Old 27-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Mike Patterson

Default NooB's lament

I could sure use something that eats algae about now.
My pond is staying green so far.

It went from totally opaque to about 8-10 inches visibility and seems
to be holding there for the last couple of weeks.

Done a couple of 25-30% water changes, no help a-tall.

I'm hoping the water hyacinth gets busy and helps. The fish appeared
to be eating the roots, so I started feeding them a bit more a couple
of days ago.

Also got some watercress starting to take off in the waterfall, but I
know it won't be a big help. Looks nice though. Softens up the looks
of the rocks.

Trying to figure out how I could retrofit a veggie filter.

Fighting the urge to buy a UV sterilizer.

On the upside I have a couple of lilies that are close to reaching the
surface, and the fish seem pretty chipper.

With all my web research, reading this group for about 3 years & such,
I still feel like The Compleat NooB. Oy.

Even worse, I'm outta beer. Used the last of it planting the hyacinth.
Wonder if I can use Tequila for planting? Well, OK, actually, a
Margarita was what I had in mind. Maybe I can use some of the salt in
the pond. Maybe lime juice is the magic cure-all for algae. :-)

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Old 27-04-2004, 02:07 AM
Ka30P

Sigh..... green water happens to all of us
at one time or the other.

This year I drained down the pond to knee height to get in and clean out plant
debris and repot the lilies. Filled it back up. Looked out the next morning.
Empty!!! Down to the last couple of inches. It was going over the back of the
filter.
Filled it all the way up. 3,000 gallons of nice new water.
Algae bloom. :-(
Now we are to fuzzy. I can see the fish but they are fuzzy. Picture of the pond
on my website taken this time last year, crystal clear.
Sigh...
I feel your pain ;-)

kathy :-)
Old 27-04-2004, 03:04 AM
Nedra

Mike, I sure do hope you figure out where to put the veggie filter.
Believe me ... it sure helped my pond clear to a sparkling crystal
in only two days. After being muddy brown for several years

You do know to build another pond up a bit from the original -
then liner it. My filter could be larger ... it is only 10% of
the surface of the pond.
I have a 500 gph pump feeding my filter. It sits
on a shelf across the pond - about 15 feet - then I have a hose
leading from that back across the bottom of the pond and into the
filter.
Don't use any rocks. I did the first year... wow! whatta mess.

Good Luck with whatever! ;-)
Nedra

Old 27-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Jim and Phyllis Hurley

Bummer, Mike...

Water change is unlikely to help. Time (and maybe that UV) should do it.
Our watercress grew huge and effective roots. May your hyacinth thrive.

Have you any water celery? It too does the root trick.

Your veggie filter makes sense to us.

I wonder if you could consider shoveling dirt like planting plants...BVs
special approach could make your digging painless...even if the pond might
look sort of haphazard.

May you see bottm soon.

Jim

Ask me about Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $120+ per child) at: jogathon.net

Old 27-04-2004, 02:05 PM

what kind of pond do you have? a veggie filter can be built up on a side of the
pond. It will look like a raised planting box. Ingrid

Mike Patterson wrote:
Trying to figure out how I could retrofit a veggie filter.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 27-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message

I could sure use something that eats algae about now.
My pond is staying green so far.

It went from totally opaque to about 8-10 inches visibility and seems
to be holding there for the last couple of weeks.

Done a couple of 25-30% water changes, no help a-tall.

This may even be helping the algae. IMHO, the only solutions to algae are

1) Chemicals. Verbotten in ponds, IMHO.
2) Too many plants. Like there is any such thing.
3) And UV clarifiers for the techno-geek.

I'm hoping the water hyacinth gets busy and helps. The fish appeared
to be eating the roots, so I started feeding them a bit more a couple
of days ago.

Plants will definately help.

Also got some watercress starting to take off in the waterfall, but I
know it won't be a big help. Looks nice though. Softens up the looks
of the rocks.

Oh it will. It will.

Trying to figure out how I could retrofit a veggie filter.

Not difficult. A great excuse for another pond!

Fighting the urge to buy a UV sterilizer.

Fight it, fight it!

On the upside I have a couple of lilies that are close to reaching the
surface, and the fish seem pretty chipper.

