbour lent me hedge trimmers and they jammed it was that thick!! finally problem number 3/1 as tree is gone appart from roots, the lawn was quite long so used a hover mower and left about 3in long, was ok but very yellow and storky left for a week and cut again looking better but this time was also lots of bald patches every ware and moss patches towards the back so racked up moss and remaining dead grass, then a few days later after a heavey rain i airated the soil as it was quite compacked and it is clay based, now there is quite large patches of dead or no grass and other places its still patchey neighbour said just keep watering as it will re grow, but currently seeing no groths as of yet any and all addvice would be great

thanks ant & katy
Old 17-08-2011, 09:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/08/2011 03:46, shailer wrote:
hi me and girlfriend recently bought our first house, and it has a
garden that is shaired with down stairs but are not bothered with
gardening (and it shows), we have a 5ft fence all the way round the
garden which is roughly 20ft x 40ft? to start me had a 30ft elderberry
tree that has just been chopped to the stomp as was growing out of
concrete and close to man hole cover so had to go, along the left side

OK. drill a few holes in the tree stump and add some glyphosate and then
later either copper sulphate, ammonium sulphamate (aka rootout) or
potassium nitrate (much slower) to encourage fungi and finish off the
tree. Otherwise it will sucker like crazy from the roots and break
through any weak concrete paths in the process.

we have ivy covering the fence and its well esablished and need ideas of
how to get rid it, as its about a foot deep by 5x40? so there is alot to
go on the back fence we have a vine not sure wich one but has herat
shape leaves with white flowers, the main prob with this as its been
allowed to grow for about 6 years so its now got a total height of about
7ft by 2ft by 20ft and dont even think it starts in our garden as have
been chopping like crazy but its so dence its like trying to cut through
100 birds nests as its quite twiggy, a neighbour lent me hedge trimmers
and they jammed it was that thick!! finally problem number 3/1 as tree

I wouldn't do too much with the ivy or the climber just yet. They are
nice and green and probably look a lot better than the decrepit fence
underneath and it is good habitat for wildlife especially in winter.

is gone appart from roots, the lawn was quite long so used a hover mower
and left about 3in long, was ok but very yellow and storky left for a
week and cut again looking better but this time was also lots of bald
patches every ware and moss patches towards the back so racked up moss
and remaining dead grass, then a few days later after a heavey rain i
airated the soil as it was quite compacked and it is clay based, now
there is quite large patches of dead or no grass and other places its
still patchey neighbour said just keep watering as it will re grow, but
currently seeing no groths as of yet any and all addvice would be great

Bag of compost, bag of sand and some cheap grass seed (now being
remaindered in some garden centres) there is still just about time to
reseed any bare patches and have the grass establish before winter.

Mix the sand and compost into the top couple of inches of bare patches
smooth down and add some grass seed and a sprinkling of sand on top. Try
not to walk on it or cut it for a couple of months.

One other piece of advice do the bit nearest your door first and get
that part looking nice rather than trying to smash the whole lot into
submission. Nothing beats fresh herbs from a kitchen garden.

Since it is your house decide if you want a fruit garden and where to
put it and a compost heap (as far from the house as possible). Get some
bare root raspberry canes and an apple/pear tree in autumn and enjoy
fresh cane fruit next year and grow spuds in the ground that will be
your future veg patch.

I am sure others will have different suggestions for how to proceed.
Best advice is do it a bit at a time!

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 17-08-2011, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Aug 17, 3:46*am, shailer
wrote:
hi me and girlfriend recently bought our first house, and it has a
garden that is shaired with down stairs but are not bothered with
gardening (and it shows), we have a 5ft fence all the way round the
garden which is roughly 20ft x 40ft? to start me had a 30ft elderberry
tree that has just been chopped to the stomp as was growing out of
concrete and close to man hole cover so had to go, along the left side

If youre interested you could reestablish an elder or 2 for fruit
elsewhere, from seed or cuttings.

we have ivy covering the fence and its well esablished and need ideas of
how to get rid it, as its about a foot deep by 5x40? so there is alot to

Ivy is easy: just cut through the stems near the ground. Job done.

go on the back fence we have a vine not sure wich one but has herat
shape leaves with white flowers, the main prob with this as its been
allowed to grow for about 6 years so its now got a total height of about
7ft by 2ft by 20ft and dont even think it starts in our garden as have
been chopping like crazy but its so dence its like trying to cut through
100 birds nests as its quite twiggy, a neighbour lent me hedge trimmers

if it needs to go, glyphosate, repeated applications. Or keep cutting
it all away - but dont give it a chance to grow. But first thing is to
cut it all off at ground level, then you've only got a small amount of
new growth to deal with.

and they jammed it was that thick!! finally problem number 3/1 as tree
is gone appart from roots, the lawn was quite long so used a hover mower
and left about 3in long, was ok but very yellow and storky left for a
week and cut again looking better but this time was also lots of bald
patches every ware and moss patches towards the back so racked up moss
and remaining dead grass, then a few days later after a heavey rain i
airated the soil as it was quite compacked and it is clay based, now
there is quite large patches of dead or no grass and other places its
still patchey neighbour said just keep watering as it will re grow, but
currently seeing no groths as of yet any and all addvice would be great

thanks ant & katy

grass will result if you just keep mowing. If you're in no rush it'll
restablish itself, the only thing you need do is mow as usual. If
youre in more of a hurry you could add food & seed, and rake it in so
the birds dont take it all.

NT
Old 18-08-2011, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, NT
writes
On Aug 17, 3:46*am, shailer
wrote:
hi me and girlfriend recently bought our first house, and it has a
garden that is shaired with down stairs but are not bothered with
gardening (and it shows), we have a 5ft fence all the way round the
garden which is roughly 20ft x 40ft?

snip

we have ivy covering the fence and its well esablished and need ideas of
how to get rid it, as its about a foot deep by 5x40? so there is alot to

Ivy is easy: just cut through the stems near the ground. Job done.

Except that Ivy will grow back again, but digging them out isn't that
hard.

The ivy left can be a bit of PITA to remove depending on what it's on.
If it's an old fence then you need to be wary of removing the Ivy as you
may end up having to replace the fence (the Ivy could well be supporting
what's left - and pulling it off could be damaging to the remaining
fence)

--
Chris French

Old 18-08-2011, 02:03 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
In article ,
says...
[color=blue][i]
The fast climber with white flowers is probably russian
vine , aka mile a minute, Fallopia baldschuanica

Janet.
yep thats the one as for the fence its old wire fence, and tho the ivy will look better we want decent sized borders for mini hedge type plants preferably evergreens and at the back a fig tree will be getting put there as its got all day light from 10am till it sets

Old 18-08-2011, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chris French" wrote ..

NT writes
shailer wrote:
hi me and girlfriend recently bought our first house, and it has a
garden that is shaired with down stairs but are not bothered with
gardening (and it shows), we have a 5ft fence all the way round the
garden which is roughly 20ft x 40ft?

snip

we have ivy covering the fence and its well esablished and need ideas of
how to get rid it, as its about a foot deep by 5x40? so there is alot to

Ivy is easy: just cut through the stems near the ground. Job done.

Except that Ivy will grow back again, but digging them out isn't that hard.

Cut through the roots just below ground and it won't resprout, but when the
top goes brown and dry it is a a bit of a fire risk so will need pulling off
the fence and disposing of.

The ivy left can be a bit of PITA to remove depending on what it's on. If
it's an old fence then you need to be wary of removing the Ivy as you may
end up having to replace the fence (the Ivy could well be supporting what's
left - and pulling it off could be damaging to the remaining fence)

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Old 23-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shailer View Post
on the back fence we have a vine not sure wich one but has herat shape leaves with white flowers, the main prob with this as its been allowed to grow for about 6 years so its now got a total height of about 7ft by 2ft by 20ft
Hi Ant & Katy,

I can't offer any help regarding actually getting rid of your vine but I am interested in it. It sounds a bit like it could be a Russian Vine, or Fallopia baldschuanica. I'm not a gardener but currently working as an Assistant Production Manager for a theatre. We need some Russian Vine for the set of a show we're currently working on and, if you're looking for somewhere to get rid of the vine you've cut away, we'd be more than happy to take it off your hands! Please message me back if you think this is something you'd be interested in.

Many thanks,

Lucy

NooB's lament Mike Patterson Ponds 17 04-05-2004 02:04 PM
?questions?questions? (noob) rasta Ponds 12 28-01-2004 03:18 AM
?questions?questions? (noob) rasta Ponds 0 15-01-2004 05:39 PM
Noob question....lighting and plants.. Eleer Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
Noob question....lighting and plants.. Eleer Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 29-03-2003 03:20 AM