With all my web research, reading this group for about 3 years & such,
I still feel like The Compleat NooB. Oy.

Even worse, I'm outta beer. Used the last of it planting the hyacinth.
Wonder if I can use Tequila for planting? Well, OK, actually, a
Margarita was what I had in mind. Maybe I can use some of the salt in
the pond. Maybe lime juice is the magic cure-all for algae. :-)

There is no better cure for algae then beer in hand, patience in the heart.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Pond Newbie

I did the "barley straw extract" treatment, and my pond cleared up for the most part.
There is still a short growth of string algae, home and food to four extremely prolific
mystery snails, but the water is clear now.

I put some watercress in the veggie filter, but it is really pretty pathetic looking at
this point...

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

Old 27-04-2004, 04:04 PM
Benign Vanilla

"Pond Newbie" wrote in message
I did the "barley straw extract" treatment, and my pond cleared up for the

most part.
There is still a short growth of string algae, home and food to four

extremely prolific
mystery snails, but the water is clear now.

I put some watercress in the veggie filter, but it is really pretty

pathetic looking at
this point...

DeAnna

snip

When I tossed watercress into my VF it grew but did not thrive. As soon as I
moved it to where a current was, it went crazy. Do you have any moving
water?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 27-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Pond Newbie

LOTS of moving water. It is in the spillway. The plants were rather scruffy to begin
with... perhaps they will grow. I also had the falls turned off for a week or so, while I
fixed the leaks in the foam. Perhaps they just need to make up for lost time. I will move
them from the edges closer to the falls, perhaps that will help.

Thanks!
DeAnna

Old 02-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 02 May 2004 06:16:46 GMT, ~ jan JJsPond.us
wrote:

Mike, just out of curiosity, what's your pH? ~ jan

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:26:25 -0400, Mike Patterson wrote:

I could sure use something that eats algae about now.
My pond is staying green so far.

snip

I've been using these for testing:
http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/deta...ml?item=PTS300

According to this, my pH is about 7.2, nitrate is about 20, nitrite is
close to zero, hardness is soft (75), alkalinity is about 100.

Today is my birthday, and my wife has graciously allowed me to order a
Fish Mate 3000 Pressurized Filter (the one without the UV) from
Justliners as a gift. Hoping that'll help. Certainly can't hurt,
considering the particulates I see suspended in the water.

I'd prefer a veggie filter, but can't figure out any way to place one
that is both practical and aesthetically viable. Maybe next year I'll
build an upper pond to feed the main pond and use it as a veggie
filter.

My 1300 gallon pond gets pretty much full sun until about 7:00 in the
evening, and will for at least another 3-4 years until some of the
trees start to get bigger.

Old 02-05-2004, 07:06 PM
Steve and Lisa

So using Microbe Lift isn't a good idea?
http://store.watergardenweb.com/microbelift.html
(used it last year on a tiny pond ....cleared it up and no inhabitants were
harmed.)

Lisa

Old 02-05-2004, 09:06 PM
jammer

On Sun, 02 May 2004 10:44:55 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

Today is my birthday

Happy Birthday!
Old 02-05-2004, 11:06 PM
Mike Patterson

On Sun, 02 May 2004 14:25:22 -0500, jammer wrote:

On Sun, 02 May 2004 10:44:55 -0400, Mike Patterson
wrote:

Today is my birthday

Happy Birthday!

Elvis
Thangyaveramush!
/Elvis

Made it to 43, gonna try for 44 starting tomorrow. Maybe even 45 if I
get ambitious. :-)

Old 03-05-2004, 05:07 AM
jammer

wrote:

Today is my birthday

Happy Birthday!

Elvis
Thangyaveramush!
/Elvis

Made it to 43, gonna try for 44 starting tomorrow. Maybe even 45 if I
get ambitious. :-)

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.

45 aint so bad.....

?questions?questions? (noob) rasta Ponds 12 28-01-2004 03:18 AM
?questions?questions? (noob) rasta Ponds 0 15-01-2004 05:39 PM
Noob question....lighting and plants.. Eleer Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
A Lament Gill Hall United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 12:44 AM
Noob question....lighting and plants.. Eleer Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 29-03-2003 03:20 AM